New notebook for ubuntu..

elm669

2[H]4U
Now that I'm making some good money again I'm looking in to getting a new notebook as my 8 year old compaq armada is getting long in the tooth. Only requirements are that it must be compatible with linux and have the gpu power to run counterstrike and google earth. I've been looking at the "centrino" combination which from the looks of it has good linux compatibility. I'd also be open to an amd powered notebook just so long as it doesn't have a ati video card. I'd prefer it to have a nvidia card. I've set my price range for around $1000 max but if anyone can find one in the $1200-1300 range that would be doable. No windows only notebooks because I haven't touched windows in 6 months and don't feel like relearning it....

qb4ever said:
Now that I'm making some good money again I'm looking in to getting a new notebook as my 8 year old compaq armada is getting long in the tooth. Only requirements are that it must be compatible with linux and have the gpu power to run counterstrike and google earth. I've been looking at the "centrino" combination which from the looks of it has good linux compatibility. I'd also be open to an amd powered notebook just so long as it doesn't have a ati video card. I'd prefer it to have a nvidia card. I've set my price range for around $1000 max but if anyone can find one in the $1200-1300 range that would be doable. No windows only notebooks because I haven't touched windows in 6 months and don't feel like relearning it....

umm ..... are there laptops you can buy without a xp install.... I dunno if there are besides macs....perhaps posting this on the ubuntu forums might give you better suggestions.

If the intel graphics adapters are good enough, I'd recommend a thinkpad. They are generally speaking well supported, and nice, solid (if a bit bland) computers overall.
Lenovo are planning to ship some model with an empty disk and SuSE bundled, but I don't think they're available just yet. (It's not like installing linux on one that came with windows is much work, anyway.)

Back