New Norco RPC-4224 build almost complete.

fleggett

Gawd
I'm just lacking the controller card. I've canvassed the options from LSI/Avago, Adaptec, Highpoint, and Areca and it looks like the Areca wins by a long mile. This is the card to which I'm referring:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151173

As a huge plus, this variant already comes with six SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cables.

Does this card have any gotchas under Windows 10? And should I get a dedicated fan to blow on it?

I know I could go the much cheaper route by getting a one port + expander, but I'm a glutton for punishment. Besides, the above Areca looks mind-meltingly badass.

Thanks in advance!

ToddW2, just Windows 10 (Pro). Possibly with Storage Spaces. Haven't decided on the final software config yet. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I was meaning which drives you were running, it's likely that ARECA is not needed and a huge huge huge huge huge waste of money.

I'm confused now that you posted parts, is this a desktop in a rack you're building or is this supposed to be a server? The parts you listed are all desktop grade (even over clock?) parts, which are completely wrong for a server / storage server.

I would urge this combo which is way cheaper, and way more powerful should you want to run VMs, security cameras, etc...

- Supermicro 846 Chassis (if you don't have your NORCO)
-- Redundant PSU, Quiet with 4-Pin fans (most have), if you need you can always swap an ATX PSU and 120MM fans if you need it ultra-silent.

- Intel Xeon E5-2670 8-Core/16-Thread CPU $100 (you could run 1 or 2)

- SuperMicro 2P E5 Motherboard (200-300 used) You can start with 1 CPU add a 2nd now or later

- 8GB DDR3 RDIMM $15-25/Each

- IBM M1015 HBA (for your 3.5" HDs, connect to the 846 expander backplane) $60-100

- VMWare Esxi (Free) + Napp-IT Image/VM (Free) for running ZFS, then depending on your drives you could run RaidZ or mirrors (higher performance)

I'm not sure what your intended purposes are for the Samsung 950 NVME but if it's for the "OS" drive I would urge a cheap pair of Intel 320 SSD (40gbx2) ($20 or less each) mirrored for ESXI+Napp-IT VM, and then use the NVME drive for other "OS" VM images. Upgrade to Intel S3500 80GB or 120GB for $30-50/Each if you want a bit more new/warranty/etc.

If you don't plan to run any VMs then the nVME is likely not needed at all.

This should have shaved your cost a ton, and yielded you a MUCH higher performing server.

Last edited:
Todd is right, using windows and desktop parts in such a machine is a grave error. You can do much better for much cheaper.

Sorry for not following-up on this sooner. I get migraines on occasion and yesterday I had a doozy. Felt like drilling a hole in my head Darryl Revok style.

Regarding the parts list, fortunately or unfortunately, I'm committed at this point. Some of the hardware was gifted to me while others I purchased on my own. The 4224 had been collecting dust for many, many months until I recently pulled it out as a result of the hardware influx.

While I know the Norco is traditionally used as a server platform, I'm not quite doing that. I've replaced all the Delta fans with extremely quiet Noctuas and the box itself will be directly connected to my TV and used as a media source, primarily playing video formats via MPC-HC. I know almost nothing about advanced networking, RAID, or virtualization, so my intent was to throw Windows 10 Pro on the box and use its native Storage Spaces (SS) feature as a pooling solution.

I was mulling over something like FlexRAID since it runs in Windows, but I'm not sure it has any advantages over SS, particularly whatever version comes with W10 Pro (which I hear is fairly mature at this point and insanely easy to configure).

I wanted the box to be as clean, lean, and mean as possible, which is why I was considering the Areca. I didn't want to pursue the HBA+expander route (which I know is MUCH cheaper) because of this.

I hope that clears things up. BTW, thanks for the extensive parts list ToddW2. I was looking over Supermicro motherboards on Newegg and the MBD-X10DRC-LN4+-O looks utterly insane.

Trying to silence a server chassis is likely to give you yet more migraines! You might also find the Noctua's don't push enough air to cool the drives adequately in the bay's, look at the static pressure as well as the db measurements. Those cases are designed for high pressure fans for a reason.

Back