New Nokia Phone Name Means "Prostitute"

HardOCP News

[H] News
When these phones come out, I dare you to go tell your girlfriend/wife that you are heading out to pick up a prostitute. I double dare you. :D

Nokia customers, on the other hand, may have more of a problem with their new Lumia 800 and Lumia 710 phones, especially if they're up on their Spanish, a language in which the word lumia apparently means prostitute.

Turns out this was just BS. People from both Spain and Mexico have said 'That's not true.' I won't say what the real word for prostitute is, but it starts with 'p'.

That is actually not true. The word is similar to an adjective with some sexual connotations, the actual word is "Lumi" not Lumia, and it refers to a crumpet or groupie.

Goes without saying i am from spain.

Eh word means nothing in Cuban Spanish. Close to the spanish word for illuminate but no dice.

Complete lies and the translator he used is garbage and might be using obscure colloquializations of spanish if anything or it is like urban dict.

Pretty pissed the 800 isn't launching in the U.S. until 2012. I want that fucker badly.

I suppose the good news is though that Elop promised a "portofolio" of devices for the U.S. (so assuming more than just these two) as well as CDMA (!) phones so I'll be able to get some Nokia/WP7 goodness on Sprint when I upgrade from my HTC Arrive. :D

I just don't see how Lumia could mean prostitute in Spanish.
Now those Kulo headphones on the other hand... :p

Never heard a word for a prostitute that was even close to that in argentina.

Is this some fanboy trying to get back at android users because his favirote company called it's phone ass?

As a Spanish speaker I could also say that I have never heart this word before where I live.
However according to RAE. (La Real Academia de la Lengua Española), the maximum authority of the language, the word "Lumia" really means prostitute.

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=lumia

However the RAE is also full of words that are no longer used, so I don't know if this world is actually being used somewhere.

Pretty pissed the 800 isn't launching in the U.S. until 2012. I want that fucker badly.

I suppose the good news is though that Elop promised a "portofolio" of devices for the U.S. (so assuming more than just these two) as well as CDMA (!) phones so I'll be able to get some Nokia/WP7 goodness on Sprint when I upgrade from my HTC Arrive. :D

I was interested in it when I thought it would be a N9 running WP7. Then they went and ruined my interest by removing pentaband support (so there goes Tmobile and that $30 prepaid unlimited data plan), they cut the RAM in half, reduced the screen size, reduced the screen resolution, removed the front facing camera, lowered the build in storage amount, removed the microSD slot, and then said - 'And it's only roughly $600 at current currency conversion rates!'

I was interested in it when I thought it would be a N9 running WP7. Then they went and ruined my interest by removing pentaband support (so there goes Tmobile and that $30 prepaid unlimited data plan), they cut the RAM in half, reduced the screen size, reduced the screen resolution, removed the front facing camera, lowered the build in storage amount, removed the microSD slot, and then said - 'And it's only roughly $600 at current currency conversion rates!'

I have no idea why they removed the FFC (I don't care quite frankly) but the screen resolution is dictated by Microsoft. You don't need 1GB of RAM (yet) with WP7, the screen size had to be reduced to place the three capacitive buttons in (the N9 had no buttons, remember) and as far as the other things they removed...I don't know why.

You can use an SD card with WP7, but it ends up...sort of setting up in something like a RAID. You can't use it as removable storage, it's like inserting an HDD into a JBOD array or something along those lines. That's probably why they removed it, but they didn't necessarily need to. Why they lowered the built-in NAND however is beyond me, and as far as removing Pentaband support, that's another mystery.

Not true for as many south american countries as i can think of.

This must be another chance of a very VERY archaic word that is on the RAE just for old time's sake. (It is actually kinda "easy" to get a word added to the RAE, but it is a titanic waste of time to try and remove it...)

I think can help with this one lol
In Portugal lumia is indeed slang for prostitute... but a very uncommon word anyway. i'm almost sure i've never heard or seen it on television, books or any kind of media. it's one of those words you only hear in the streets once in a while.

Actually this is a really fitting name since Nokia basically whored themselves out to Microsoft with WP7.

Since this article is just strait up wrong can it please be deleted. It isnt right to knowingly leave a completely wrong piece of information up in anything that claims to be news. At the very least it needs an edit correcting the mishap

I have no idea why they removed the FFC (I don't care quite frankly) but the screen resolution is dictated by Microsoft. You don't need 1GB of RAM (yet) with WP7, the screen size had to be reduced to place the three capacitive buttons in (the N9 had no buttons, remember) and as far as the other things they removed...I don't know why.

You can use an SD card with WP7, but it ends up...sort of setting up in something like a RAID. You can't use it as removable storage, it's like inserting an HDD into a JBOD array or something along those lines. That's probably why they removed it, but they didn't necessarily need to. Why they lowered the built-in NAND however is beyond me, and as far as removing Pentaband support, that's another mystery.

Microsoft went way way too far in the lockdown of WP7. Half the RAM because Microsoft says so? Lower screen resolution because Microsoft says so? No SD slot because Microsoft just designed it that way intentionally? I mean - at that point, if I'm locked into the exact same version of hardware and performance why in the world would I not get the iPhone instead? I'm not willing to put up with those kinds of limitations so I use Android right now, but IF I was willing to put up with having all the major parts of the hardware dictated by one company I'd probably pick the iPhone with it's larger app market. Microsoft needed to update the look and feel of their OS, but locking things down entirely is taking things too far.

Microsoft went way way too far in the lockdown of WP7. Half the RAM because Microsoft says so? Lower screen resolution because Microsoft says so? No SD slot because Microsoft just designed it that way intentionally? I mean - at that point, if I'm locked into the exact same version of hardware and performance why in the world would I not get the iPhone instead? I'm not willing to put up with those kinds of limitations so I use Android right now, but IF I was willing to put up with having all the major parts of the hardware dictated by one company I'd probably pick the iPhone with it's larger app market. Microsoft needed to update the look and feel of their OS, but locking things down entirely is taking things too far.

It's to maintain a consistent user experience. Bitch all you want about some of the things they do, but they've managed to avoid the fragmentation that exists in the Android market. And no, I'm not even talking about the different software updates they run. I'm talking about how there are actually games in the market, that are designed to only run on particular devices because only they have the necessary SoC, or the necessary display, or the necessary storage, etc.

Frankly, I like how WP7 uses the SD card. I wish more companies would include MicroSD card slot for just that reason. I personally believe that Microsoft strikes a good balance between iOS and Android in terms of the different form factors it allows, while still maintaining compatibility between all devices.

As far as the 16GB of native storage goes..blame that squarely on the manufacturers. Microsoft has placed no such limit on that. There's a phone launched in Japan ( that I really wish would get launched over here, as it is an awesome looking phone) with no MicroSD card slot, but it does with 32GB of native NAND. That Nokia, and Samsung and HTC feel the need to limit it to 16GB in nearly all of their phones is squarely the fault of the manufacturer in this particular instance.

It's to maintain a consistent user experience. Bitch all you want about some of the things they do, but they've managed to avoid the fragmentation that exists in the Android market. And no, I'm not even talking about the different software updates they run. I'm talking about how there are actually games in the market, that are designed to only run on particular devices because only they have the necessary SoC, or the necessary display, or the necessary storage, etc.

Frankly, I like how WP7 uses the SD card. I wish more companies would include MicroSD card slot for just that reason. I personally believe that Microsoft strikes a good balance between iOS and Android in terms of the different form factors it allows, while still maintaining compatibility between all devices.

As far as the 16GB of native storage goes..blame that squarely on the manufacturers. Microsoft has placed no such limit on that. There's a phone launched in Japan ( that I really wish would get launched over here, as it is an awesome looking phone) with no MicroSD card slot, but it does with 32GB of native NAND. That Nokia, and Samsung and HTC feel the need to limit it to 16GB in nearly all of their phones is squarely the fault of the manufacturer in this particular instance.

You like that WP7 like these Nokia ones don't really have effective removable or upgradable storage? I just don't see how that could ever be a benefit. As for fragmentation - yes, if I buy the latest hardware I'm going to be HAPPY that apps exist that actually make good use of it instead of limiting themselves to whatever the lowest specced device running that OS happen to be. Look how much PC gamers complain about having their hardware held back by ports from consoles. (or gamer's reactions to RAGE because it was developed with consoles less powerful hardware in mind) I don't want software to hold itself back for everybody just to accommodate someone on older hardware.

Bottom line is that's Apple's approach (although even they have fully embraced dual cores and high powered GPUs now), and Microsoft can't beat Apple by adopting their downsides for their own OS. Lock everything down, and it minimizes problems, that's true. The downside is you remove a lot of choice. Some people are ok with that, some aren't. I like choice, so that's why I'm not on an iPhone. If I was ok with the OS maker telling me 'Oh, you can't have a phone with THOSE specs because we want a consistent user experience' I'd have an iPhone right now.

I'm curious to try WP7 because I haven't actually had my hands on it over a long period (only short periods) of time, but the limited hardware choice is a huge detraction for me. I want dual core, I want LTE, or at least HSPA+ 42Mbps, I want 1GB of RAM so I can run multiple apps at the same time. Again, if I was ok with a locked down device that was strictly controlled by the OS maker I'd have a iPhone 4 docked on my desk instead of a Droid Charge.

You like that WP7 like these Nokia ones don't really have effective removable or upgradable storage? I just don't see how that could ever be a benefit. As for fragmentation - yes, if I buy the latest hardware I'm going to be HAPPY that apps exist that actually make good use of it instead of limiting themselves to whatever the lowest specced device running that OS happen to be. Look how much PC gamers complain about having their hardware held back by ports from consoles. (or gamer's reactions to RAGE because it was developed with consoles less powerful hardware in mind) I don't want software to hold itself back for everybody just to accommodate someone on older hardware.

Bottom line is that's Apple's approach (although even they have fully embraced dual cores and high powered GPUs now), and Microsoft can't beat Apple by adopting their downsides for their own OS. Lock everything down, and it minimizes problems, that's true. The downside is you remove a lot of choice. Some people are ok with that, some aren't. I like choice, so that's why I'm not on an iPhone. If I was ok with the OS maker telling me 'Oh, you can't have a phone with THOSE specs because we want a consistent user experience' I'd have an iPhone right now.

I'm curious to try WP7 because I haven't actually had my hands on it over a long period (only short periods) of time, but the limited hardware choice is a huge detraction for me. I want dual core, I want LTE, or at least HSPA+ 42Mbps, I want 1GB of RAM so I can run multiple apps at the same time. Again, if I was ok with a locked down device that was strictly controlled by the OS maker I'd have a iPhone 4 docked on my desk instead of a Droid Charge.

I never said I liked that Nokia got rid of the expandable storage. I said I actually like how WP7 treats expandable storage, by "RAIDing" it together with the Native NAND storage.

As far as multitasking is concerned, you're restricted to the last 6 applications you've opened, that's why you literally don't need more than 512MB of RAM at the moment. Most applications are suspended into RAM, but at the developer's behest they can have specific tasks run in the background, such as playing music, downloading instant messages, etc, etc.

At the moment, having 1GB of RAM would do...next to nothing. LTE and Dual-core is coming, it just might not be here fast enough for your needs.

Windows Phone has it's short comings, but it's strength is in the simplicity and consistency. Today's devices don't have all the bells and whistles and there's a number of reasons for that but the main one I think is that Microsoft is trying to avoid to path of Windows Mobile which is very much like what Android is doing. It's easy to throw in features, it much harder to do it well. Android is already a hodge poge of devices, OS versions and apps and this might work here but not there, and this device might get an update but this one won't.

Android has much larger numbers than Windows Mobile ever did but in the end these things KILL a phone experience over time where there's simply too many things going on at once. Android is cheap and device makers can do with it what they want but that does add complexity when the vast majority want simplicity with mobile devices.

At any rate Windows Phone in it's current state really is a place holder. 2012 will be the year of Windows and the first year where Microsoft's grand strategy of a consistent UI, kernel and services across ALL devices goes to the general public. The next major version of Windows Phone, Apollo, with use the Windows 8 kernel and will be at the very least be very code compatible with Metro on larger devices. A consistent UI, with apps that have the same code base if not binary compatible, using a core set of local and web based APIs.

I don't think people really understand just how deep Microsoft's strategy is here and I think it's going to shock and awe a lot of folks just how powerful, interoperable and compatible with Windows world is about to become. Technically nothing quite like it has ever been done before, nothing that's on the scale of Windows.

As a Spanish speaker I could also say that I have never heart this word before where I live.
However according to RAE. (La Real Academia de la Lengua Española), the maximum authority of the language, the word "Lumia" really means prostitute.

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=lumia

However the RAE is also full of words that are no longer used, so I don't know if this world is actually being used somewhere.

I always remember www.rae.es . Anyway, if you look to the left, and put the mouse over the letters p. us. you see the note poco usado o usada, usados o usadas. Basically it means little used. In other words very rarely used. This word is an old archaic word who no one knows the origin of how it got to be used this way and it is rarely used. It is one of those words people don't even know exist. Much like vemonos. People rarely use this construction but it is perfectly valid and means we see each other.

The author must have used some shitty Android imitation of Siri to translate it.

Nice applehead troll (yet again, yet again).

We all know EVERYTHING like Siri, including Siri, is still shit and not accurate most of the time. Fad? Much like FBook.... nobody will talk about Fbook or Siri in 5 years, except those blogs saying "remember back when we used......"

Windows Phone has it's short comings, but it's strength is in the simplicity and consistency. Today's devices don't have all the bells and whistles and there's a number of reasons for that but the main one I think is that Microsoft is trying to avoid to path of Windows Mobile which is very much like what Android is doing.

I find it ironic and stupid that M$ won the OS wars with Apple by going with an open hardware closed software model. Then when it came to the phone way they got caught behind due to bad timing but they came up with an odd mix of the 2. And personally hardware wise it sickly fails. The onlything going for M$ at this point is 1 thing and that is office. Yes the phones are nice but so what when the vast majority of the public and development is going to the other 2 platforms. M$ needs options. Yes they need to make the defaults a certain way but they need options to treat removable storage like a removable storage. They also need hardware. If you go into sprint you got 1 choice for WP7 and if that does not suit you you will go Android. M$ screwed up IMO they need to get more hardware out now, every carrier needs at least 4 WP7 devices. 3 and 4 inch with and without keyboards. On top of that they need something with alot more storage but due to the lack of flexibility OEMs are just prefering to work with android since they can roll out phones faster. And that means all the people who want a fast phone like me are going android.

Like what other's have said, must've been a really bad translator, or a really insecure fanboy.

You gotta be fucking kidding me. People still waste their time typing this shit out?

Both IBM and Apple have already passed them for 1 and 2. Get over it already. :rolleyes:

umadbro?

M$ is a very short way to write their name, a way that everyone recognizes easily.
Heck they could be bankrupt and i would still use M$.

Welcome to the internet, where the use of shortened handles instead of names is the standard.

Nice applehead troll (yet again, yet again).

We all know EVERYTHING like Siri, including Siri, is still shit and not accurate most of the time. Fad? Much like FBook.... nobody will talk about Fbook or Siri in 5 years, except those blogs saying "remember back when we used......"

Facebook's already older than 5 years.

umadbro?

M$ is a very short way to write their name, a way that everyone recognizes easily.
Heck they could be bankrupt and i would still use M$.

Welcome to the internet, where the use of shortened handles instead of names is the standard.

No, MS is a very short way to write their names. M$ only shows that you will go out of your way to reach all the way up into the Number Row to hit the dollar sign instead of hitting the letter 'S' which lies right on the homerow. Because you are butthurt about something.

who still use nokia in the US? they might be be in Europe and Asia, but nobody use nokia here.

Back