New Nintendo Trademarks Hint At Game Boy Classic

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
A Japanese trademark bot on Twitter has spotted a new filing from Nintendo of Japan of Game Boy-related trademarks, sparking speculation that a Game Boy Classic may be in the works. Japanese site Ninten-Switch.com found the trademark coers a wide range of subjects from "programs for home video game machines, to smartphones cases, smartphone covers, key rings, cards, and necklaces.

Seems like Nintendo has realized their best bet for making money is in the nostalgia of their brand. As stated it isn't clear if the Game Boy Classic will be a product in the future is unknown, but with the success of the NES Classic and SNES Classic, it seems almost inevitable that Nintendo will relaunch the handheld that created the market.

However, it’s worth pointing out that a similar trademark filing for the Nintendo 64 was discovered over the summer, and in fact, this very same Twitter bot outed the SNES Classic Edition late last year. So, while it isn’t clear yet if Nintendo is indeed working on a Game Boy Classic, don’t be surprised if we see one pop up next year or in 2019.

The Gameboy was actually the first Nintendo product I ever purchased with my hard earned $90 or whatever it was back in 1989. I have no interest in playing games on the non-backlit monochrome screen again. This is coming from someone who pre-ordered the SNES classic as soon as I found it available.

The Gameboy was actually the first Nintendo product I ever purchased with my hard earned $90 or whatever it was back in 1989. I have no interest in playing games on the non-backlit monochrome screen again. This is coming from someone who pre-ordered the SNES classic as soon as I found it available.

In that case you should pick up the upgraded model of gameboy which includes a back-light.

In that case you should pick up the upgraded model of gameboy which includes a back-light.

I have a PSP that runs just about everything I can throw at it ;).

But I'm just saying that I don't feel the nostalgia for those old game boy games like I did with the SNES.

I'll be honest, I think I'd struggle to name 30 Game Boy games that I'd actually want to play. It was great when you didn't have any other option, but outside a small handful of titles there really isn't much I can't live without (in my opinion of course).

I'll be honest, I think I'd struggle to name 30 Game Boy games that I'd actually want to play. It was great when you didn't have any other option, but outside a small handful of titles there really isn't much I can't live without (in my opinion of course).

man i could go for a small handful of tities.

wait that's not what that says.

hehe.

tbh gameboy games are just watered down shittier versions of console games.

like mobile games today.

The Nintendo fan in me is probably going to buy one anyway. I already have bought 4 versions NES/SNES classic already, missing 2 versions (NES US, missed that version completely and SNES EU), but like the Classics, probably end up as a collection somewhere.

I'd be more interested in mobile phone emulation platform though, and I am more interested in GBA games.

I dunno. Does the original gameboy have a library worth a damn?
I mean, you can get Tetris and the original Pokemon games (as well as a number of others) on the eshop for the 3DS. Even those have arguably been done better in later games.

I’ve played every gameboy Zelda game made, i also replay them on long flights.

I’d be the target audience for this, I’d spend my kids college money on it even.

I don't think it would be as much as of a hit as the nes and snes. Even most the good games were kinda crappy. I am sure the scalpers will still buy them all up to flip but this one will back fire on them.

I dunno. Does the original gameboy have a library worth a damn?
I mean, you can get Tetris and the original Pokemon games (as well as a number of others) on the eshop for the 3DS. Even those have arguably been done better in later games.

Sure it does. The Gameboy's library is larger than almost any other console and still have way more good games than smart phones.

I want it to be the same size/form factor as the Game Boy Micro, but with original Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games preloaded.

Add in an HDMI port (even better if it's actually a small wireless adapter that connects to the TV, so you're not tethered to the TV by a wire,) and/or Miracast support so you can play them on a TV, too, and it's perfect.

They would likely include color in the launch and if buy one or two for my collection, always liked portables more. There's a very easy list of about 30-40 games that could make this a success in my book

Back