new nintendo 3ds - february 13

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
Nintendo announced a the new nintendo 3ds to be release on february 13th. 2 editions , one monster hunter 4 and one for majoras mask .

I dropped my 3ds last week and broke the shoulder buttons, so im quite happy with this.

anyone else interested?

About to walk out the door to pre-order one at Gamestop. Might pick up a Vita while I'm there.

I will be picking one of these up for sure. Hopefully the Majora's Mask gold edition XL.

As usual, another naming fail from Nintendo. I have the original XL, I just don't see a reason to upgrade.

As usual, another naming fail from Nintendo. I have the original XL, I just don't see a reason to upgrade.

Yar, I agree about the naming scheme, and I think just like the Wii U there will be consumer confusion with this new unit. Still it seems to be a worthwhile upgrade, and I'm happy that Nintendo decided to make the larger unit their main unit for North America.

Also, sounds like the Majora's Mask edition preorders are already sold out - you guys might need to fight the launch day lines to purchase the unit!

If you're happy with what you have then I don't see any reason for you to upgrade either. I on the other hand, will want the games that take advantage of the better specs, the screens are supposed to be nicer, the little camera control could come in handy too. I also gave my 3DS to my daughter, so if I'm getting another one, I want the best one available.

We trickle down the handhelds in my family. I'll buy whatever the newest one is, and give my old one to one of the kids. Repeat, and they just go down the line.

You can no longer pre-order Majora's mask edition, it is already sold out........

Yeah, that's too bad. I'll settle for a regular one. I do like the one with the blue(ish) case and the four-colored buttons. I've got a Wind Waker Wii U, so that'll have to do for my Zelda-Aesthetic needs.

I for one WILL be pre-ordering the system and trading in my 3ds xl.

You CAN get the special editions if you order in the store. You have to pay the full price when you order and it will be shipped to you on release. The guy at my Gamestop that said that with limited quantities and 4300 stores, it would have been logicistically impossible to manage their regular pre-order process with such a short window until release.

I put a deposit on a black one. Looking forward to it. Already have Chrono Trigger, Dark Spire, and Etrian Odyssey. Want to try Fire Emblem and there's a lot of other good stuff out there. Going to buy an AC adapter later.

You CAN get the special editions if you order in the store. You have to pay the full price when you order and it will be shipped to you on release. The guy at my Gamestop that said that with limited quantities and 4300 stores, it would have been logicistically impossible to manage their regular pre-order process with such a short window until release.

I put a deposit on a black one. Looking forward to it. Already have Chrono Trigger, Dark Spire, and Etrian Odyssey. Want to try Fire Emblem and there's a lot of other good stuff out there. Going to buy an AC adapter later.

Zelda ones are gone and that web to store full price order only was shady as fuck. I preordered a red and black one for my son and I.

Don't trade in your old one till you do system transfer from old to new or you'll be kicking yourself

yep , this sucks BAD . nintendo got to do something about this. Why not tie games to account instead of HARDWARE.

Do want. Puts me in a weird position because I already pre-ordered MH4U collector's edition, but the MM 3DS is sold out apparently. Hmm...

Don't trade in your old one till you do system transfer from old to new or you'll be kicking yourself

I will be, bud of mine works at a GameStop, he says when I buy my new one and do the trade in that day, I can do a system transfer in the store.

I will be, bud of mine works at a GameStop, he says when I buy my new one and do the trade in that day, I can do a system transfer in the store.

Do they have open WiFi there? Because the two systems have to be on a WiFi network to do the transfer.

No regular model and only XL is retarded.
Not everyone has gorilla hands, and I want my portable actually PORTABLE. I hate the blurry XL. Not to mention the face plates. The whole world gets it except us. Is Australia a bigger market than NA? Bullshit.
I was waiting for this and now I'm not buying anything. Thanks again NOA. The idiocy never ceases to amaze me....

Do want. Puts me in a weird position because I already pre-ordered MH4U collector's edition, but the MM 3DS is sold out apparently. Hmm...

Actually, apparently the special editions don't even come with the corresponding game, LOL.

I might just go for the red or black one since it's cheaper.

If the Majora's Mask version came with the game I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Without, nah. If Gamestop offers a good deal on 3DS XL's in trade for one of these I might get one on release. If not, I'll wait a little bit. I do want one before April and the port of Xenoblade Chronicles though. Missed it on the Wii and no way in hell am I paying the price Gamestop is asking for it.

If the Majora's Mask version came with the game I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Without, nah. If Gamestop offers a good deal on 3DS XL's in trade for one of these I might get one on release. If not, I'll wait a little bit. I do want one before April and the port of Xenoblade Chronicles though. Missed it on the Wii and no way in hell am I paying the price Gamestop is asking for it.

Gamestop is giving $100 when you trade an XL or a Vita for a N3DS.

If ya'll are trading in don't forget to buy a power adapter. I won't be upgrading mine, very few games will be taking advantage and I'd never surf the net on my 3DS.

The monster hunter one does Zelda one doesn't.

According to the listing, neither do.

I thought about trading in my 3DSXL but I have the special edition Zelda one so I don't think it's worth it. Plus then I will have 2 to play local multi with the GF.

I wonder if/when Amazon will have pre-orders available...

According to the listing, neither do.

I thought about trading in my 3DSXL but I have the special edition Zelda one so I don't think it's worth it. Plus then I will have 2 to play local multi with the GF.

I wonder if/when Amazon will have pre-orders available...

Amazon doesn't directly sell new Nintendo hardware. They haven't for a while.

Last edited:
If ya'll are trading in don't forget to buy a power adapter

Quoted for emphasis.

I won't be upgrading mine, very few games will be taking advantage and I'd never surf the net on my 3DS.

While the games themselves won't necessarily take advantage of the new processing power, the system will utilize it in other ways beyond browsing.

Downloads and applications will complete/open comparatively faster, and games with long load times (e.g. Smash, since it uses more processing power) will benefit as well.
Xenoblade Chronicles is the only announced game taking advantage of the stronger processor, but other titles like Code Name S.T.E.A.M., Majora's Mask 3D and Smash will use the other new hardware inclusions: C-Stick, ZL/ZR buttons and NFC support. NFC support isn't a huge deal IMO, but I'd personally like to have more camera control with that C-stick. It and the ZL/ZR buttons will be nice for Smash.

Can't blame you for not wanting to upgrade though, it's trading in something that works well for nominal improvements and gearing towards future releases. I'm on the fence myself, but thinking about the controls and improved load times makes me want one... Plus to see how well the 3D effect has been upgraded.

No one has really mentioned it, but I believe the screens are a bit larger as well, right?

No one has really mentioned it, but I believe the screens are a bit larger as well, right?

I read that the non-XL version had larger screens. (I would assume the same to be true of the XL as well, but that's a guess.)

Does it use the same power adapter as the 3ds XL or the 2ds? I have both and the power adapter is the same for those.

The unit not coming with a power adapter is apparently a cost saving feature for Nintendo fans. They do it in Europe and Asia iirc.

They made a statement on it yesterday I believe.

The power adapter is cheap as it is but it will be annoying for the 90% of people who trade in their old models for the new one since you have to also trade in the power adapter.

Is the power adapter completely proprietary? Or is it a USB cable that plugs into a wall wart?

EDIT: Never mind...looks like it's proprietary.

Last edited:
Downloads and applications will complete/open comparatively faster, and games with long load times (e.g. Smash, since it uses more processing power) will benefit as well

Source on in-game load times? I only found information on initial load/launch of the game.

http://mobile.geek.com/latest/254974-super-smash-bros-loads-18-seconds-faster-on-new-3ds-hardware?origref=https:%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

I read that the non-XL version had larger screens. (I would assume the same to be true of the XL as well, but that's a guess.)

Doesn't matter, cause we don't get the non-XL, cause NOA is stupid.
I'm probably going to import an AUS non-XL once the Gateway flash cards are updated to work on it.

Doesn't matter, cause we don't get the non-XL, cause NOA is stupid.
I'm probably going to import an AUS non-XL once the Gateway flash cards are updated to work on it.

That is a stupid decision on their part. I back a lot of what they do, but not this. That said, I wanted an XL anyway this time, so no problem, but I agree with you. I'd still like to know if the XL screens are bigger than the old XL too though.

I'm not that broken up by the lack of the 'standard' New 3DS model, and I can understand why Nintendo isn't bringing them to North America due to the sales difference between the Standard and XL in the other markets.

The thing I'm missing are the removable faceplates. I really liked some of the designs, and it's a shame Nintendo didn't design the XL to be able to accommodate faceplates as well.

Oh, and the lack of an AC adapter is just a plain dick move, Nintendo.

Back