New Nexus 7 July 20..anyone?

16:10 and 16:9 especially are really too skinny for practical portrait use IMO. We are stuck with it because or marketing more than reason.

16:9 because marrketing thinks all we do is watch movies. :mad:
I'd prefer 3:2 or 4:3. I can live with 16:10. 16:9 makes me want to stab someone.

4:3 makes it a bit too wide to hold by the edges well IMO on a 7" tablet. 16:10 is fine.

:rolleyes:

Books come in different sizes shapes, and pure text reflows easily. My hardcover novels are closer to 3:2 which is one of the ratios I mentioned.

Tablets are more than dedicated readers (even most dedicated readers are 4:3).

Another huge activity is web browsing, which is far from optimal on a small 16:9/10 screen, and much better on small 4:3 screen in either landscape or portrait mode.

If I could design my own tablet. I would use A series paper aspect which is ~1.41:1, actually it is sqrt(2):1.

This has the neat property that, you can perfectly fit two half size elements in one full size element.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html
iso-paper-a4a3.gif

It would be perfect for fixed PDF documents, which are usually very close to this ratio, looks decent in portrait mode and landscape mode. A better all purpose tablet ratio than any in current use, but no one has gone there.

16:10 and 16:9 especially are really too skinny for practical portrait use IMO. We are stuck with it because or marketing more than reason.
So you read two pages of a book at a time?

For a 10" it can work, for a 7" there's no way you want both pages on the same screen. I'v never seen a single person read books double paged on their iPad mini. It's too small, so they reduce it to one page at a time, and are left with a ton of empty space. Single page of a book is usually closest to 16:10.

I don't think even 4:3 is particularly great for vertical webviewing on a tablet of that size. You're zooming in and scrolling back and forth, or you're using the tablet horizontally. The rules of big tablets don't apply to these ones. My Transformer Prime is awkward as hell to use, but I greatly prefer the Nexus 7 shape to the iPad mini shape.

Last edited:
Yeah the aspect ratio is the only reason I'm passing on this.

Man I wish there was an Android-tablet from a reputable manufacturer with a 4:3 or 2sq:1 aspect ratio...

Strange to me that you use a 7" tablet primarily as book readers, but oh well. FWIW, the extra sharpness of the 1920 x 1080 on the small screen will help the reading. My wife has a mini. Compared to my Nexus 10, it's blurry. She doesn't have a problem with it since she doesn't get to use my Nexus 10. :) I really enjoy my Nexus 10 for horizontal web surfing. Curiously, my wife orients her mini the opposite way, but maybe it's because she primarily uses apps that were originally made for a phone.

So you read two pages of a book at a time?

That is some epic comprehension problem you have. A series ( root 2) ratio would be used across a line of tablets. On its own the ratio is very versatile, but if you did want to multitask on a bigger tablet, you could turn to portrait mode and perfectly fit two half size apps/pages. You aren't forced to do this and you wouldn't on a small tablet.

I don't think even 4:3 is particularly great for vertical webviewing on a tablet of that size. You're zooming in and scrolling back and forth, or you're using the tablet horizontally. .

The extra width in the Mini is a huge advantage for portrait web browsing, you do much less scrolling/zooming.
Nexus+7+vs.+iPad+Mini_04.jpg

And it only gets worse for 16:10 Android when landscape web browsing:
http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/iPad-mini-web-browsing-vs-Nexus-7.jpg

The skinny ratio is mainly a marketing choice driven by copying TV resolution/ratio. A ratio that is really only good for TV. It simply isn't productive for anything else.

Edit, for additional clarity.

Last edited:
The extra width in the Mini is a huge advantage for portrait web browsing, you do much less scrolling/zooming. ... And it only gets worse for landscape web browsing:... It simply isn't productive for anything else.

So, extra width is an advantage if you hold it Portrait and a disadvantage if you hold it Landscape. Huh? :rolleyes:

It really depends on what content you are consuming. If all content that you consume was portrait text, and you couldn't have more than one window visible, you'd be right. More and more technical and even hobby information is in video format though, and for that obviously 4x3 is at a disadvantage for that as well.

Format is somewhat arbitrary. It's a lot like the Beta vs VHS argument. There are many people who said Beta was better and yet VHS won out. As more and more devices are 16x9, you'll see more and more content developed for it. If you use Android or Windows tablet apps, you can see it now. Once content providers have to choose, 4x3 web content other than apps will be letter boxed like watching video. How long will it take? We'll see.

So, extra width is an advantage if you hold it Portrait and a disadvantage if you hold it Landscape. Huh? :rolleyes:

I edited for more clarity.

Once you get so skinny. Web browsing at something like 16:9 sucks both in portrait and landscape. Where 4:3 is usable in both Portrait and landscape.

Web browsing at something like 16:9 sucks both in portrait and landscape.

I think you meant to include "for you". I actually prefer 16:9, but then again, maybe it's the sites I visit that are a mixture of text, graphics, and videos.

That is some epic comprehension problem you have. A series ( root 2) ratio would be used across a line of tablets. On its own the ratio is very versatile, but if you did want to multitask on a bigger tablet, you could turn to portrait mode and perfectly fit two half size apps/pages. You aren't forced to do this and you wouldn't on a small tablet.

The extra width in the Mini is a huge advantage for portrait web browsing, you do much less scrolling/zooming.
Nexus+7+vs.+iPad+Mini_04.jpg

And it only gets worse for 16:10 Android when landscape web browsing:
http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/iPad-mini-web-browsing-vs-Nexus-7.jpg

The skinny ratio is mainly a marketing choice driven by copying TV resolution/ratio. A ratio that is really only good for TV. It simply isn't productive for anything else.

Edit, for additional clarity.

No, this is going both ways. Both 1.41/A4 and 1.6 are versatile aspect ratios. But 1.6 is a better compromise between 16:9 video and A4 documents, plus it's perfect for legal documents.

On top of that, you're ignoring ergonomics. The iPad mini fits more of a site, but it's still not enough to completely eliminate zooming and scrolling, and it's more difficult to hold while doing so. The wideness makes balance more difficult, especially with a thin bezel. A tablet for one handed use should have a larger bezel, and fitting that on a 4:3 and probably even A4 would make it too large.

No, 16:10 is not just marketing (honestly, who ever praises 16:10 outside of forums?). I'd argue 4:3 is more marketing than 16:10, given most types of readable material are not designed for 4:3. Some are A4, many are between A4 and 16:9.

I think I found my next tablet. The 16GB is more than enough. I hope Best Buy has them this sunday :)

I think I'll probably get one also. My HP touchpad running ICS is getting a little long in the tooth. Plus it's heavy and somewhat slow now.

I like the 4:3 aspect ratio better for web browsing (seems like a no brainer). But overall I'm okay with the 16:10 ratio. It's a nice compromise between the 4:3 and 16:9.

But as nice as the 4:3 aspect ratio is on the Mini, that stupid 1024x768 resolution kills everything. Sure, I can easily see a full website in portrait mode, shame I can't actually read it though. :p

We can talk about the iPad mini when it gets a retina display (sadly rumors sound like it won't happen this year either).

I like the 4:3 aspect ratio better for web browsing (seems like a no brainer). But overall I'm okay with the 16:10 ratio. It's a nice compromise between the 4:3 and 16:9.

16:10 is better, but not by much. I would much rather have 3:2 or sqrt(2):1. Google isn't new to 3:2. That is what they use on their Pixel Chromebook.

But as nice as the 4:3 aspect ratio is on the Mini, that stupid 1024x768 resolution kills everything. Sure, I can easily see a full website in portrait mode, shame I can't actually read it though. :p

We can talk about the iPad mini when it gets a retina display (sadly rumors sound like it won't happen this year either).

When I compared the original Mini to the original Nexus 7, I much prefered the mini screen. But I agree that now with the new high res Nexus, the Mini is severely outclassed for screen quality. If those "no Retina" rumors for the new Mini are true, it would be a huge mistake for Apple, and opportunity for Google.

As it stands, the new Nexus 7, is my leading contender for a tablet purchase, even though I would prefer a fatter aspect, I want high dpi even more at this point. On the android side, a competitor using this screen, but with a flash card slot would be nice.

It might be fall before the new Nexus 7 comes to Canada, so time for something else to crop up before I am able to buy a Nexus 7.

And word on the new Transformer Pad?

If that's out anytime soon, I might pass on the Nexus.

picking one up today..Best Buy has in-store pick up available.

Cool.

Maybe you can give us your comparison thoughts about any improvements in build quality, screen color quality, sound quality (these were complaints about the original N7).

I got the N 7 and hate the fact that it does not have a camera in the back, but I put too much £££ on the N7 to get the new one.

Quick question for owners of the new and old n7:

How is this thing on finger prints? Is it a giant print magnet? I had the HP touchpad at one point, and that is one thing I despised about the machine? Felt like I was rubbing it down with microfiber more than I was using it lol :)

This tablet is tempting though, but that bezel is a real turn off.

The hell? I found out that Best Buy was already selling it while browsing my iPad as I waiting for The Wolverine to start, and a bunch of stores around me had it.

After the movie was over, they were all fucking gone.

You could try staples or walmart. I know strange, but they seemed to be one of the places for early Nexus 10 stock.

staples has a $30 off tablets coupon that expires sunday (I guess they figured nobody would start selling early), but is valid on the nexus online and in-store. My local staples only had the 16gb, but best buy accepted the coupon for the 32gb.
http://www.staples.com/coupons

staples has a $30 off tablets coupon that expires sunday (I guess they figured nobody would start selling early), but is valid on the nexus online and in-store. My local staples only had the 16gb, but best buy accepted the coupon for the 32gb.
Thanks for the heads up. Combine this with a 25$ giftcard I have, I heading up there right now :)

That bezel is insane. I'd rather it have been an 8.9" edge-to-edge screen. The tablet itself would have been the same size...

Also, 1080p on a 7" screen? I always like more pixels, but I feel like the Nook HD really hit the sweet spot with 1440x900 at 7". I'd rather they went with a slightly lower res screen and put more engineering time into making the form factor of the device itself smaller. Which customers/use cases are demanding larger bezels on tablets?

So I found a Best Buy that supposedly has it. Paid for it via in-store pick-up. Been an hour and still not verification e-mail. I bet they don't even have it.

I called Staples and they said they refuse to sell it until Sunday, but someone from their live chat said I can buy it Saturday and use the $30 coupon. I'll be sure to bring the chat transcript to me tomorrow morning...

Also, can people stop fucking whining about the bezel? I'm pretty sure that it was an engineering decision that involved more than someone wanting more plastic.

Also, can people stop fucking whining about the bezel? I'm pretty sure that it was an engineering decision that involved more than someone wanting more plastic.

I'm sure there was a reason for it, but that does not make it any less ugly to me :D However, based on price and functionality, I am willing to overlook it.

I'm sure there was a reason for it, but that does not make it any less ugly to me :D However, based on price and functionality, I am willing to overlook it.

Same here. Those top/bottom bezzel give it a very awkward look, but this is still the pretty much in a class of one for small tablets. I wouldn't consider any other small tablet right now.

Did you have to get a manager's approval to use the Staple's coupon at bestbuy? I've never gotten them to match staple's coupons.

Did you have to get a manager's approval to use the Staple's coupon at bestbuy? I've never gotten them to match staple's coupons.

yeah. The sales girl said someone else had done it earlier, and the store manager had approved it. So the manager she called over didn't hesitate or even look much at the coupon when he entered the override code or whatever they do.

yeah. The sales girl said someone else had done it earlier, and the store manager had approved it. So the manager she called over didn't hesitate or even look much at the coupon when he entered the override code or whatever they do.
Nice. I'll try my luck tomorrow.

I'm on fucking fire right now. My Nexus 7 order was never prepared for me at Best Buy (I bet they didn't even have it), and nobody at Staples seems to know what is going on. I actually went to one store, but they didn't even have the item in their system.

Maybe none of the stores have gotten the 32GB version yet. Anyway, I can't believe I was so dumb not to have simply ordered off the Staples website. I assumed there was tax involved when there isn't.

Still waiting on news of a native dialer on lte version lol
And hopefully having that version available in stores as well instead of just play store

This is awesome. Going to Staples first thing tomorrow. :) Cheers!

Quick question for owners of the new and old n7:

How is this thing on finger prints? Is it a giant print magnet? I had the HP touchpad at one point, and that is one thing I despised about the machine? Felt like I was rubbing it down with microfiber more than I was using it lol :)

This tablet is tempting though, but that bezel is a real turn off.

Too early to tell if it's a finger print magnet (I own both). I tried using it before watching the Wolverine, but no...
1. It asks for Wifi with no option to skip.
2. It requires a small system update about 50K. No option to skip. Wifi at Starbucks was sucking.
3. I got home and after connecting and installing that initial update, there was a 50MB update waiting.

16:10 is better, but not by much. I would much rather have 3:2 or sqrt(2):1. Google isn't new to 3:2. That is what they use on their Pixel Chromebook.

Yup. I like my new N7, but the aspect ratio doesn't feel right. The iPad mini feels right, but I don't want a locked down tablet.

I picked one up yesterday for a deal. AMEX is having a $25 credit if you spend over $250 at best buy. Signed up for that. I ordered In-store pickup for a 32gb and went to the store with the $30 off Staples coupon. The manager approved the price match but they were unable to do it with my current order since it was a Best Buy Online order. So they returned it onto a gift card and rerung it up minus the $30. I essentially got a 32gb for the 16gb price.

Back