New Nexus 7 July 20..anyone?

THinking about getting one just to dick around with Android.

I have an iPad (which sometimes I feel is too big to do web browsing and reading) and an iPhone (which I have no complaints).

Would like to try Android though, Jelly Bean looks fantastic and Key Lime Pie should be even better.

Trying to sell off my wife's iPad so I can give her my 32GB Nexus 7 and use the money to buy myself a new Nexus 7.

I believe retail date is actually the 24th or 25th given the press conference/breakfast thing announced. Stores will probably get them as early as the 20th but only for inventory and setup purposes.

I might wait a while to see if someone does something similar with SD slot, but if I don't see anything else by a month after I will likely grab a new Nexus 2 7". Hopefully they have better quality SSD this time.

Nope, nobody cares about the newest version of one of the most popular Android tablets ever...

Hope it really does have an HD screen.

I might wait a while to see if someone does something similar with SD slot, but if I don't see anything else by a month after I will likely grab a new Nexus 2 7". Hopefully they have better quality SSD this time.

You won't see anything like the Nexus 7 (2013 edition) with a micro SD slot for a long time. Look at Samsung's Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, just launched with merely a 1280x800 resolution screen, 1.5GB of RAM, and dual core A9 processor (very 2012 of them) and 16GB of RAM with micro SD. This for $300 and probably the closest thing you'll find.

The Nexus 7 2013 blows this away with a 1920x1200 display, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB of storage for $270. The processor is still uncertain, some say a dual core Krait S4 Pro, which will still spank the Exynos 4212 in the Tab 3 8.0. Some say it's a quad core Krait S600 (I really hope so).

It seems nobody really had the appetite to make high end 7 or 8 inch tablets these days, and I don't really get why that is. I guess the Nexus 7 is pretty high end and they just don't want to compete against that when their verision will cost $150 to $200 more (Samsung and others can't sell hardware at no profit like Google is).

So what I'm saying, if you want something like the Nexus 7, no point waiting, might as well get your hands on the Nexus 7 as soon as you can, because you won't see anything close to it for a while.

Unless maybe you are interested in Windows 8. There are rumors of more 8 inch Windows 8 tablets coming, even a Surface Mini. Acer already faceplanted with their fail 8 inch tablet, but hopefully others will do a better job. Though I expect these tablets will be far north of the Nexus 7 price range. Acer's 8 inch tablet is $380 and it's a POS. So I expect at least $400 for these 8 inch Windows 8 tablets. And we probably won't see these until the Windows 8.1 release later in the Fall.

PS. Android tablets use eMMC (and so do Windows Atom tablets by the way), not SSD. Their storage speeds are going to be limited to about 25MB/s tops. ASUS seems to have a particular problem using good eMMC memory, but I didn't think the old Nexus 7 suffered too much from this.

PS. Android tablets use eMMC (and so do Windows Atom tablets by the way), not SSD. Their storage speeds are going to be limited to about 25MB/s tops. ASUS seems to have a particular problem using good eMMC memory, but I didn't think the old Nexus 7 suffered too much from this.

Effectively the same thing. Solid state storage based on flash. I read a number of complaints about the Nexus 7 slowing down to flash issues. I hope it is better quality this time:

http://androidandme.com/2013/06/opi...from-the-best-to-worst-tablet-ive-ever-owned/

Definitely purchasing one! Returned my Samsung Note 8 for this!

I'm getting the impression that the screen resolution is going to be a letdown. Everything else, including Android 4.3, has already been leaked/confirmed. Yet nothing on the screen.

I'm getting the impression that the screen resolution is going to be a letdown. Everything else, including Android 4.3, has already been leaked/confirmed. Yet nothing on the screen.

1920x1200 looks to be confirmed now:
http://www.androidcentral.com/new-nexus-7-appears-best-buy-circular

best-buy_nexus-7.jpg

Fantastic news.

Interesting that they went with 16:10. The Nexus 7 is 16:9, AFAIK.

Fantastic news.

Interesting that they went with 16:10. The Nexus 7 is 16:9, AFAIK.

Original was also 16:10 (1280x800). Speaking of which, my mom enjoys her Nexus 7. I got it for her on Christmas of which she uses everyday. :)

You guys are right. I'm surprised at the misinformation on tech sites these days.

newnexusy634.jpg

It's kind of weird how there's so much bezel at the top and bottom, suggesting the device is tailored for landscape use, but the location of the speakers in the back is meant for portrait.

This tab is very tempting, but I can't really justify getting it when I already have a phablet (Note 2) that's decent enough and only 1.5" smaller.

This tab is very tempting, but I can't really justify getting it when I already have a phablet (Note 2) that's decent enough and only 1.5" smaller.

Definitely agree with you there, I can't think of any reason to have both a smartphone and a 7" tablet, especially when I can fit either into my pocket. Still hoping they put a native dialer into the cellular version, even if there's no microphone built in, for the sake of device consolidation and cost savings.

I always carry both and use my smartphone as a glorified hotspot. Can't stand the tiny screen.

You guys are right. I'm surprised at the misinformation on tech sites these days.

newnexusy634.jpg

It's kind of weird how there's so much bezel at the top and bottom, suggesting the device is tailored for landscape use, but the location of the speakers in the back is meant for portrait.

That will make thumb typing difficult.

First benchmark is out: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...f-ram-snapdragon-s4-pro-and-1920x1200-screen/

It's got an S4 Pro, not a 600. So it's a slightly better Nexus 4 with an awesome screen.

I think I'll actually be getting a Note 8 instead (once the school sales begin, not at $400.) It obviously gets crushed in screen quality, but the performance should be roughly similar (just as it is between the Nexus 4 and Note 2.) I'll gladly trade a <1080p screen for the active digitizer and multitasking any day.

I think I'll actually be getting a Note 8 instead (once the school sales begin, not at $400.) It obviously gets crushed in screen quality, but the performance should be roughly similar (just as it is between the Nexus 4 and Note 2.) I'll gladly trade a <1080p screen for the active digitizer and multitasking any day.

Galaxy Note 8 has A9 Cores like the old Nexus, the Krait cores in new Nexus should be a significantly better, so not just a better screen.

Price went up, maybe that's an improvement for Google.

No (micro)SD = No Sale for me
Streaming everything is great in theory. But there are still way too many places where there is no wifi/cell signal, poor/slow wifi/cell signal, or cell data access is so expensive that streaming is not feasible. I'm also far more likely to be taking a small, light, easily packed, tablet to these places than a full notebook.

Now I do admit, my mom, dad, sister, and most of their friends this is actually targeted at will be thrilled with the higher res screen and the fact you can now hook it up to the TV.

The inclusion of HDMI is a big step in the right direction, consoles better watch out. I can easily see tablets taking the Wii's entire casual gaming market share.

How much better is the Snapdragon than the Tegra 3?

I'm a little bummed about how it's simply a tablet version of the Nexus 4, which seems like old tech already.

How much better is the Snapdragon than the Tegra 3?

I'm a little bummed about how it's simply a tablet version of the Nexus 4, which seems like old tech already.

CPU should be a little better across the board, FPU quite a bit better, and GPU a whole lot better.

They have to keep costs under control somehow. 1920x1200 7" screens aren't free.

Now its 80 dollars to add cell radios...really?

Parts no.

But license fees are quite high and many of them are based on a percentage of the total device cost.

Parts + license fees + some small profit. Sure.

Looked at the specs pricing today. Pass. The only thing I'd buy it for its the 1920x1200 screen which is weird because 16:10 isn't standard anymore seems like an odd manufacturing choice.

Looked at the specs pricing today. Pass. The only thing I'd buy it for its the 1920x1200 screen which is weird because 16:10 isn't standard anymore seems like an odd manufacturing choice.

16:10 is pretty much the standard for Android tablets and even that is a bit too skinny for my taste.

Tablets would be better served by 3:2 or even 4:3.

Great, thank you.

Now all I'm curious about is what kind of DAC it uses, though that info probably won't come until after release.

16:10 is pretty much the standard for Android tablets and even that is a bit too skinny for my taste.

Tablets would be better served by 3:2 or even 4:3.

I disagree. Maybe at the 10" level, but the small 7-8" ones seem prime for book reading, and books are actually closer to 16:10 than 4:3.

I disagree. Maybe at the 10" level, but the small 7-8" ones seem prime for book reading, and books are actually closer to 16:10 than 4:3.

:rolleyes:

Books come in different sizes shapes, and pure text reflows easily. My hardcover novels are closer to 3:2 which is one of the ratios I mentioned.

Tablets are more than dedicated readers (even most dedicated readers are 4:3).

Another huge activity is web browsing, which is far from optimal on a small 16:9/10 screen, and much better on small 4:3 screen in either landscape or portrait mode.

If I could design my own tablet. I would use A series paper aspect which is ~1.41:1, actually it is sqrt(2):1.

This has the neat property that, you can perfectly fit two half size elements in one full size element.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html
iso-paper-a4a3.gif

It would be perfect for fixed PDF documents, which are usually very close to this ratio, looks decent in portrait mode and landscape mode. A better all purpose tablet ratio than any in current use, but no one has gone there.

16:10 and 16:9 especially are really too skinny for practical portrait use IMO. We are stuck with it because or marketing more than reason.

...did Google skimp on the battery just to make it lighter/thinner?

Nexus 7: 4325 mAh
Sero 7 Pro: 4000 mAh
New Nexus 7: 3950 mAh

The difference is probably minimal, but this is interesting nonetheless...especially considering the HD screen.

...did Google skimp on the battery just to make it lighter/thinner?

Nexus 7: 4325 mAh
Sero 7 Pro: 4000 mAh
New Nexus 7: 3950 mAh

The difference is probably minimal, but this is interesting nonetheless...especially considering the HD screen.

They are stating 10 hours of web browsing, 9 hours of HD video, so I don't think anything was lost.

Back