New NEC ND-3500AG = BS

diablo111

[H]ard|Gawd
I picked up this DVD-Burner because it seems to get great reviews. So far I'm pretty pissed off with it. I've tried several different firmwares, but I'm still having burning problems with it.

It won't burn CD-R's (Memorex or Fuji) over 32X (drive is rated at 48X) using Nero. It won't Burn my 2.4X DVD+R's at all. It burns 8X DVD+R's at about 6X speeds, and makes coasters out of my 4X DVD+R's.

Anybody else having similar problems? Can anyone point me to a better Firmware?

diablo111 said:
I picked up this DVD-Burner because it seems to get great reviews. So far I'm pretty pissed off with it. I've tried several different firmwares, but I'm still having burning problems with it.

It won't burn CD-R's (Memorex or Fuji) over 32X (drive is rated at 48X) using Nero. It won't Burn my 2.4X DVD+R's at all. It burns 8X DVD+R's at about 6X speeds, and makes coasters out of my 4X DVD+R's.

http://herrie.org ->get his FWs. They rock. The CD-R issue is well documented, it can only burn 1 or 2 types of CD-R discs @ 48X. Which 8X and 4X DVD+R discs are you using?

8X is memorex...4X is Teon...2.4X is Phillips.

Do you know what CD-R media WILL burn at 48X?

diablo111 said:
8X is memorex...4X is Teon...2.4X is Phillips.

Do you know what CD-R media WILL burn at 48X?
Those should all have the CMC media code.. weird. NEC does well with CMC discs.
I think CMC CD-Rs should burn @ 52X.. look @ Memorex,Made In Taiwan.

diablo111 said:

Update the firmware to 2.19.

http://support.necsam.com/oem/downloads/flashfirmware/

Also if you haven't already update Nero to 6.6.0.8.

When I was using firmware 2.18 Nero wouldn't even recognize anything over 32x for my Nec 3500. I updated to firmware 2.19 and 48x was listed and it burns at 48x now.

number69 said:
Update the firmware to 2.19.

http://support.necsam.com/oem/downloads/flashfirmware/

Also if you haven't already update Nero to 6.6.0.8.

When I was using firmware 2.18 Nero wouldn't even recognize anything over 32x for my Nec 3500. I updated to firmware 2.19 and 48x was listed and it burns at 48x now.

Dude! You da man! That did it...now it will burn at 48X with all of my CD media...thanks! :D

I spent $20 on a spindle of Verbatims, just because they would burn at 48X when everything else wouldn't...wish I would learn some patients...just needed to wait a day or 2. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again for teh help!

just to let you know...get Taiyo Yuden media for DVD's. TY media will burn at 16x which are really rated as 8x.

Retardo said:
just to let you know...get Taiyo Yuden media for DVD's. TY media will burn at 16x which are really rated as 8x.

Cool, thanks for the tip :)

diablo111 said:
Dude! You da man! That did it...now it will burn at 48X with all of my CD media...thanks! :D

I spent $20 on a spindle of Verbatims, just because they would burn at 48X when everything else wouldn't...wish I would learn some patients...just needed to wait a day or 2. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again for teh help!

No problem, glad it's burning at 48x now. :D

Back