New NEC 20WMGX2!!! (Pics inside 56K)

I just wanted to update that after one week using this monitor I'm a happy owner... I'm now playing Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter demo in wide screen and it looks awesome.... despite the jagged edges the game engine has "Not the Monitor" :D

Sikish said:
talked to manager in BB. They should have them in stock at may 7th in MN. The retail price shows as 699.00 (not sure what are they going to charge though.) But hopefully price should come down a little.

$699 would be pretty darn good no? The circuit-city link earlier shows it at $849 or something. Lowest I've seen it (so far) is like $719 (after rebates) shipped.

neocvera said:
$699 would be pretty darn good no? The circuit-city link earlier shows it at $849 or something. Lowest I've seen it (so far) is like $719 (after rebates) shipped.

Well, we'll have to wait and see how much they're going to charge for it, but if BB will sell them for 699, online sellers will have to beat it.

Sikish said:
Well, we'll have to wait and see how much they're going to charge for it, but if BB will sell them for 699, online sellers will have to beat it.

No way will they sell it for $699. I bet that is their so called cost. I think they will at least sell it for the same as CC.

Edit: d-mn wish we had a Fry's on the East Coast.

Went to Fry's today to check out the viewsonic and they have this monitor for $699.

Few more pictures for you all.

This is my 3rd one. I had to return the first one due to dead pixels and the second one produced dead pixels after a week. The first two also had backlight bleeding issues, but oddly after a week of use the backlight bleeding seemed to go away. The 3rd one is perfect other than the normal LCD issues :D The backlights on these LCD's are pretty even. The left side of the screen is a little brighter, but it's about the most even backlight I've seen in a LCD so far. It's even better than my 32" Sharp LCD TV :eek: The only real issues are when hooking up a device via the video input jacks there is a small about of noise in the signal, but this seems to be pretty normal on PC monitors with video jacks. Again though, it's nothing major and does not take points away from this LCD being drool worthy.

Here's the famous color banding image. It does have some banding issues (hard to see in this picture except you can see it a little on the left side), but they are nothing major.

necbanding1wi.jpg

You can see the banding a little better here.

banding5qk.jpg

And then just a random fun picture of it's beauty. That dust is not on my LCD, it's on my camera lense.

nechd6ij.jpg

And a no flash version of the picture.

nechd21tj.jpg

I am looking at the NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2, anyone post pics showing where the component, composites and s-video hookups are? Need a little push to buy. Its either this or wait for the 2407's. Is 1680x1050 enough for gaming or does anyone wish it could do 1920x1200. Mine ( 26 inch ilo) can only do 1280x768 and I can't take it anymore.

Well unless you have a freaking awesome gfx card setup, running much more than 1680x1050 with all eyecandy on and some decent AA and AF will not be possible. And your 6800GT most likely will not cut that! Depending on the games you play.

But personally 1680x1050 is more than enough for me, and I am a hardcore gamer I guess and I just ordered the NEC 20WMGX2.

Read some review of the Dell's and compare them to the NEC. I have no doubt in my mind that NEC kicks the socks of them! Great view angles, a very solid panel with great colours, once calibrated this is about as accurate a monitor you can get before stepping into a professional monitor and it's can compete with a 2ms TN panel in responsetime!

Hope this helps a bit!
(wispering in your ear: "Go get the NEC now!!!!")

OK I'am going with the nec, best price I've found so far is around 739. Got to wait till irs check clears bank before ordering so it might be around this friday before able to order. Still need to get a few things though, a good chair, surge protector, floor mats. I've had to move recently and lost most of my stuff so I've had to rebuild mostly from scratch but then I did get rid of a lot of bs, don't know when to through out stuff.

Can anyone post pics of the inputs, i've googled the monitor but theres none that have shown component/composite/svideo hookups even though everyplace says they are there. Plan on hooking up the samsung sir-t451 since I've got comcast hooked up to 26 inch ilo.

Edit update nevermind I somehow missed the pics showing this from op. Sweet I want it now!!!!

You must didn't look very hard! You can find pics of the inputs on page 4 of this tread. :rolleyes:

What can I say.......I've been going back and forth on what I want vs what I should get with prices and availability and then trying to get my new place in order. Somehow I missed the pics on page 4 or I saw them but it did not dawn I me that there was a cover over the spot where it went. My minds been somewhere else all week with 2407 or the nec, then if I get the nec should I get the gainward bliss (last good agp card not crippled) its your fault you know. If you had not started this thread with all the pics and how good it was I would have waited for the 2407 ;) Thanks to you I will be getting a new monitor and new videocard, hdcp can wait and besides I got hdtv in the livingroom might get a mini mac for it latter. :eek:

Edit update: I was only kidding about it being your fault, plenty of people have said some good things also about this monitor too.

:D

Speaking of mac minis. I just bought this monitor and plugged the dvi cable to the power pc mac mini's dvi port and nothing, no picture at all. I used the vga cable and it works. I have heard that the dvi port on the mac mini is very picky and some dvi monitors do not work. I also have a 17 inch sony x-brite that works with dvi.

Is there anyone using this monitor with a mac mini? I have no other pc with a dvi port so I cannot test if the monitor's dvi port is defective.

OHHHHHHH MYYYYY GOOOOODDDDDD.....

Finally here and and and and and I am, I mean, I am really.... I guess I am speechless! Yes that's it. I am speechless.

This monitor, that just got to my house like 2 hours ago is on my desk and looking amazing. Looks good on the outside and freaking nice on the inside too (the screen).

I ran it though some tests and stuff, but still waiting for my buddy's lacie calibrator tool, but the only thing of the bat is a little (VERY LITTLE and I am picky) bleed in the coners, but very little, once it's on you don't see it and it should get better with time. The other thing is the movie playback with a little twinkling, but then again I am unfortunatly in the EU (Denmark) and we do not get this monitor with component, tuner or anything else, just VGA and DVI, but I DON'T CARE, because this monitor is all I wanted.

I can see why some people worry about the glossy opticlear, but I am a newcomer to that and have no problem with it, I do see myself a bit in the monitor duing daylight because my room is very bright, white walls everywhere, but down with the curtains and I am a happy camper. Best suggestion I have for you thinking of the issue it to check the monitor or some other monitor with similar glossy opticlear screen and see what actually makes the reflections in the store. Just make sure in your home or room that there are no lightsources right behind you or right above you that can shine into the screen, just like any other monitor that causes issues when using it. I would not go without the glossy screen for my home computer now, so vibrante and makes the images looks so much more alive in lack of better words. But research because I don't want you to be unhappy.

Ohh and one last thing..... NO DEAD PIXELS OR ANYTHING ELSE.....YES YES YES.

LOVING IT ALREADY...

mactiger - I know I've read a mac review of the monitor somewhere, sorry I can't remember, but I know they were talking about the connection. Just google it with like mac+nec 20WGX2 or something and you should find some info.

Steven301 - It's all good, I felt the same, I got the monitor and then also a new GFX card to go well with it, cost a lot of cash but trust me, not regretting it one bit! Glad you are listening to the whisper... hehe

It's a little hard to justify buying this with the Viewsonic 2025wm going for $300. :(

MasonicInc said:
OHHHHHHH MYYYYY GOOOOODDDDDD.....

Finally here and and and and and I am, I mean, I am really.... I guess I am speechless! Yes that's it. I am speechless.

This monitor, that just got to my house like 2 hours ago is on my desk and looking amazing. Looks good on the outside and freaking nice on the inside too (the screen).

I ran it though some tests and stuff, but still waiting for my buddy's lacie calibrator tool, but the only thing of the bat is a little (VERY LITTLE and I am picky) bleed in the coners, but very little, once it's on you don't see it and it should get better with time. The other thing is the movie playback with a little twinkling, but then again I am unfortunatly in the EU (Denmark) and we do not get this monitor with component, tuner or anything else, just VGA and DVI, but I DON'T CARE, because this monitor is all I wanted.

I can see why some people worry about the glossy opticlear, but I am a newcomer to that and have no problem with it, I do see myself a bit in the monitor duing daylight because my room is very bright, white walls everywhere, but down with the curtains and I am a happy camper. Best suggestion I have for you thinking of the issue it to check the monitor or some other monitor with similar glossy opticlear screen and see what actually makes the reflections in the store. Just make sure in your home or room that there are no lightsources right behind you or right above you that can shine into the screen, just like any other monitor that causes issues when using it. I would not go without the glossy screen for my home computer now, so vibrante and makes the images looks so much more alive in lack of better words. But research because I don't want you to be unhappy.

Ohh and one last thing..... NO DEAD PIXELS OR ANYTHING ELSE.....YES YES YES.

LOVING IT ALREADY...

mactiger - I know I've read a mac review of the monitor somewhere, sorry I can't remember, but I know they were talking about the connection. Just google it with like mac+nec 20WGX2 or something and you should find some info.

Steven301 - It's all good, I felt the same, I got the monitor and then also a new GFX card to go well with it, cost a lot of cash but trust me, not regretting it one bit! Glad you are listening to the whisper... hehe

Welcome to NEC's window to the other world :D

I have this monitor for a little more than a week and I still giggle when I walk by.. I so love it :D

Any pictures? :)

:( Still waiting on the income tax check to clear before I can get the NEC and Gainward Bliss. I did get some of the stuff I did need like chair, floor mats and surge protector. I might get my camera back from sis ( lives in ky ) if I do will takes some shots after the monitor shows up. Is 739 (us dollars) good price for the bk version? Anyone know anyother sites that have it in stock?

Edit Update: the place I am buy from just droped the price to 659 plus s&h. Was 739 with s&h that puts 80 more bucks toward the BLISS!!!

Steven301 said:
:( Still waiting on the income tax check to clear before I can get the NEC and Gainward Bliss. I did get some of the stuff I did need like chair, floor mats and surge protector. I might get my camera back from sis ( lives in ky ) if I do will takes some shots after the monitor shows up. Is 739 (us dollars) good price for the bk version? Anyone know anyother sites that have it in stock?

Froogle & pricegrabber list tons of sites, some under $650 before shipping and tax. But cheapest shipped is still like $700.

Prices will take a dive when new monitors come out using this LG screen I'd guess.

MrkXCeL said:
Side by Side - NEC 20WMGX2 vs. Viewsonic WM2025wm

lcdsnitelsmall1qe.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

lcdsdaylsmall6zr.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

The two monitors were tweaked to LOOK as close as possible to eachother when this pic was taken(brightness/contrast/color values). Viewsonic brightness is maxed out, and the NEC sitting comfortably at about 53%.
The NEC looks alot better with viewing angles and color. i want $800 so i can buy one. :)

You know, I own the NEC one and I love it but for the look of the pictures I'm having hard time deciding which one looks better. Both look equally beautiful if comparing those 2 pictures... so If picture IQ is a concern and low cash is a problem I would not mind taking the Viewsonic... after all that was my second choice. I was lucky I could gather some extra pennies to get the NEC one :)

TRD Supra said:
I wouldnt want the viewsonic at all if i had the NEC. NEC has PIP, built in tv tuner, alot better viewing angles, 1600:1 a r, and take a look at this review :p http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3208

also you have to look at those 2 pics full size. you can tell the face on the viewsonic has a yellow to it. As for the NEC it looks great.

Right but like I said, "If low cash is a problem" :D I really think the Viewsonic would be a great choice.

Hi guys,

Still loving my NEC, but now in Battlefield 2 I am seeing some heavy tearing!!

Granted it's be like a month and a half before I can get my 7900, so I am stuck with and ATI X800XT for now. So I don't know if once I get a faster card it'll help the tearing issue in games!

I am still not quite sure why the tearing is there, becasue playing on my moms 15" Samsung LCD while waiting for the NEC I did not see any tearing! It's something with the dips and highs of FPS in games right?

I tried activating the Vsync in ATI Control Center and even installing DXTweaker and enabling tripple buffer, but neither seems to help!!

Any of you solved the tearing and what is your setup, I would really appreciate the help, it's kind of annyoing and I am worried even when I get a 7900 it'll not go away?

Please help!

EDIT: Seems like Vsync kicked in after a restart of my computer, so now is at 60 fps, but sometimes dips to 30 and stays locked there for a bit. Well, I guess it kind of solved the problem, but I will have to get a new GFX card soon.

If you guys do have any comments on Vsync and stuff please still post!

Thx

:eek: :eek:
Just spent a LOT of money. Got the NEC for 678 after shipping and ukoverclockers had a little off the Gainward Bliss ( AGP with 7900 core ) for 304 british pounds which was 567.04 in us dollars for a total of over 1200 dollars. Man I hope this card is worth every penny and has some kind of warrenty with them even if they aren't selling these things in the usa. :eek:

LCD noob here...

I just ordered this monitor, which is my first LCD ever (might as well go with the best) and I have a question.

I will likely use the monitor to play my X360 on it but I was wondering if there was a way to use my Logitech X-530 for sound instead of the crappy ones that come with the monitor.

MasonicInc said:
Hi guys,

Still loving my NEC, but now in Battlefield 2 I am seeing some heavy tearing!!

Granted it's be like a month and a half before I can get my 7900, so I am stuck with and ATI X800XT for now. So I don't know if once I get a faster card it'll help the tearing issue in games!

I am still not quite sure why the tearing is there, becasue playing on my moms 15" Samsung LCD while waiting for the NEC I did not see any tearing! It's something with the dips and highs of FPS in games right?

I tried activating the Vsync in ATI Control Center and even installing DXTweaker and enabling tripple buffer, but neither seems to help!!

Any of you solved the tearing and what is your setup, I would really appreciate the help, it's kind of annyoing and I am worried even when I get a 7900 it'll not go away?

Please help!

EDIT: Seems like Vsync kicked in after a restart of my computer, so now is at 60 fps, but sometimes dips to 30 and stays locked there for a bit. Well, I guess it kind of solved the problem, but I will have to get a new GFX card soon.

If you guys do have any comments on Vsync and stuff please still post!

Thx

No tearing here at all and I play BF2 and GRAW with a 7800GT card all maxed out to 1680x1050 native res.

I've been checking out this monitor for some time, I really hope a 24" is released by the time I upgrade (my 6800NU only pulls 1600x1200 in DVI) so getting it would be a waste ATM...

I think I am going to cry if I can't get an lcd with no stuck or dead pixels after going through about 20 of them now. I got my 3rd NEC today. The first one had a dead pixel in the dead center of the screen, and I returned it before really putting the backlight through it's paces to see how it was. The second one had a dead pixel in the taskbar area which I was ok with, but the speakers were broken and would make loud hissing noises without even being connected to a computer and the backlight bleeding was not ideal in one of the corners (ie, it was noticeable when watching movies and such or using a dark background.

Now for the worst one of all. My 3rd monitor had one stuck pixel when I first turned it on and massive backlight bleeding in the upper left hand corner. I was ok with the pixel since I have given up on perfection by now. So I turned the monitor off after using it for about an hour or so, and then after reading (I hate midterms) all day I come back to the computer, turn on the monitor and test the backlight again. It's still not perfect but its now much much better and actually not notcieable even with a dark wallpaper or watching 2.35:1 material.

Heres the problem, I decided to look for my stuck pixel again to see if it happened to even itself out and go away. So I go back to an all black screen to check it out and notice that the entire screen is like a christmas tree. The monitor has developed 100's if not 1000's of stuck green and red pixels. My luck astonishes me.

I am not trying to deter anyone from buying this monitor as I love its image quality. I am just finding a place to vent my horrible horrible luck.

sorry to hear your luck SonComet. Mine, after about a week and a half developed a stuck green pixel in upper/middle of screen. Still debating what to do, I want to get a all black unit, but I think if I risk it, I'll get the same fate as you. And no-one local to me has a all black one.

:( SonComet, mind asking where you got these from? I hope not from the same place mines coming from.

After researching the Viewsonic VX2025wm after seeing it on sale locally (including following the thread on it on this forum), I decided to take one home.

The anti-glare coating really bothers my eyes though. It looks like everything is below a layer of frost. I tried to get used to it but I can't stand it, epecially on high-rez photos of skies and people, and on very small fonts. At $350 after rebate it was a good deal, but I would rather have a glare-type screen for the richness it provides without a bright micro-pebbled look. So I am returning the Viewsonic.

Having said that, I wonder if you could give me your impression of the regularity of this NEC screen on solid fields of color. I'd also like to know how it handles very small fonts. I would rather pay premium and get a monitor that isn't going to make me squint on fuzzy text or see blue frost instead of sky.. :rolleyes:

elvn said:
Having said that, I wonder if you could give me your impression of the regularity of this NEC screen on solid fields of color. I'd also like to know how it handles very small fonts. I would rather pay premium and get a monitor that isn't going to make me squint on fuzzy text or see blue frost instead of sky.. :rolleyes:

NEC, Solid colors are SOLID. No viewing angle problems either, as in seeing the sides get gradually brigher in black/gray tones. All in all, the NEC is easier to look at when viewing text, it's clean and sharp It looks much sweeter looking at pictures, more vibrant. Finally, gaming on the NEC is marginally better than the viewsonic, unless you do an unfair comparison and turn on the DV modes on, which in turn turn up the color banding, but games like UT2003/UT2004 still look amazing with DV-Gaming/or DC-Picture modes. However, be ware of gradients, color banding galore, the NEC is not a perfect 8bit panel IMHO. At least not in comparison to the Viewsonic.

elvn said:
The anti-glare coating really bothers my eyes though. It looks like everything is below a layer of frost. I tried to get used to it but I can't stand it, epecially on high-rez photos of skies and people, and on very small fonts. At $350 after rebate it was a good deal, but I would rather have a glare-type screen for the richness it provides without a bright micro-pebbled look. So I am returning the Viewsonic.
It seems that you are also not the huge fan of the AR coating panels "grainy" look. Same situation here. If you open the page 9 of this thread, you may find some interesting comments about the NEC OptiClear.

_DrMario_ said:
LCD noob here...

I just ordered this monitor, which is my first LCD ever (might as well go with the best) and I have a question.

I will likely use the monitor to play my X360 on it but I was wondering if there was a way to use my Logitech X-530 for sound instead of the crappy ones that come with the monitor.

Yes, simply plug the supplied audio cable from the monitor to the line-in on your sound card. :D

Reading texts with the NEC it's one of the things I'm enjoying the most very very sharp...better than my retired CRT Sony Trinitron E440. I'm tempted to plug the Sony and take screen shots to compare both so you can see it... but the laziness is killing me today :D

elvn said:
After researching the Viewsonic VX2025wm after seeing it on sale locally (including following the thread on it on this forum), I decided to take one home.

I didn't think the Viewsonic had an anti-glare coating? Is that different from the NEC's glossy coating?

They have the Viewsonics at Compusa now, I'll check it out. Nobody has the NEC yet do they? I don't have a Fry's.

Anyone use this LCD with a X1900 XT(X)? let me know if it works fine or you had problems with it. I am looking to get a X1900 XT.

I went with the Viewsonic option for $$ reasons.

That NEC is a very nice monitor...............

I guess there is always the next upgrade. :D

Yes Varmint the Viewsonic2025wm has an anti-glare coating, which is a pebbled or frost-like layer that you view the screen through. If the viewsonic did not have this layer it would be great for me but I can't put up with it. It bothers my eyes especially when reading text beneath the glaze, and reduction of reading eyestrain is one of the things I like LCDs for normally. It is also especially evident when you see flat plains of colors glazed (speckeled and un-uniform); including skies, smooth water, people's skin, etc.

The NEC 20WMGX2 has a glare-type screen (not anti-glare). This means it has something like an acrylic (plexiglass) panel which is reflective but which also increases the richness and depth of blacks and colors.

I haven't seen the NEC personally but I have been lucky enough to have the use of a 1920 x 1200 WUXGA glare-type screen by LG for a few weeks on a laptop I had on-loan. A good glare-type screen looks amazing. Like some people have said in this thread, it looks as if you are peering through a window *into* photos and 3d environments. It also is very easy on the eyes. I had noticibly reduced eyestrain on the glare-type panel compared to my crt. This pebbled/frosted viewsonic makes my eyes tighten. :( Its going back to the store tomorrow.

It would be nice if the anti-glare screen layers were removable, like the add-on ones for crt.

Back