New NEC 20WMGX2!!! (Pics inside 56K)

Pick up the monitor tonight, been working on some logos for about an hour and messing around and surfing with the NEC.

Screen looks amazing, text is so clear and bright there is no fading colors from top to bottom at all. Colors DO NOT shift at all when your tilt your head or what not.. BIG plus for me with my design work. Screen and text and sharpness plus viewing angles blows away the LG L203WT. Screen clarity color and sharpness matches my 2 CRTs Sony G420 and my Viewsonic G810 pretty impressive.

I have been messing with color banding tests and I do have some banding but they are better than the LG L203WT not by much thou. Kinda disappointing with the test but I feel I did not really notice it at all when using Photoshop and Illustrator , but did when surfing some websites. I guess this is something that I will have to live with as all 3 LCD that I tried had banding (Samsung 204b, LG L203WT and the NEC), never clear like my CRT's hopefully LEDs or some other new technology for LCDs will solve this problem?

Also The NEC does have quite of bit of back light bleed on all 4 corners, sucks but you cannot really notice unless it is a dark screen. I have heard the the backlight bleed goes away after some usage, not sure if that is BS or not. The LG have much less backlight bleed.

Another thing I have noticed with the DV modes is that it really made to color banding test WORSE and found that the standard way from the factory was best for desktop app and graphic programs. Was weird as each mode seem to make the banding worse.

The glare issue is not an issue at all, i feel. As soon as it is power up it look amazing. I even was working with an over head light on and did not notice an glare.

I dot not really game on my PC just with my kids and there games, got my 61 Samsung DLP with media center Radeon XT with DVI and Xbox360, that looks AMAZING.

So I will be testing it out for a bit but so it looks like it might be a keeper. So damm expensive 750.00 want to make sure that it is worth it over my LG L203WT for 479.00.
Plus do not know if I will use the TV features or any other of the inputs but damm this screen looks good and works great.

-Dave

xXxDieselxXx, wow sounds like you're impressed and so am I, NOW if they only come out with a 23"-24" then I'm in!

WoOt

THANKS

I know nobody cares but I was in the market for a new LCD (and even looked at this NEC in the store) and finally grew tired of all the banding, backlight and other issues with these 20" widescreens, so I just ordered the dell 1907fp for like $237 after tax... I'll get my widescreen goodness once they come out with versions with no problems.

D-mn you guys there goes some of Uncle Sam's return to me. :D

Pictures speak a thousand words and really convinced me this is the lcd to get. It looks like this guy can give my Sony G520 a run for its money. :eek:

I wanted a 24incher but the images displayed on this monitor are just too sweet.

Before I ordered this one I had already ordered the LG 203 lcd from BB. Probably not going to even open it up, though I'm tempted to see what the two look like side by side.

Thanks for the post! ;)

I have been playing BF2 and Oblivion and so far everything is excellent... this monitor has passed my expectations. Also watching TV while browsing priceless :D

Rogue4mula said:
I know nobody cares but I was in the market for a new LCD (and even looked at this NEC in the store) and finally grew tired of all the banding, backlight and other issues with these 20" widescreens, so I just ordered the dell 1907fp for like $237 after tax... I'll get my widescreen goodness once they come out with versions with no problems.

Hey thats cool. Buy whatever pleases you. Im also in the market for something like this for my brother. Let me know how you like it please.

Rogue4mula said:

While you're holding out for the perfect monitor, how are you possibly going to stand a monitor with a pixel pitch of .294? So that's $237 to rub sandpaper across your retinas or $750 for stunning picture quality.

I have zero dead pixels, no backlight bleed or any other issues with my 20WMGX2. Personally, I'm hyper-sensitive to the screen-door effect on a lot of LCDs, and this monitor has none of that. It's amazing.

cyrk said:
Another thing I have noticed with the DV modes is that it really made to color banding test WORSE and found that the standard way from the factory was best for desktop app and graphic programs. Was weird as each mode seem to make the banding worse.
If you are referring to Game/Movie/Photo modes, when you activate them DFC (digital fine contrast) engine is kicking in and because the monitor software is dynamically controlling the contrast, gamma and backlight according to the screen content, you may notice the slight colour banding and generally it's not related to the colour depth on the screen. This is probably more visible in dark games when you have intensive colour transitions from the dark to bright colour shades and vice versa. Bright gaming scenery or other screen content should be fine as it's much less pronounceable here. Generally speaking, it may be distracting for some people but some of them didn't notice this ... so we may possibly conclude that personal perception is also important factor here. Unfortunately, colour gradients tests are not the best test for the DFC ... as screen have to be textured. In that sense, when you work with the pictures, gaming or if there is any other activity when the screen is "noisy", DV monitor profiles are actually working very well. If the matter is distracting for some of you, solution is simple. Just flick the monitor to standard profile with or without Advanced DVM. Picture should be equally good and you may further tweak the brightness and contrast. Monitor is tweaking friendly, so I guess that everyone can adapt the screen to their needs or simply fine tune the options in order to expose the excellent screen characteristics.

Some people may notice the slight noise in the compressed photos or movies content.This is not happening because monitor is unable to display the full colour gamut, but because of the screen overdrive (which is giving you great response times). It's usually related to the compressed screen content and essentially is the same as the "twinkling" effect in movies. This is the known "feature" of the LCD technology and you may find this even on the high end LCD TV sets. Did you ever tried to watch your LCD TV from the close proximity ? It's quite bad, honestly. When you run the proper colour gradients and uniformity tests on NEC, results are really superb. Another thing is that IPS panels are more sensitive to the imperfections in the display content (especially compressed one), so they are generally more exposed. At the end, it seems that NEC picture is really nicely balanced when you consider the fast response times. Usually, very fast panels or overdrive itself can bring the additional side effects to colour reproduction.

Anyhow, yes, this monitor is da' bomb. Best in exsistence and so near and sometimes way beyond the CRT comparable levels.

cyrk said:
The glare issue is not an issue at all, i feel. As soon as it is power up it look amazing. I even was working with an over head light on and did not notice an glare.
OptiClear coating is a triumph. I'm really starting now to appreciate the "grainy screen free" look of the NEC panel. Recently, I was visiting my old friend and he has Dell 2005FPW. When I looked at his monitor, I could easily see the grainy texture of the LCD screen ... and that was something I always disliked about the LCD panels. It seems that now I'm so much used (may I say spoiled) with the NEC screen, that grainy look of other LCD panels is just weird to me. Also, usual AR (anti reflective) coating of LCD monitors looks somehow (now) dull & matt to me. Weird. As another happy camper of this monitor mentioned, NEC screen (and thankfully to OptiClear) is really just "window" to another world. Here is the quote from him: (I like it very much, perfect description of the OptiClear perception):

"
With the Opticlear all you see is the image and no surface, just like a high quality CRT and even looks as so the image is just floating there with a great sense of the panel being more like a window into another world, and more immersive for video editing and computer games, it just helps to add that xtra vibrance to the spectrum. I think the opticlear screen is a triumph.
"
OptiClear is really doing wonders and you will be lost in the colour depth (especially black). It reminds me so much of the old CRT days glory. Great.

NEC should pay me for this :D but I just came from Best Buy to get some stuff I needed and went to check some LCDs they had there and I have no doubt the NEC 20WMGX2 is the best 20.1 " LCD in the market right now... I could easilly see the huge eye candy difference.. perhaps BB was using cheap video cards but it was clear to me I made the right decision... A window to another world are the right words.. for this monitor.. :D

Sorry if I sound like a fan boy but I have never been so excited about a monitor until now.. and that coming from someone who dishes computer parts every other month :D

xXxDieselxXx said:
NEC should pay me for this :D but I just came from Best Buy to get some stuff I needed and went to check some LCDs they had there and I have no doubt the NEC 20WMGX2 is the best 20.1 " LCD in the market right now... I could easilly see the huge eye candy difference.. perhaps BB was using cheap video cards but it was clear to me I made the right decision... A window to another world are the right words.. for this monitor.. :D

Sorry if I sound like a fan boy but I have never been so excited about a monitor until now.. and that coming from someone who dishes computer parts every other month :D

Hey dont apologize. be happy you bought something you really like. Most of us here who love technology, use feedback and reviews to inform us, but bottom line, we still want that sweet spot when purchasing where we ourselves are happy with the purchase. you have achieved that so be happy.

Hey guys,

Thanks through all your replies to help me think about my coming purchase!

But never the less I am still thinking about these three 20" widescreen:

Viewsonic vx2025wm
LG L203WT
NEC 20WMGX2

I have a hard time finding anything about the LG but it looks really nice. The only points I can see is people talking about what panel really is in it. But it seems to be a TN. Specs are okay though!

The Viewsonic is cheap and you know where it lacks a bit compared to the NEC, but some sites give it high paise and some trash it a bit more!

Then the NEC, my original choise was the LG, but then I saw the NEC and read all you guys opinion and on top of that I found out that the LG is a TN panel, or is it? But the NEC sounds awesome and looks sweet even though the LG looks just as good.

But performance!!! I need it for gaming and a lot of 3D work, I'm an animator!
The only thing is the price, here in Denmark the NEC is about 125 bucks more then the LG and 150 more then the Viewsonic.

Tell me my money is well spent on the NEC?
Will the monitor stretch the image in any way playing games like BF2 and can it run with black bars on the sides in normal resolution instead of widescreen?
The glare is it any bad in a sunlite room from behind the monitor but with little shine things in the room?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions, just don't have much cash and will prob have to buy new gfx card to do my new monitor justice (only have a X800 XL).

Thanks and keep up these good posts. Oh and yeah xXxDieselxXx dont appoligize, I like your honest opinion!

Thanks guys!

MasonicInc did you see my post above? I have the LG L203WT and now the NEC...

Hi Masonic,

Tell me my money is well spent on the NEC?
Yes, and more

Will the monitor stretch the image in any way playing games like BF2 and can it run with black bars on the sides in normal resolution instead of widescreen?
Ran BF2 at 1680x1050@60Hhz and it ran stretched in wide screen and I liked like that even though the game doesn't support WS. I haven't tried running in normal screen mode ... Maybe someone could answer this.. I'm trapped at work.. I could try later ;)

The glare is it any bad in a sunlite room from behind the monitor but with little shine things in the room?
Once the monitor is On... glare is gone.. there is no glare once of ever I was very worried about it.. I even called a friend to give it a second look and he was instead asking me where and how much did I pay for that.. I think that gives you a hint ;)

Thanks for everyone who has posted their impressions on the NEC 20WMGX2... I'm ordering one on Monday once I get back from out of town! Was going to go through NewEgg but they're out of stock (probably from this thread), so I'm gonna order from Amazon I think.
FEDEX all the way, since UPS likes to play soccer with my packages.

oooh I'm excited nanana

oakfox said:
Thanks for everyone who has posted their impressions on the NEC 20WMGX2... I'm ordering one on Monday once I get back from out of town! Was going to go through NewEgg but they're out of stock (probably from this thread), so I'm gonna order from Amazon I think.
FEDEX all the way, since UPS likes to play soccer with my packages.

oooh I'm excited nanana

Welcome to the window to the other world :D hehehe

In case you are interested I bought mine from Buy.com and last I checked 2 days ago there was a message of "Running Out of Stock"

First time buying from Buy.com and very happy.. I bought from them cause they had the Black and Silver plus $50 Rebate (NewEgg too) and $15 Coupon first time customer..

Ah... also forgot to mention they shipped the monitor via Fedex.. and came faster than expected...

Only downside.. I got one stuck pixel I can't even see

Good luck ;)

Hi guys,

Cyrk yeah I saw you post thank you, just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

xXxDieselxXx, once again thanks for all ya help and all you other guys too!

When I asked about stretched, I mean it the image distorted so like the minimap in BF2 will get oval instead of round?

Thanks again guys, I think I might just join the club, hehe!

MasonicInc said:
When I asked about stretched, I mean it the image distorted so like the minimap in BF2 will get oval instead of round?
NEC is calling this "resolution expansion mode" and there are 3 modes:

- Full is stretching the image completely, so that whole screen is covered.

- Aspect is trying to simulate the monitor wide-screen aspect rate 16:10 on the selected resolution. It's stretched little bit, but there are still black bars left/right but not at the top (as far as I can see).

- Off is disabling any picture scaling processing. Resolution is natural as it should be. It's sharp and unaltered in any way. And, yes, there are tiny black bars on top/bottom and larger ones on left/right.

It's working for all resolutions of 1280x1024 and under and it's great for the people who are unable to run the games in the native 1680x1050 resolution. I think that you are asking about the third mode ;)

xXxDieselxXx said:
Only downside.. I got one stuck pixel I can't even see
Is that stuck pixel definitely ?

Reason why I'm asking is that usually dead pixels are not so much distracting (like maybe stuck/lazy - sub pixels) as they are generally dark, dimmed and usually slightly greyish ... rarely white. Valve of the white dead pixel is simply fixed in "up" position and it's allowing the backlight to go through, but not manipulating the amount (like healthy pixels do in order to produce the colour). Black dead pixel valve is fixed in "down" position and it's blocking the backlight, which is better option and statistically they are somehow more present. They are more "visible" on pure green, probably less on white, blue or red screen and colour glare of the surrounding pixels is the additional effect which is minimising the dead pixels side effects. Essentially, they are visible to the (possible) "annoying" extent only with the specific set of pure background colours and usually when you are particularly looking for them. With the pixel pitch of 0.258, 1680x1050 resolution and the fact that monitor screen is always flashy, textured and coloured ... I guess that it must be really hard to find them (if you are not aware about their existence) and OptiClear should "smooth" the dead pixels slightly more (as you don't see that grainy LCD surface). Many people probably wouldn't spot the one or two dead pixels during normal monitor usage and sometimes they are even unaware that they do have them, unless they run dead pixel tester or some other specific monitor testing software. Of course, then you have that psychological annoyance that you are simply "aware" about the existence of the dead pixels on your screen and they are constantly distracting you to look for them again and again and again (and usually without any particular or logical reason or just to be sure that they are still there).

Stuck or lazy or sub pixels (all terms are the same) are red, green or blue and (visually) things are things are sometimes more complicated with them. Slightly positive thing is that on the IPS panels, dead pixels are usually dark and that lazy pixels can recover sometimes (not related to IPS panels).

DVL73 said:

Reason why I'm asking is that usually dead pixels are not so much distracting (like maybe stuck/lazy - sub pixels) as they are generally dark, dimmed and usually slightly greyish ... rarely white. Valve of the white dead pixel is simply fixed in "up" position and it's allowing the backlight to go through, but not manipulating the amount (like healthy pixels do in order to produce the colour). Black dead pixel valve is fixed in "down" position and it's blocking the backlight, which is better option and statistically they are somehow more present. They are more "visible" on pure green, probably less on white, blue or red screen and colour glare of the surrounding pixels is the additional effect which is minimising the dead pixels side effects. Essentially, they are visible to the (possible) "annoying" extent only with the specific set of pure background colours and usually when you are particularly looking for them. With the pixel pitch of 0.258, 1680x1050 resolution and the fact that monitor screen is always flashy, textured and coloured ... I guess that it must be really hard to find them (if you are not aware about their existence) and OptiClear should "smooth" the dead pixels slightly more (as you don't see that grainy LCD surface). Many people probably wouldn't spot the one or two dead pixels during normal monitor usage and sometimes they are even unaware that they do have them, unless they run dead pixel tester or some other specific monitor testing software. Of course, then you have that psychological annoyance that you are simply "aware" about the existence of the dead pixels on your screen and they are constantly distracting you to look for them again and again and again (and usually without any particular or logical reason or just to be sure that they are still there).

Stuck or lazy or sub pixels (all terms are the same) are red, green or blue and (visually) things are things are sometimes more complicated with them. Slightly positive thing is that on the IPS panels, dead pixels are usually dark and that lazy pixels can recover sometimes (not related to IPS panels).

I believe it's stuck pixel as it's red color but it's very very hard to spot. I knew was there cause as picky as I am almost put my nose against the screen to look for any imperfection... even my buddy could not see while I was pointing it to him. We even spent several minutes changing screen colors and he still was not able to see it.. finally he made a bigger effort and saw it. It's very tiny... my wife's monitor has one stuck pixel and it looks like 4 times bigger than mine... so I guess I can live with that... after all I had to get used to with the 2 typical lines of the Sony Trinitron grills...back on the old CRT days (Yesterday :D ) if you know what I mean ;)

xXxDieselxXx said:
so I guess I can live with that... after all I had to get use to with the 2 typical lines of the Sony Trinitron grills...back on the old CRT days (Yesterday :D ) if you know what I mean ;)
Exactly, that's why my previous post ;) Sometimes there is no reason that we are so fussy if it's not problem for day 2 day work and it's not distractive. Believe it or not, couple of days ago I was thinking also about those 2 lines of the CRT aperture grills (I had Diamondtron M2 tube before) and you spotted this very well. Man, that's like having 2 rows of 1680 dead (dark) pixels LOL

i am now also a proud owner of this monitor, and i gotta say that it really does kick some ass. here are my main points and observations:

• out of the advanced DV modes, the only acceptable ones are standard and text. this is because they show the least amount of banding. movie, gaming and photo are absolutely horrendous in terms of banding, but it really depends on the content you're viewing. for instance, playing FEAR really shows the banding on any LCD and especially with these modes, but something like day of defeat source looks really amazing with the photo DV mode
  • the photo DV mode is where the 1600:1 contrast ratio really shines. it's simply amazing if you're viewing content that won't easily show banding
  • the remote is an absolute godsend for adjusting monitor options and perusing inputs. you will wonder how you ever lived with a traditional monitor OSD
  • the amount of adjustments are really amazing. there are even specific adjustments for specific modes, and you can do things like fine tune specific tv channels, adjust color temperature, and so many many other options
  • you can adjust the brightness of the power LED in increments of 1%. this is the most worthless feature i've ever seen, but it just shows the attention of detail that NEC offers
  • the included speaker bar is very handy for tv mode
  • the monitor switches display modes very quickly, so you won't miss your bios POST information if you need to see it
  • it runs very hot compared to my other LCD (hyundai L90D+). so far it hasn't caused any problems, but i might set up a fan behind it to blow on the monitor and my face
  • the refresh rate cannot be raised above 60hz at native resolution on DVI. as it is, it uses about 146mhz of DVI bandwidth which is relatively close to the 165mhz maximum. when i tried 65hz, it worked but gave me a "mode not supported" error and would not let me enter the menu. when i tried 70hz, it was over the 165mhz max and everything was very blurry. i will have to live with the tearing that 60hz causes in games (i cannot stand vsync because of the slight additional input delay it causes)
there are probably some things i'm forgetting, but i've only had this monitor for a day. after buying and returning the samsung 244t, samsung 204b, and LG 203wt, i'm very happy i finally found this one in stock. if you've got the cash, buy it; you will NOT be disappointed. ;)

saw this monitor at frys the other day. Very rich colors that come off. Would like a 24" tho.

DVL73 said:

I must be super sensitive to dead/stuck pixels and sub pixels then. I saw the dead sub-pixel on my first NEC on my wallpaper before even trying to test for stuck or dead pixels. I can usually catch dead pixels in the few seconds before the blue windows splash screen is over. They just stand out like sore thumbs to my eyes even at a normal viewing distance. I can see them when watching movies too, especially if they are colored. My family and friends think I am crazy, but they really do bother me, lol. I hope that my second NEC which arrives tomorrow has no pixel problems. I remember when one of my friends bet me I couldn't find any dead pixels on his monitor since he had never seen any and thus thought he had none. I found 3 in less than 30 seconds on his normal wallpaper.

Someone posted this information here on the forum:

NEC 23" AS-IPS (LM230WU3 LCD module is available, my guess this will be available after the HP and DELL screens)

So I'm holding out, I'd really love to see something like done as a 23". :)

ALOHA

cyrk said:
-Dave
Yup Noticed that too !!!

BTW anyone who would like no banding at all, the ViewSonic 2025wm has none, IMHO. It does have a slight bit of that anti-glare coating issue, makes things look a bit crystalized, shimmery. But I think most can overlook this.

Beautifull lcd, i got to play with THE first 1 ever built month's back when i had to go to the NEC privet viewing, was cool they had it at the Belagio hotel here in vegas in the VIP suite, and sure enuff they were demoing it useing HL2..yea i played on it till my hand's hurt~! :D But really it is a great lcd...

Side by Side - NEC 20WMGX2 vs. Viewsonic WM2025wm

lcdsnitelsmall1qe.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

lcdsdaylsmall6zr.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

The two monitors were tweaked to LOOK as close as possible to eachother when this pic was taken(brightness/contrast/color values). Viewsonic brightness is maxed out, and the NEC sitting comfortably at about 53%.

Yup. Though whites were 99% matched between the two screens. No green tinge was showing. But, lot of images looked yellower on the viewsonic even after having the whites match. Trully, images look more REAL / LIFE LIKE on the viewsonic ... The NEC spoils the whole comparison, kinda like having a nice-good contrast CRT. It's beautiful to look at, but not REAL. All in all the NEC makes them eye candy. There's another oddity, in pure reds, the viewsonic would show them slightly pink/magenta toned, weird since it's obviously showing that it pushes a bit more green in the mid tones(flesh tones)

On page 3 the color of one of those pics of the NEC showing the X-men trailer looks a bit off.

The one with the Beast/Kelsey Grammer. The blue looks too metallic, shiny or something. What’s with that?

Those of you that own the NEC, how do you rate it for movie playback?

I see that Circuit City now carries this monitor:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/NEC-...50271/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I been really enjoying the colors and crispness of this monitor, I wish I did not have the color banding but i guess you will always have that with LCD's. Also my back light bleeding sucks, I do not notice it only on dark screens and such. Might replace it but I hear that it take 5 days for it to even itself out. Guess we will see about that. Do any of you guys have color banding or backlight bleed?

But using Photoshop and Illustrator all last night to finished up some work and it is just as good as my CRT. Very pleased so far other than the banding and backlight.

-Dave

margarineoferror said:
On page 3 the color of one of those pics of the NEC showing the X-men trailer looks a bit off.

The one with the Beast/Kelsey Grammer. The blue looks too metallic, shiny or something. What’s with that?
Not sure. Maybe it's the camera effect or simply how the monitor was configured. Anyhow, it's not deformity in usual sense. Monitor does have colours bit on the warm side, but it's easily tuneable to anyone taste.

margarineoferror said:
Those of you that own the NEC, how do you rate it for movie playback?
I guess that you are asking this because of the famous "twinkling effects" in movies thing. Personally, for me was just fine. Colours are vibrant already on this monitor, contrast is excellent (including black levels) and everything mentioned is also reflected during the movie playback, in positive way. Of course, screen noise is present and my advice is that you watch your movies from relative distance and effect will fade away. It's more or less same thing when you watch your LCD TV from the close proximity and notice all that picture noise. Personally, I don't use the NEC so much for movies (my other LCD TV is for that purpose) ... but maybe other owners may also comment on this one.

SonComet said:
I must be super sensitive to dead/stuck pixels and sub pixels then. I saw the dead sub-pixel on my first NEC on my wallpaper before even trying to test for stuck or dead pixels. I can usually catch dead pixels in the few seconds before the blue windows splash screen is over. They just stand out like sore thumbs to my eyes even at a normal viewing distance. I can see them when watching movies too, especially if they are colored. My family and friends think I am crazy, but they really do bother me, lol. I hope that my second NEC which arrives tomorrow has no pixel problems. I remember when one of my friends bet me I couldn't find any dead pixels on his monitor since he had never seen any and thus thought he had none. I found 3 in less than 30 seconds on his normal wallpaper.
LOL Hats off for you ! You do have DPT (dead pixel tester) eyes, no doubt ;)

My second monitor came with 1 dead pixel (although its really liveable since its in the taskbar of all places), but also with massive backlight bleeding in the lower right hand corner :(. So I am getting an exchange. My first one (that had a dead pixel in the center of the screen had a fantastic backlight. So I guess that is something to watch out for on this monitor.

MrkXCeL said:
Does anyone here have the ALL BLACK version ? if so, where did you buy it?

Sorry If I didn't answer your question.. but you never know.. I got mine from Buy.com and it's the Black and Silver version... basically it's all black but the front display frame (It's metal gray).

talked to manager in BB. They should have them in stock at may 7th in MN. The retail price shows as 699.00 (not sure what are they going to charge though.) But hopefully price should come down a little.

Back