New NEC 20WMGX2!!! (Pics inside 56K)

DasFox said:
Well personally this glossy coating thing I would think sucks, your going to get reflections in it. I'm only using the LCD for gaming, which I do mostly at night, but sometimes in the day I want to game, I mean who doesn't. And in the day time, currents closed there is no such thing as pitch black in my house, so I would see this glossy as a MAJOR drawback, for me at least, that would drive me nutts.

is this AS-IPS panel the best for gaming? Somone said the LG panels right now are junk....

ALOHA
dude, trust me get the glossy. You wont go back to antiglare. EVER.

jcll2002 said:
dude, trust me get the glossy. You wont go back to antiglare. EVER.

No way DUDE, hehe these things have issues with glare. I have heard around the Web that's the biggest problems with these, like I said I know it would bother me.

They even mention that at BeHardware:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/610-4/nec-20wgx-an-ips-equivalent-to-a-2-ms-tn.html

may be bothersome at some moments.

"May", LOL, I'm real sensitive, as in I'm very aware of my surroundings, so things like this would really play on my nerves.

But are we talking no worse here then the glossy look of a CRT screen? Or is this something more glossy then that?

ALOHA

Yeah baby..! My monitor (NEC 20WMGX2) has been shipped and should be at home tomorrow... I will let you know regarding the color banding test.

xXxDieselxXx said:
Yeah baby..! My monitor (NEC 20WMGX2) has been shipped and should be at home tomorrow... I will let you know regarding the color banding test.

And don't FORGET the GLARE!

We need a GLARE REPORT. :)

DasFox said:
No way DUDE, hehe these things have issues with glare. I have heard around the Web that's the biggest problems with these, like I said I know it would bother me.

They even mention that at BeHardware:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/610-4/nec-20wgx-an-ips-equivalent-to-a-2-ms-tn.html

"May", LOL, I'm real sensitive, as in I'm very aware of my surroundings, so things like this would really play on my nerves.

But are we talking no worse here then the glossy look of a CRT screen? Or is this something more glossy then that?

ALOHA
unless you have a sun right behind you angled to go right in your eye, you wont notice it IMHO.

xXxDieselxXx said:

Well, we're going to get the "OFFICAL NEC GLARE REPORT", so we'll have to wait and see. xXxDieselxXx don't let us down man, we need the hardcore LEVEL 5 REPORT on this. All hours of the day, lighting conditions, etc.. etc...., that someone of your great gaming stature can give us.

LOL

WoOT

P.S. I can't wait, because it's the only thing holding me back, actually a 24" model would be nice too.

DasFox said:
Well, we're going to get the "OFFICAL NEC GLARE REPORT", so we'll have to wait and see. xXxDieselxXx don't let us down man, we need the hardcore LEVEL 5 REPORT on this. All hours of the day, lighting conditions, etc.. etc...., that someone of your great gaming stature can give us.

LOL

WoOT

P.S. I can't wait, because it's the only thing holding me back, actually a 24" model would be nice too.

I won't let you down and trust me I am extremelly picky with monitors and eye candy... also I'm going from CRT to LCD so that will give some honest opinion.. I'm very skeptical of LCD's until I saw the NEC option... so lets see tomorrow.. can't wait :D

I saw the monitor at Frys. I could plainly see the store lights in the background.

I haven't bought it yet because of the glare, but since it appears that all 20" widescreens suck for one reason or another, this still might end up being the best choice.

Can you tell if the glare can be compared to a CRT monitor? After all a CRT monitor has the regular glass glare... if that's the case I'm not concerned... I'll try tomorrow to place my CRT next to the NEC and compare.

It has more glare than a crt. I tested it side by side with one. Still, it was the best looking 20" LCD I have tested so far. I could see my reflection very very easily in a black screen and also when the screen was displaying a solid color. But in games and with a wallpaper on, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I am trying to get the monitor again and will be ordering one tonight since they just e-mailed me back saying they do exchanges for even 1 stuck or dead pixel.

It was about equally reflective as my hd direct-view crt tv and plasma. But like I said the image quality was so nice that I could overlook the reflection. Also, I just see this monitor as a stop-gap for me until good LED lcds get under the 1.5k mark.

i've got a toshiba laptop with the glossy screen at work, similar to the NEC (although not in the same ballpark quality wise)

it's well worth the little glare problems. the only way I can describe the effect is "crisp". it's just gorgeous. if I had the scratch i'd be all over one of these NEC panels.

Well if you look at my link below for my "GameRig" I have the specs for a 24" 1920x MAX detail gaming, so I'd really rather get something bigger.

Anyhow I heard someone here mention, that a NEC 23" AS-IPS, LM230WU3 LCD module is available and coming soon.

So I'd love to see if it will be something similar.

ALOHA

ianmassey said:
i've got a toshiba laptop with the glossy screen at work, similar to the NEC (although not in the same ballpark quality wise)

it's well worth the little glare problems. the only way I can describe the effect is "crisp". it's just gorgeous. if I had the scratch i'd be all over one of these NEC panels.
qft

The LG Philips LM230WU3 LCD module is available, its another story if NEC decided to build a monitor using it due to the cost of the panel. IMO the 1st 23" monitor using this module will be Apple or Viewsonic and it definetly wont be cheap, I expect it to cost abit more than a 24" S-PVA/P-MVA panel. The Philips 230WP7NS is using the panel however without the DVM option to boost the contrast ratio, price is around £910-£970 so £50-£90 more expensive than the HP 24" 2465.

Slap me if I missed anyone commenting on the following...

Has anyone noticed that the DV modes tend to make everything look like you're running in 16BIt vs 24/32bit modes? If you haven't seen this, you can try getting a high res deviant art or interfaceLIFT wallpaper with some sort of smooth gradient. BTW sorry if this will make your stomach turn ... it did for me, but I'm still keeping the NEC. It's got too many pluses to outweight any cons.

BTW there's more bad news, this monitor does not display full 16M colors even with Advanced DV off, Standard profile and everything set to factory settings. Try the image below. Yes there may be SOME compression going on, but the Viewsonic 2025wm next to my NEC shows almost ZERO banding in the gradiets

http://images.sinisterdevelopments.com/wallpapers/Dual_Blood_Cells.jpg

Breaking News..! My monitor arrived by 8:40 AM... man I love Fedex...

First Impressions:

Since the box was basically frozen I decided to take the monitor out of the box to let him warm up to room temperatures.

However now I see what everybody said about glossy... man I have never since something more glossy than this... it's basically a black mirror. I can't think of anything that's black color and so glossy.. it might be close to a brand new black car just waxed and polished. Basically grab a regular LCD and put a piece of flexy glass over it. That's what it really looks like.

nec17iw.jpg

The monitor is striking sexy and intimidating.. black and silver with almost 3 inches tick panel. It looks bulky.. but sexy :D

Viewing or Display area is 17" wide and 10.5" high so comparing to my old 19" CRT it has the same high and 3 inches wider.

I'm pretty worried about the "Glare" factor.. I was expecting same glare as a regular CRT..

I'll be posting some pictures soon...

You are right.. sorry I have been very busy jumping here and there and not able to test much but the Monitor is just amazing.. once it's On there is no glare at all and the TV functions are jaw dropper.

Everything looks amazing... Oblivion I feel like getting inside.. and I haven't played much with the video card tweaks .. I will post more information when people stop calling me.. I'm working from home doing system support calls ... go figure I have a new toy and getting support calls left and right... Infidels...!
:D

Got one on hold at Fry's going to pick it up tonight to test it against my LG L203WT... Hope is deals with the colors better with less banding's and better viewing angles.

-Dave

Here is the Color Banding Test.. I had to actually reduce the picture size it was too big but it looks great:

neccbtestreduced6os.png

Looks smooth! so was there any banding in the gradients? Since you reduced it it is hard to tell.

cyrk said:
Looks smooth! so was there any banding in the gradients? Since you reduced it it is hard to tell.

It looks as smooth as the picture
If you want me to I can drop the original screenshot 5+ megs file into an FTP or something... but trust me it looks amazing in every game....

I just can say WOW..! this is a keeper... I love this monitor... finally got the LCD I was hoping for.

Only bad news :( It came with one stuck pixel but I can't even see it so I will keep the monitor I like it so much...

Here is my old 19" CRT "Farewell..!" vs the NEC LCD
dscn1451s0jw.jpg

The red lines you see in the pictures are just pure camera effect... the games just look amazing... and I'm getting from 77 to 99 FPS's at 1680x1050@60Hz in BF2 with a 7800GT
dscn1456s7pk.jpg
dscn1458s6gf.jpg
dscn1457s0gq.jpg
:D

Very sweet man, congrats! I'm coming from a crt too and I'm loving every thing about this monitor. Would you agree that it has the BEST image quality you've ever seen compared to current LCD's? Also what setting are you playing your games at? I play everything at 1680x1050 with the monitor set to "Movie" @ 1600:1, contrast 60%, brightness 100%. Try this setting, Its looks absolutely amazing!!! :eek: :eek:

xXxDieselxXx are you using VGA or DVI? Also have you guys used it for any design work with photoshop, illustrator? how is it with desktop apps surfing, word etc...?
I really do not play allot of games on the PC I want this monitor for my graphic design work.

cyrk said:
xXxDieselxXx are you using VGA or DVI? Also have you guys used it for any design work with photoshop, illustrator? how is it with desktop apps surfing, word etc...?
I really do not play allot of games on the PC I want this monitor for my graphic design work.

I use DVI and I just don't have words to express how great this monitor is.

reagarding desktop apps surfing, word etc... I feel it looks more vivid and bright than my CRT even the colors are so crisp... I have no doubt it will do the job for you however I'm not expert with graphic applications but I have to say it blows out of the socks my old CRT sorry to say :D

sifulee said:
Very sweet man, congrats! I'm coming from a crt too and I'm loving every thing about this monitor. Would you agree that it has the BEST image quality you've ever seen compared to current LCD's? Also what setting are you playing your games at? I play everything at 1680x1050 with the monitor set to "Movie" @ 1600:1, contrast 60%, brightness 100%. Try this setting, Its looks absolutely amazing!!! :eek: :eek:

I'll give it a shot man... :D this is so sweet... also excuse the nOOb question to set it up to 1600:1 it's at video card level correct?

cyrk said:

I've used it with Corel photoshop. With the monitor set to 'Photos', pictures really come alive. I mean almost like it's in 3D. The 'photo' mode really brings the colors out and makes photes look more natural. As far as text goes (word, excel) it looks amazing. I set the monitor to 'Text' mode and it's turns the brightness down a little and really brings out text making it very shard and ledgible while not hurting your eyes. I use the vga and dvi slots (I'm have 2 computer and a kvm switch). The DVI mode definetly looks sharper but the VGA still looks very impressive. Cool thing about this display is that it remember each setting for each input! :D

xXxDieselxXx said:
I'll give it a shot man... :D this is so sweet... also excuse the nOOb question to set it up to 1600:1 it's at video card level correct?

Hey, I'm not at home right now but if you look at the remote, it's the top botton right next to "TV".

Question about the different MODES.

eg.
I am surfing the net and I want the brightness to be down a bit, but on the right corner, I have a PIP with a movie running and I want it to be a bit brighter. Will the MODES allow for 2 separate modes to be displayed in the full screen and in the PIP simultaneously?

WickedWeasel said:
Question about the different MODES.

eg.
I am surfing the net and I want the brightness to be down a bit, but on the right corner, I have a PIP with a movie running and I want it to be a bit brighter. Will the MODES allow for 2 separate modes to be displayed in the full screen and in the PIP simultaneously?

YES you can do just that with this monitor. First adjust the settings (contrast, brightness, etc) for video input you're currently on. Next turn on PIP and select your video input (TV, video 2, etc). Then simply press swap to changes the mode settings for the PIP source. Once your done, just swap back and boom there ya go! :D

FYI:

As I mentioned before, this monitor remembers the settings for each vidoe input. It also remember custom setting for each DV Mode (Standard, Text, Movie, Gaming and Photo).

Eg. Lets say for Movie, you turn on Advanced DV Mode (A-DV) but for Photo you have it off. The monitor will remember that its on for 'Movie' but off for Photo.

Btw... Advanced DV Mode (A-DV) = 1600:1 contrast ratio.

this monitor does not have hdmi

it has dvi and the US version (wmgx) is hdcp compliant

Back