New MSI motherboard can't overclock as high as the previous one. Am I doing something wrong?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So, very strange that the highest I can go to is 3.765 GHz when previously I could go to 4 easily but in the BIOS it is not letting me set the base clock higher than 171.08. As soon as I hit 172 the Adjusted CPU frequency jumps back down to 3300 or 3600 (can't remember). Core voltage is set to 1.25 at the moment and it's stable at 3765 MHz, but I keep wondering if there is a setting I am missing somewhere.

u9tSbMi.jpg

Last edited:
So, very strange that the highest I can go to is 3.765 GHz when previously I could go to 4 easily but in the BIOS it is not letting me set the base clock higher than 171.08. As soon as I hit 172 the Adjusted CPU frequency jumps back down to 3300 or 3600 (can't remember). Core voltage is set to 1.25 at the moment and it's stable at 3765 MHz, but I keep wondering if there is a setting I am missing somewhere.

Are you using the CPU from your sig or something else? I run my 5820 at 125Mhz x 36 @1.3V and it's been running perfectly like that for almost 2 years. Are you leaving the multiplier at stock and just upping the base clock?

Are you using the CPU from your sig or something else? I run my 5820 at 125Mhz x 36 @1.3V and it's been running perfectly like that for almost 2 years. Are you leaving the multiplier at stock and just upping the base clock?

Yes the same CPU in my SIG. The only values i've been changing is the voltage and the base clock.

So I adjusted the ratios and now I am getting above 4 GHz. Only it won't stay stable. Voltage won't go higher than 1.25 and I can't get it to post. Can't even get 3.9 to post. Can't even get 3.7 to post. Only frequency I can get to be stable is stock.

My next question is whether there is any difference between keeping the base clock lower or at the default or if I should increase that too. Will it always run at the base clock if I keep it high? If so is that bad in the long run?

Last edited:
So I am getting a couple responses from people on Reddit that the motherboard I got could be defective and that I should return it. Could that be the case?

Just to summarize:

I was getting a stable 4GHz on my MSI X99a SLI Plus motherboard with a i7-5820k with no problem. However, the other day I fucked my motherboard up so I had to buy a new one. Slightly different; it's the MSI X99a SLI Krait Edition. No matter what voltage, CPU Ratio/multipler I use it won't post. The only thing I got to post (other than stock) was setting the Base Frequency to around 3.7Ghz without touching the multiplier and upping the voltage to around 1.2.

When I restore defaults, keep Base Frequency stock, but up the multiplier to 4GHz or actually anything other than stock it won't post.

Don't know why this is happening. The Core voltage won't go past 1.25 (If I put in 1.3 it shows as red and goes back down). It is really frustrating. I have an amazing CPU cooler; it's the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 and on my old system with the SLI Plus motherboard I was able to hit 4.2 GHz easily stable before I backed down to a conservative 4GHz...

With this Motherboard I am just not sure why nothing I change will post except the Base Frequency which only goes to around 3.7Ghz. Really hoping someone has some tips.

Here is a pic of the interface:

http://imgur.com/u9tSbMi

I've never seen anyone OC a 5820K like that before. Every OC guide I've seen keeps the base clock at 100 or 125Mhz (depending on your RAM), then you adjust your multipliers up for the OC. Maybe you can tweak the base clocks up and down a bit, but going up to 170Mhz is insane. Setting the ratio to AUTO and adjusting the base frequency like you're doing is likely driving the BIOS nuts trying to meet your request.

If it were me, I'd reset EVERYTHING back to stock settings in the BIOS, set the XMP profile for your memory, and then just adjust the multipliers and voltages up from there. Maybe try the built-in automatic OC features and see what settings it gives you.

Which OC guides have you read and used for your settings?

I've never seen anyone OC a 5820K like that before. Every OC guide I've seen keeps the base clock at 100 or 125Mhz (depending on your RAM), then you adjust your multipliers up for the OC. Maybe you can tweak the base clocks up and down a bit, but going up to 170Mhz is insane. Setting the ratio to AUTO and adjusting the base frequency like you're doing is likely driving the BIOS nuts trying to meet your request.

If it were me, I'd reset EVERYTHING back to stock settings in the BIOS, set the XMP profile for your memory, and then just adjust the multipliers and voltages up from there. Maybe try the built-in automatic OC features and see what settings it gives you.

I have done this before so I haven't read any guides; I was basically just doing what i've done before. I did do what you said which is to reset everything to defaults and try the multiplier increase with voltage increases and I still can't post. What is the XMP profile?

I have done this before so I haven't read any guides; I was basically just doing what i've done before. I did do what you said which is to reset everything to defaults and try the multiplier increase with voltage increases and I still can't post. What is the XMP profile?

The XMP profile will set your memory to it's max rated speed. That'll also set the base clock to either 100 or 125Mhz, depending on your memory. Then bump the voltage up to ~1.3V and start raising the multiplier. Most people don't OC with the base clock, it's tied to too many other things (PCI lanes, etc), so it's very unstable.

I'd search online and read a few guides before you go any further. You're going to want to get some base knowledge on the tools for OC'ing Haswell before you go any further. There's a couple of great guides on YouTube.

You should be able to get to at least 4.2Ghz, probably 4.4Ghz stable. That's the typical OC I've seen for the 5820k, regardless of motherboard. But you need to know which settings to adjust and which to leave alone.

The XMP profile will set your memory to it's max rated speed. That'll also set the base clock to either 100 or 125Mhz, depending on your memory. Then bump the voltage up to ~1.3V and start raising the multiplier. Most people don't OC with the base clock, it's tied to too many other things (PCI lanes, etc), so it's very unstable.

I'd search online and read a few guides before you go any further. You're going to want to get some base knowledge on the tools for OC'ing Haswell before you go any further. There's a couple of great guides on YouTube.

You should be able to get to at least 4.2Ghz, probably 4.4Ghz stable. That's the typical OC I've seen for the 5820k, regardless of motherboard. But you need to know which settings to adjust and which to leave alone.

I will definitely look some guides up in that case. Do you know of any off-hand that could be helpful?

Btw, some of the guides I am finding keep listing Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for overclocking Haswell. Is there any pro and/or con to overclocking with software as opposed to the BIOS directly?

Thanks very much for responding btw; this has been driving me crazy and nobody seems to want to respond to me in any of the other places i've posted this.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/253484-5820k-x99-ultimate-overclocking-guide/

http://www.technologyx.com/featured/beginners-guide-overclocking-intel-x99/4/

Probably start there...also check for MSI's forums for the X99, they might have some MSI specific tips, AFTER you get the basics down.

I want to thank you for helping me. I got everything to work now. I am getting a stable 4.2GHz at 1.210v. When I run prime95 it peaks at 90 degrees Celsius. Is that too high? Also, is it bad to leave the CPU ratio mode to Fixed instead of Dynamic? A lot of the guides you directed me towards suggested to leave it in fixed mode which HW Monitor shows the CPU running at a constant 4.2 instead of ramping down. Is that bad over the long-term?

Thanks.

I want to thank you for helping me. I got everything to work now. I am getting a stable 4.2GHz at 1.210v. When I run prime95 it peaks at 90 degrees Celsius. Is that too high? Also, is it bad to leave the CPU ratio mode to Fixed instead of Dynamic? A lot of the guides you directed me towards suggested to leave it in fixed mode which HW Monitor shows the CPU running at a constant 4.2 instead of ramping down. Is that bad over the long-term?

Thanks.

Ramping the CPU down when idle is a VERY good idea. Otherwise you're going to be using a lot of power and generating a lot of unnecessary heat. Fixed might get you a BIT higher on the stable overclock, but I don't think it's worth it in the long term.

90C is pretty warm IMO. I'd see how high it gets during actual tasks, gaming, encoding, etc. I'd personally shoot for something no higher than 75C for day-to-day use.

Glad everything helped and you got it all working!

Are you using air cooling? 1.3 for me runs quite hot. Close to 90c. Strange because the air cooler that I have is one of the if not the best one on the market the be quiet dark rock pro 3. When I go to 1.250v the temp hovers around 83c which is still kinda hot. Lowering the volts starts to make the system unstable.

When you run prime95 or AIDA what are your temps like on full load?

Last edited:
Are you using air cooling? 1.3 for me runs quite hot. Close to 90c. Strange because the air cooler that I have is one of the if not the best one on the market the be quiet dark rock pro 3. When I go to 1.250v the temp hovers around 83c which is still kinda hot. Lowering the volts starts to make the system unstable.

When you run prime95 or AIDA what are your temps like on full load?

I'm on WC, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I idle at about 30C and hit 65-68C under full load with AIDA64. I haven't used Prime95 for a long time, so no idea how high that would take it.

Every CPU is a bit different, especially with the HEDT series. Everyone is comfortable with different voltages and temps too. I know my chip CAN go higher, I can pump it up another 100-200Mhz if I'm willing to really crank up the voltage. I'm pretty happy with around 4.3-4.4Ghz though, so I picked a target frequency, then played with the voltage..give it JUST enough to stay stable, then I backed down the frequency another 100Mhz. That's where I run day-to-day. I'll take a bit more stable and cooler over an extra 100Mhz any day.

I'm on WC, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I idle at about 30C and hit 65-68C under full load with AIDA64. I haven't used Prime95 for a long time, so no idea how high that would take it.

Every CPU is a bit different, especially with the HEDT series. Everyone is comfortable with different voltages and temps too. I know my chip CAN go higher, I can pump it up another 100-200Mhz if I'm willing to really crank up the voltage. I'm pretty happy with around 4.3-4.4Ghz though, so I picked a target frequency, then played with the voltage..give it JUST enough to stay stable, then I backed down the frequency another 100Mhz. That's where I run day-to-day. I'll take a bit more stable and cooler over an extra 100Mhz any day.

I think I am going to order a Corsair H100 this week. I have never used water-cooling before but I would love to get more performance out of this CPU without worrying so much about temps.

I think I am going to order a Corsair H100 this week. I have never used water-cooling before but I would love to get more performance out of this CPU without worrying so much about temps.

The newer AIOs are pretty good from what I've seen. Especially if you have room for push/pull fans.

I'm in the same boat. I went from an ASRock B350 board to an MSI X370 board. On the ASRock motherboard, my Ryzen 5 1600 was getting 3.8GHz at 1.375V, maxing out at 77C on Prime95, and I was pretty excited about that cuz I actually like the stock air cooler. On the MSI, it takes 1.4V just to get 3.7GHz. I let Prime95 run for an hour and it tapped 92C a few times. It just doesn't make sense. How can a $100 motherboard be sooooo much better at overclocking than a $180 motherboard? I mean, that's a pretty big difference.

Back