New MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3 PCB

Looks like he got a poorly made one.

I don't understand why you're defending them. They have proven time and time again to have crappy business practices. Give your money to the companies that take care of their customers. The Heatkiller block performs better then the EK, looks better then the EK, and doesn't have EKs crap track record. The Aquacompter block is damn near as good as the HK, and still outperforms the EK. For damn near the same price.

Why roll the dice when you can just buy something quality for the same amount of dough?

Well, card #2 doesn't OC nearly as well as I hoped. This one doesn't like more than 1150MHz on the core.

Go figure, this one has coil whine too, although it's even higher pitched than the last one (so I don't notice it most of the time...).

Amazon won't let me return the first card with REALLY bad coil whine because my dumb ass cut out the UPC before testing the card, but they will let me exchange it for a new card. The only problem is they said that their lead time for getting another batch of cards in isn't untill 8/23 (a month from today).

Got another card in today (exchange for the uber coil-whiney card #1). This one has an ASIC value of 89.1, and a stock voltage of 1.131 (the others were .993v). Max OC on this one is 1150 at 1.15V.

Interestingly enough all three cards have coil whine. Card 1 was ridiculously annoying, card 2 was only noticeable part of the time (wasn't really an issue, but not preferred), and card 3 you really need to be actively trying to hear it in order to do so (pretty much as good as not having any at all).

Looks like I might try to acquire some 7970s now... haha

Got another card in today (exchange for the uber coil-whiney card #1). This one has an ASIC value of 89.1, and a stock voltage of 1.131 (the others were .993v). Max OC on this one is 1150 at 1.15V.

Interestingly enough all three cards have coil whine. Card 1 was ridiculously annoying, card 2 was only noticeable part of the time (wasn't really an issue, but not preferred), and card 3 you really need to be actively trying to hear it in order to do so (pretty much as good as not having any at all).

Looks like I might try to acquire some 7970s now... haha

Too bad you are not having any luck with them. I was hoping to see some benchamarks and screen shots of furmark screen shots from your cards before and after the blocks.

Tiny update, installed my water cooling, but still have a bit more modding to do to put my hard drives back in my case. I should finish up tomorrow, but it will probably be a day more or so till I get back with gpu overclocking numbers.

Mini test: 1100mhz full compute load: 40C. Not bad at all. Idles in the low 30's.

However my CPU temps are higher than expected, I probably need to fix the TIM.

Well, I flashed the sapphire bios that SonDa5 posted onto my cards and it works well Might as well have higher stock clocks. I also picked up a couple of XSPC razer 7970 blocks for these cards. Sadly I ordered the wrong size sli connector so I'm only running a single card at the moment. The block works well but I wish that I had sprung for a block that actively cooled the vrms too.

Well, I flashed the sapphire bios that SonDa5 posted onto my cards and it works well Might as well have higher stock clocks. I also picked up a couple of XSPC razer 7970 blocks for these cards. Sadly I ordered the wrong size sli connector so I'm only running a single card at the moment. The block works well but I wish that I had sprung for a block that actively cooled the vrms too.

this is just clocks right, and not shader increases too?

I am looking at one or two of these.....and would also be looking to go water with them

No shader increase. I also tried a full 7970 bios and it didn't effect the shader count.

Just as a mini update to the power/cooling.
At 900MHz at 920mv, my total computer powerdraw while bitcoin mining is 250 Watts. I can do ~460 Mhash/s.
At 1100MHz at 1050mv, the power draw is 350 Watts. I can do ~560Mhash/s.

Here are some cooling numbers, but they are semi-accurate, as my ambient temp fluctuates noticeably, (Windows ac unit, hot summer). I'm !guessing! that my ambient temp is ~80F (27C).

Load temps at 900MHz are ~67C, with the fan on auto (~59%).
Load temps at 1100MHZ are ~78C, with the fan on auto (~79%). Noise starts to be noticeable.

Thanks for publishing this information!

I've just acquired a Gigabyte Windforce 7950, and I'm testing out its overclocking abilities. This information helped me to zero in on my card's abilities more quickly. I'm running Diablo 3 right now (driving 3 monitors at 5292x1050) with the card at 1100MHz and core voltage of 1149mV (MSI Afterburner is reporting 99% GPU usage, and a GPU temp of 69 degrees using auto fan setting: the fan is spinning at 56%, which is really quite quiet with the Windforce cooler. I've also opened up the side of case to keep it this cool - it's a shitty case I've got right now!)

The memory is only at 1275 (vs. 1250 stock), but I'm really just focusing on figuring out the minimum voltage necessary to maintain a stable 1100MHz core clock right now (memory overclock later). So far, 1149mV is sufficient to run this 7950 at 1100MHz, which is perfectly fine for me, as I don't have adequate cooling with this case to go much higher right now (I'd rather not go over 70 degrees). I'm going to lower the voltage slightly more and see if it stays stable, but I'm betting this is pretty close to he limit right now.

Last edited:
http://www.swiftech.com/MountingKitMCW82-7900.aspx

If I was going full block for the HD7970/HD7950 I would not get the XSPC. It is poorly designed.

If you want to save money and get a decent full cover block I would look at these.

1st choice for the cheap but good is the new EK:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...-FC7970_-_Acetal_CSQ.html?tl=g30c87s143#blank

And how exactly is it "poorly designed" ? Because it's an XSPC and is cheap?

Also, your 1st choice is EK? For a "No, that's shit, you should get this. I know better than you do." you're absolutely clueless about waterblocks.

EK blocks, ESPECIALLY the Nickel plated ones are worse than Nickelback... they're SHIT. They corrode or oxidate in no time like it's nobody's business, and take out whatever else is in the loop together w/ them. :rolleyes:

Also, people have called you out on your BS on TPU before. You're pretty E-famous for spouting out nonsense.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but what needs to be said needs to be said. People check out these thread to get informed.

And how exactly is it "poorly designed" ? Because it's an XSPC and is cheap?

Because it does an awful job with the vrms. Its just an aluminum sink with no fins that passively cools the vrms. I couldn't push 1100mv without the vrm temps getting uncomfortably hot. I would be willing to bet that those little enzotech sinks do a better job.

That block is a massive pos and everyone should avoid it. I will never buy another xspc fullcover since I felt that I got burned so badly on the two that I bought. I ripped that pos off within a day.

Dude that EK block that he linked is fine. There is no nickel plating at all to worry about. For the price its a damn good option. I'm sure that it would have been far less headache than my current Koolance 7970 blocks.

Because it does an awful job with the vrms. Its just an aluminum sink with no fins that passively cools the vrms. I couldn't push 1100mv without the vrm temps getting uncomfortably hot. I would be willing to bet that those little enzotech sinks do a better job.

That block is a massive pos and everyone should avoid it. I will never buy another xspc fullcover since I felt that I got burned so badly on the two that I bought. I ripped that pos off within a day.

lol. Yeah, got your point.

Those "little" Enzotech sinks are actually more effective than you think they're, they can keep the VRM pretty cool with active airflow going over them. I love them, and put them on everywhere. Boards, cards, even the back of some PCB's...

Dude that EK block that he linked is fine. There is no nickel plating at all to worry about. For the price its a damn good option. I'm sure that it would have been far less headache than my current Koolance 7970 blocks.

No single EK block is fine at this rate. Even the non-Nickelback ones :p consistantly OXIDATE or just give inferior performance...

anybody should stay away from ANYTHING EK at this point period. Their products are made out of some really low quality or QC.

I'd much rather take the XSPC block with the high VRM temps over an oxidating EK block... no Nickelback effect to say at the very least. :p :D

lol. Yeah, got your point.

Those "little" Enzotech sinks are actually more effective than you think they're, they can keep the VRM pretty cool with active airflow going over them. I love them, and put them on everywhere. Boards, cards, even the back of some PCB's...

I've been using those heatsinks for years. I know that they do a good job. Still not on par with a large solid heatsink or waterblock.

No single EK block is fine at this rate. Even the non-Nickelback ones :p consistantly OXIDATE or just give inferior performance...

Yes, copper oxidizes. There is nothing that you can do about it.

From what I've heard performance is decent on their blocks.

I'd much rather take the XSPC block with the high VRM temps over an oxidating EK block... no Nickelback effect to say at the very least. :p :D

Thats because you don't know what you're talking about. :)

You bumped a five month old thread just to start an argument. Just quit while you're ahead.

Thats because you don't know what you're talking about. :)

You bumped a five month old thread just to start an argument. Just quit while you're ahead.

Not me... you. I didn't bump a five month old thread just to start an argument, I bumped it because the moron was suggesting fucking EK blocks.

I don't know what I'm talking about? Where have you been in the past 2 years? EK blocks are fucking pieces of shit. And I repeat, I'd much rather take the high VRM temped XSPC over ANY EK period.

Why are you complaining about copper oxidization? It's not corrosive like rust on iron. If it was the Statue of Liberty wouldn't exist anymore.

Why are you complaining about copper oxidization? It's not corrosive like rust on iron. If it was the Statue of Liberty wouldn't exist anymore.

Because he is a troll, look at his post history. I wonder how many banned accounts he has.

Because he is a troll, look at his post history. I wonder how many banned accounts he has.

Post history? Haha. LOL. Good one.

None, actually. I only had a SINGLE, ONE point infraction here that was given by Kyle for calling the guy "Your_mom", "your mom". lol.

And it went away ages ago.

I once managed to get banned from JGuru though. lol. I think getting banned from JGuru by far exceed and completely excels getting banned from any other tech site... :D

I only know of 3 guys (besides myself) since 2009 that were banned from JonnyGuru.

It wasn't a perm ban though, a 3 month ban because no matter what they did, I didn't let them get through me on a PSU arguement.

I love how you call me a troll for speaking AGAINST EK when there's a thread, just on the previous page, showing a completely fuxored EK block.

EK blocks blow period. They're made with some extremely low QC and, in the past 2 years, have just keeping on either oxidating, corroding or providing inferior performance.

If you did your research, answers to these would have been readily apperant. :rolleyes:

It still doesn't change the fact of EK WC HW being shitty. ;)

But it does make you seem like you don't know what you're talking about and thus takes away from your argument. "Oxidate" and "nickelback" aren't helping you either...

Looks like MSI went back to the 7950 pcb. There are a couple of reports on OCN from people receiving them from Newegg.

Pretty much kills the point of buying this model since the cooler is awful.

Looks like MSI went back to the 7950 pcb. There are a couple of reports on OCN from people receiving them from Newegg.

They can still be water cooled but not with reference HD7970 water blocks.

How did the XSPC block perform for you? GPU temps? VRM temps? I'm thinking about getting one.... :D Not he new one but the old one. The one like you had.

The gpu temps were fine but the vrm temps are horrific on the xspc block. I didn't feel comfortable pushing much over 1.1v since the vrms got so hot.

Sooo anyone want to buy a Aqua Computer 7950 waterblock? :D

That is odd.

Was the VRM bock pieces made of aluminum or plastic?

XSPC states it is aluminum.

I'm just trying to figure out if you may have gotten a black market block.

Aluminum with contact to the water cooled copper block seems like it would cool better than the stock heat sink on the TF3 HD7950. Any change that proper contact wasn't being made?

XSPC has made a revised HD7950 block and it looks very similar.

Last edited:
I had two so unless I got two bad blocks...

Look at the pictures its plated aluminum with no fins. Just a solid piece of aluminum and I'm sure that the plating doesn't help. Of course the stock heatsink with fins and active cooling is going to do better.

Go ahead and buy one if you don't believe me.

I had two so unless I got two bad blocks...

Look at the pictures its plated aluminum with no fins. Just a solid piece of aluminum and I'm sure that the plating doesn't help. Of course the stock heatsink with fins and active cooling is going to do better.

Go ahead and buy one if you don't believe me.

I believe you but I'm still thinking about getting one.

I think the Aluminum VRM blocks will come off and then it would work for just GPU and RAM and then use stock heat sink on the VRMS.

I don't have alot of choices.

I can go with a Swiftech MCW82-7900 for around $60, Find a used XSPC HD7970 for cheap, Or get the newest edition of the RAZOR XSPC which has better fin design on the copper block over the gpu for about $100.

Trying to figure out the best way to water cool a Sapphire vapor X that I have on order.

Thanks.

Picked up two of these from tiger direct recently and found they overclock great! At 1.2v or less I can mine bitcoin at 1240 mhz on core all day. I run fans at a fixed speed of about 80% and see 68-78c.

Im in the middle of attempting to run a second 7950 or even 7870 tahiti in second slot and even with both cards underclocked it seems to go into a thermal runaway that rises at a slow but steady rate over 5 minutes until it finally gives around 87c but I normally stop it around 80c. Thinking about doing "the mod" with a corsair h55 since I sold my custom water loop in favor of more gpus or maybe I'll just do pcie x16 riser cables and get them spread further apart but I'm really wanting to push them since I know they can do 1300 plus easily if temps were under control in crossfire.

Last edited:
Picked up two of these from tiger direct recently and found they overclock great! At 1.2v or less I can mine bitcoin at 1240 mhz on core all day. I run fans at a fixed speed of about 80% and see 68-78c.

Im in the middle of attempting to run a second 7950 or even 7870 tahiti in second slot and even with both cards underclocked it seems to go into a thermal runaway that rises at a slow but steady rate over 5 minutes until it finally gives around 87c but I normally stop it around 80c. Thinking about doing "the mod" with a corsair h55 since I sold my custom water loop in favor of more gpus or maybe I'll just do pcie x16 riser cables and get them spread further apart but I'm really wanting to push them since I know they can do 1300 plus easily if temps were under control in crossfire.

What are the ASIC scores on them?

Do you know what design the PCB is? I have read that MSI has updated the PCB on these on the newest models.

What part number are yours? Have you seen the PCB? Is the same PCB as start of thread?

Back