New MP3 player

Blackjack

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm torn. Looking for a new MP3 player to replace my now bricked 30gig 2nd generation dell dj. I originally loved the creative zen vision: M just because of all of its features. Im looking for the following in a player...

- At least 30 gigs worth of storage for music and videos (i cant go if i don't have everything)
- hardware controls for volume and others (no i-pod touch) (if not hardware at least somewhere that never changes and i can change from my pocket)
- Good sound quality
- Ability to play videos

Right now im looking at the 32 gig version of creatives zen: X-Fi
Here

Or their zen vision:W, or just a simple 80 gig ipod classic.

I would like the ability to play FM radio stations too w/o any additional equipment.

Thanks for the input!

30GB Zune, or 80 depending on how much you're willing to spend. Better sound quality than anything else out there (as noted by the many favorable reviews of the SQ of Zunes vs the competition over at HeadFi.org).

Check around places like fleaBay and Craig's List if they have listings in your area. You'd be amazed at how cheap you can get stuff these days. Pawnshops are nice to browse also if you have those in your area as well.

I never actually considered the zune, ill have to check over at bestbuy if i get any kind of discount/if we have any open box models there.

I have thew 80gb iPod classic, I absolutely love it. I wouldn't have bought any other MP3/Video player on the market as of now.

I use to really like the Creative Zen line, though I haven't checked out their new X-Fi. Right now I have a Zune and REALLY like it. I'd definitely check it out, if I were you. It has some shortcomings though. The biggest complaint I always hear is the actual PC software (speaking of which, right now their Zune software is only available on the Windows platform). The hardware and the firmware on the player are great though... in my opinion.

I use to really like the Creative Zen line, though I haven't checked out their new X-Fi. Right now I have a Zune and REALLY like it. I'd definitely check it out, if I were you. It has some shortcomings though. The biggest complaint I always hear is the actual PC software (speaking of which, right now their Zune software is only available on the Windows platform). The hardware and the firmware on the player are great though... in my opinion.

Is there any 3d party software that i can use? Also, im assuming the software will work on 64 bit vista right?

I'm not very sure about any third party software, but there is a Vista 64 version, of the Zune Software. At the very bottom left of this page they have a sentence and link that says: "If you have a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, download the 64-bit version of the Zune software. Not sure what version you have? Click here."

I'm running XP Pro (32bit), and haven't tried the Vista 64 software.

So my impulse buyer took over and i picked up the 80 gig zune today...i love it...

Congrats, now get some decent portable headphones for it (unless you prefer those earbuds that is). Koss PortaPros are very well respected as some of the best portable headphones ever made, but some people just can't stand the way they look or fit on their head. If that's the case you could get some Koss KTX-1 which are more traditional headphones, or the Radio Shack Pro-35A (same thing as the KTX-1 just labeled for Radio Shack branding). There's also the Koss KSC-75 earclips, same drivers as the others and the sound quality will absolutely astonish you from the moment you press play.

The old adage "Hear what you've been missing..." applies to all of 'em as they'll bring out details that using earbuds like the basic ones that come with the Zunes simply can't muster.

I will have to look at those, is there a way to convert quicktime movies to view on the zune?

Congrats on the Zune, I have an 8 gig Flash and it's sweet, now I just need to get an 80 gig...

One recommendation - get the Zune Pass. I finally broke down and got it, and it's AWESOME. I've been going nuts downloading music.

So my impulse buyer took over and i picked up the 80 gig zune today...i love it...

Congrats on the purchase! To go along with the other suggestions (the headphone, video converting software, etc.), I'll provide a tip to get better battery life. I'm pretty sure in the little "manual" that comes with the Zune it simply says to press and hold the play/pause button to turn off your Zune.

However, if you dig around on the Zune website it mentions that that doesn't completely shut off the unit. It basically puts it to sleep. You'll notice this when you turn off the player (using the play/pause button), and then press any other button (the back button or any direction on the Zune pad). It will turn right back on. If you plan to put your mp3 player away for a while, and not use it, press and hold the back button and the down button, on the touch pad, and after about 2 seconds the unit shuts off completely.

I’ve seen quite a few people make threads (on other boards), complaining that they shut their Zune off, let it sit for a few days, come back to turn it on, and notice their battery level is lower then it was when they shut it off. I think if you put it to sleep, and leave it long enough, it eventually shuts off completely, but it’s using battery life during that period it’s still not completely off.

I think the newer itouch's might be a possibility... I bought a used one last week 8 gb for $150.00

I think the newer itouch's might be a possibility... I bought a used one last week 8 gb for $150.00

Well based on what the OP said in the OP:

- At least 30 gigs worth of storage for music and videos (i cant go if i don't have everything)
- hardware controls for volume and others (no i-pod touch) (if not hardware at least somewhere that never changes and i can change from my pocket)
- Good sound quality
- Ability to play videos

The iPod Touches aren't. :p

Yes, the 32GB model is a possibility but but but... my god, the price... $500... the hell with that, I'd buy a laptop for that much. :D

Yea i actually had the 16 gig touch a while back, i returned it after a week, it was a nice concept, i loved the touch controls, but the lack of a hardware volume and track change really did kill me, plus, Im not a big fan of itunes.

Yea i actually had the 16 gig touch a while back, i returned it after a week, it was a nice concept, i loved the touch controls, but the lack of a hardware volume and track change really did kill me, plus, Im not a big fan of itunes.

yeah, im thinking about the same thing. Dad offered to buy me one as a graduation present, its a great video player, but many have told me its impossible to work with when its in your pocket. You found that really to be true eh? A music player for the playlist types only?

Too bad.

I'm in the same predicament; Thinking about the zune. Amazon and Napster both now offer 256kb/s DRM free music right? I know for a fact amazon MP3 isn't available in canada, I tried a few weeks ago, but how about the napster service? If it does work in canada, which would be the best MP3 player to tie into that system? I've been a music downloader and moocher for years now. I plan to go blow about $200 on CDs in the next week or so, but I really like the online stratagy.

ahh true i guess i did not see that 30 gigs is a requirment.. what about just one of the plain simple old 30 gb ipods.. they are so inexpensive right now

I bought my 80gb Zune 1.5 months ago. I was using mine for a while and then it froze up and died. Exchanged it for a new one at Best Buy and am loving it. One thing that kinda annoys me though is that my battery meter isn't correct. Sometimes it'll die when it says there is half life battery left. Looked up how to recalibrate it(on their website) and it doesn't do jack. So I never know when my Zune is gonna die :( What's also cool about the Zune is that thanks to the XNA 3.0 dev kit, you can program games for your Zune using Visual C# or something. Neato, right?

Back