New Moto X is official

Expensive...

:confused:

Isn't the Droid Maxx series better? Its basically a Droid branded Moto X with a bigger battery, screen etc. It doesn't have bloatware, and Verizon shockingly updates it just as frequently.

Yes and no. Last year it was better if you didn't mind a bigger phone (4.7" Moto X vs 5" Droid Ultra/Maxx) and on a couple updates is lagged behind the Moto X for a month or so, but I think it got 4.4.4 before the Moto X too by a couple weeks. It had a much larger battery though; 2200 mAh vs 3500 mAh. It definitely had plenty of bloatware too, I don't think any Verizon phone escapes their bloatware outside of the iPhone. I know my mom's Moto X has plenty of Verizon bloat on it.

I'll still most likely be getting the Moto X 2014. I'm not a heavy phone user and it stays plugged in when I'm not using it. Battery life has never really been a concern of mine.

Got to hold one this weekend and the ATT store. Pretty nice device. I felt that the screen colors were saturated (coming from IPS) and I was surprised how much you feel the metal band around the phone. At the sides it is pretty thin, so you really feel it in the palm of your hand and at your fingers.It wasn't painful, but there was a very pronounced edge to it I was not expecting.

It felt like a very solid device and the size was very reasonable compared to my N4. I suppose this one is still on the table, but I will have to wait till October to see the full offering of phones this quarter before I decide.

Motorola updated Android to 4.4.4 on my unlocked 2013 Moto X .

Last edited:
Isn't the Droid Maxx series better? Its basically a Droid branded Moto X with a bigger battery, screen etc. It doesn't have bloatware, and Verizon shockingly updates it just as frequently.

Its updated frequently simply because the internals are the exact same as the Moto X. The code base differences are minimal.

I'm afraid this will change with the new Droid Turbo since it is based on a completely different SoC. (SD 805)

Back