new motherboard decision

BERN75

n00b
Looking for a new motherboard for 12th Gen I5 can't decide between the MSI mag B660m, gigabyte B660M aorus pro, or the asus tuf b660m all Matx running a gigabyte 3060 just wanted to hear some things about these boards that I haven't found out

I've personally used both ddr4 and ddr5 variants of the MSI, it's a nice board. I'm sure the other two are as well but I don't have firsthand experience with them.

Not much to say, it's got plenty of ports and features.

Looks like you picked some very good boards there so it's really up to you at this point. I've used Aorus/Gigabyte boards for over twenty years while using the occasional other brands, but recently went with an MSI board that I'm happy with. Just make sure whatever board you choose has been kept up to date on the bios by the manufacturer and you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of the MSI BIOS UI. It's easy to use (across all platforms) and things are arranged in a logical manner. Been like that for a while, too - roughly 12-15'ish years. Whenever I'm putting together a new build, I default to whatever MSI's midrange "typical consumer" board is. The ones in the $175-250 range. That has served me well across 4 builds in a row.

I got the ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI Socket LGA 1700 USB 3.2 Intel Mobo but it was difficult to find.

Reactions: pavel
like this
I have been very happy with my MSI MAG B660M Mortar mobo since I put together my Alder Lake system in January. Like the coolers on the M.2 SSD slots and beefy VRMs.

It is my first MSI mobo after my previous two builds were ASRock and Asus.

MSI will supposedly release a B660 DDR4 board with a clock generator so you can overclock the non-k cpus. Might be something you would be interested in.
Not sure when it will release or the price yet. Article was on wccftech with pics. Note that they mention the MAG B660M Mortar board in the title, but the board with clock gen will be MAG B660M Mortar MAX. Full name is supposed to be MSI MAG B660M Mortar MAX WIFI DDR4. Just letting people know so they don't rush to get a non MAX board since those do not have the clock gen. wccftech is sometimes sloppy on details.
https://wccftech.com/msi-demonstrat...0m-mortar-motherboard-features-new-oc-engine/

Back