New motherboard, bent pins (cpu socket)

Vaske

n00b
Hello

So I have the new Asus Strix Extreme mobo with a skylake 6700k, the pins on the motherboard are bent, and they managed to make a scratch on two of the copper electricity receivers (on the cpu, not the core in the middle).

I am thinking the cpu might still work as long as the copper receivers still make contact with a working mobo. The mobo pins are bent and I need to replace it, so I am wondering if the CPU actualy is damaged and let's say I get a new mobo, can the damaged cpu damage the new mobo ?

If there is enough resistance on the small copper dots (receivers) where each of the cpu socket pins on the mobo connects to the cpu, then it should in theory work.

Also, what is the odds the cpu is still working ? Will I suffer performance loss even there is less resistance on two of the elctricity receivers ?

I have never heard of a CPU damaging a motherboard but I don't know it may be possible. A couple niggles...The "receivers" are referred to as contacts and the resistance would hypothetically be increased not "decreased". The contacts and the pins are both gold and the scratch will likely not make a difference. That said its impossible to say with any certainty without at least some pictures. I'd RMA them both if you can. Did you buy them used?

How bent are they? I have had good luck with bending pins back recently. It's worth a shot.

try bending them back if not. it should be fine my main rig is missing ~5 pins and has more bent and still works flawlessly. it is most likly a redundent +12v or ground pin. if not the next most common is a lost mem channel

They test mobos before packing them. If pins are bent, then they'd fail the test.

It's easy to bend socket pins by not putting the CPU in properly. Even if its just a bit out or slightly dropped onto the socket, there's a fair chance of bending pins.

I gather you noticed the pins were bent after you had installed the CPU.

You can still do a non-warranty RMA. I've bent pins and paid the repair (replace the socket) plus shipping costs. It's just annoying how much time it can take. The $ cost isn't that bad.

I fad a few bent pins and was able to bend them back. Motherboard/CPU worked perfect after that.

Last edited:
Back