New motherboard, bent pins (cpu socket)

Vaske

n00b
Hello

So I have the new Asus Strix Extreme mobo with a skylake 6700k, the pins on the motherboard are bent, and they managed to make a scratch on two of the copper electricity receivers (not the core in the middle).

I am thinking the cpu might still work as long as the copper receivers still make contact with a working mobo. The mobo pins are bent and I need to replace it, so I am wondering if the CPU actualy is damaged and let's say I get a new mobo, can the damaged cpu damage the new mobo ?

If there is enough resistance on the small copper dots (receivers) where each of the cpu socket pins on the mobo connects to the cpu, then it should in theory work.

If you have nothing to lose, you can try straightening out the bent pins by using a mechanical pencil.

Can't answer your other question though on both the copper electricity receivers (maybe you can show us a picture?) as well as if a damaged CPU can damage a new board. Maybe some of the other people here can answer or have experience on this..

yeah wrong section, thought I clicked on the motherboard section. the pins are almost impossible to aline, the 1151 pins atleast are not linear, they are in a fixed possition and they are so fucking small I can barely see them with my eyes, even using a magnifying glass is difficult

I feel your pain

I recently did this to myself.

I was doing a mobo swap from an Asus Rampage V Extreme to the RVE V10 Edition and I dropped a screwdriver and it landed right smack dab in the uncovered (my fault) CPU socket of the new board.

It bent a couple of the tiny pins. There was no was i was going to risk a 1700 dollar CPU in there so into the trash it went. Spent 600 bucks on another mobo and was very careful this time!

Back