New Motherboard and old video card are not playing nice

M

MrSmegzabush

I just purchased a Celeron 2.5ghz 512DDR PC2100 and an ECS L4VXA2 VIA P4 board W/ all the 800mhz fsb stuff, so its relativly new and decent. So what i do is get the thing ready to go and and I realize I can not put my old Voodoo3 AGP card in there cause it wont fit because the "crossmember" or "Gap" in the middle of the AGP slot is more towards the front of the case than the back on my board and is opposite on my card. So I bust out my old Diamond TNT2 card and an 8500 I have and they both fit because they have the "Gaps" in both front and back. The 8500 works fine but i get video card beep errors when I plug the TNT2 and the monitor recieves no signal. I know the card works because i plugged it back into the Celron400 machine it came from and it worked like a charm once again. Tell me why this is happening since all i really need in this machine is the TNT, but at some point did AGP become not backwards compatable???

Illustration of the "Gaps" in the slots I was talking about of how the teeth line up in boards. I'll post pics later when I get my host working.

[-----------------|------] <- ECS Board
[--------|---------------] <- Voodoo
[--------|--------|------] <- TNT2 and 8500

CELERON OMG NOOOOO!!!!!!!

(did you see the benchmarks of the 2.6 ghz celerons with 533 bus against fucking Duron 1.6 ghz? THE CELERONS SUCK WORST THAN THE DURON 1.6ghz!!!!)

The old voodoo3 is AGP-2x, which I think was running on 3.3volts. Modern AGP cards only need 1.5 volts, and while boards supported both for a while they have now evolved to only support 1.5v. If the 8500 is spare stick that one in, it should be way better than the voodoo.

well lets just say I got 2 ECS Boards, 2 Procs, and 2 512 DDR sticks for 220 bucks total, cant beat that with a stick. Celeron is not my first choice but yet, thats why these are only back up machines.

Originally posted by MrSmegzabush
well lets just say I got 2 ECS Boards, 2 Procs, and 2 512 DDR sticks for 220 bucks total, cant beat that with a stick. Celeron is not my first choice but yet, thats why these are only back up machines.

Dam good deal, Get um folding!

Back