New monitors that still have RCA inputs?

rbarr110

Limp Gawd
My son heads off to college in a few weeks and his PC monitor needs to be replaced. In an attempt to limit what he hauls into a dorm, I want to get a new monitor that alos has RCA inputs for his "retro" consoles he wants to take.

He was using an old tube TV but it is huge and no way should be moved into a dorm room. Anyone know of any options, I ma having trouble finding any monitors that still have those inputs.

Thanks

Wow...I cant believe I didn't even think of looking for an adapter.... thanks!

Don't get a shitty adapter like that. They have massive input lag and terrible picture quality.

Go for an XRGB Framemeister or OSSC so you can use RGB and Component, or at least s-video. OSSC is the most customizeable and has zero lag, but it might be on backorder. It's also RGB and Component only, no s-video or composite.

Get a decent quality TV.

If you look at specs and reviews you can find some that work just fine as a monitor - and have the rca jacks.

Look for Chroma 444 and all that rot.

If you look at specs and reviews you can find some that work just fine as a monitor - and have the rca jacks.

A few problems with that:

1) High input lag, usually. Even in game mode
2) Only composite and component support. No s-video or RGB. You can transcode RGB to component but not all TV's support 240p over component.
3)Poor image quality because too many TV's treat 240p like 480i (they try to de-interlace it).

With some effort and a willingness to read many reviews those can be overcome.

Across 2 computers I have 4 TV's as monitors.

It isnt perfect. It is good enough to keep me happy.

It took a while though to find a Chroma 444, low input lag, with the size and characteristics I liked. Not months or years though.

A 'Real' monitor does have a sharper image - for gaming I dont see a difference in productivity I just zoom a little and with 4k everything is fine.

Don't get a shitty adapter like that. They have massive input lag and terrible picture quality.

Go for an XRGB Framemeister or OSSC so you can use RGB and Component, or at least s-video. OSSC is the most customizeable and has zero lag, but it might be on backorder. It's also RGB and Component only, no s-video or composite.

Damn, I love my kid and all, but not enough to buy $200-$400 for a converter for him to play old video games when he should be doing homework/studying.

Damn, I love my kid and all, but not enough to buy $200-$400 for a converter for him to play old video games when he should be doing homework/studying.

Yeah, retro games (and regular games, weed, parties, etc.) fucked my studying in college.

On the other hand, the though of somebody trying to play Contra on a laggy HDTV or converter, then concluding that "it sucks" really bothers me. Buy him a 13" CRT to keep on a bookshelf

Yeah the last monitor I've had with analogue inputs is the Dell U2410. It got both component and composite inputs. Anything newer than that has been digital only.

Yeah the last monitor I've had with analogue inputs is the Dell U2410. It got both component and composite inputs. Anything newer than that has been digital only.
Same, mine is of similar vintage, and I keep it around to support my SNES. Almost any decent monitor of more recent manufacture lack analog inputs.

Then buy him a raspberry pi 3 and some retro usb controllers. Problem solved. HDMI out works on anything.

Last edited:
I picked this 32" monitor up for my secondary display at my office and it has a beautiful picture and 3 connections (vga, hdmi, and dvi). Paid $190 with free shipping from Monoprice on sale a few weeks ago.

VIOTEK 32" LED Computer Monitor -1920x1080 Full HD, VGA DVI & HDMI, Model H320

Back