New Monitor Suggestions 1440p 144hz

Faction

The Chairman
I currently have a 290x and am looking for a new monitor to replace my Dell u2711. I have seen quite a few 1080p 27" screens but it doesn't make much sense to go down in resolution just to get a higher response rate.

So with that said I'm looking at the BenQ XL2730Z. Price is a bit much for a TN but i'm not seeing anything better out there.

Anything I should be waiting for or looking at before I make a purchase?

The Asus MG279Q is about the same price as the BenQ but it is an IPS panel. It's freesync range doesn't go up to 144Hz like the BenQ, instead it maxes out at 90Hz but really since you are only running a 290x there's not many games you'd be able to play at high settings beyond 90fps anyway so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. According to the review by TFTCentral, Asus has fixed 144Hz working without frame skipping and has also overdrive working with freesync at the same time. It should be released very soon

You should at least wait until July 1. if you're going for the XL2730Z, Benq will be sending out the stock of working-overdrive-firmware ones in the end of june. Otherwise you'll have to ship them your monitor for a firmware update.

Asus MG279Q is coming out very soon. 35-90 freesync range, but IPS

If you want it any time soon, and isn't subject to performance limitations or recalls, the Acer XG270HU is the only real choice.

the Acer XG270HU seems poorly made, doesn't have any height adjustment or even the ability to mount but i'll take another look into it. That orange/red bezel is awful as well...

the Acer XG270HU seems poorly made, doesn't have any height adjustment or even the ability to mount but i'll take another look into it. That orange/red bezel is awful as well...

I just bought one yesterday since it's $449. No flaws or dead pixels. There will be VESA mount adapters for it next week.

The color, luckily I have orange keycaps and chroma mouse. :D

Everyone in this sub loves to hate on TN, but the ROG Swift is 20 kinds of awesome.

So i've narrowed it down to the Asus MG279Q and the BenQ XL2730Z.

I plan on keeping my U2711 for photo editing and such so I'm not sure if I really even need my second monitor to be IPS plus the weird freesync range seems like a pretty big negative to me even if most places say it's not that big a deal.

still a pretty tough choice, any more arguments to be heard?

Also saw BenQ has the XL2730Z refurbs for like 70 bucks less not sure if anyone has any experience with those.

Well Asus is also going to release a TN 1440p Freesync called the MG278Q. Dunno what's the freesync range on that though but it's probably cheaper than the IPS 279Q.

I'm looking at one of the XL2730Z refurbs, looks like theres a couple still in stock. any idea if they have the new firmware?

What's the deal with IPS love? I truly do not understand. Yes, the colors pop a bit more, but the light bleed these things are plagued with is just un-bearable. For those that are all about the "truer" images that IPS can create, how doe light bleed factor into that equation? It seems to me like a technology that's inherently flawed, but people were somehow conned into thinking isn't. I'm mystified. Anyone explain?

I'm looking at one of the XL2730Z refurbs, looks like theres a couple still in stock. any idea if they have the new firmware?

I confirmed with BenQ support that the refurbs are shipping with V002 software which you can see in the model# -002.

Also, there is a 40 off coupon floating around "2015gamer$40" Expires 07/31/15

What's the deal with IPS love? I truly do not understand. Yes, the colors pop a bit more, but the light bleed these things are plagued with is just un-bearable. For those that are all about the "truer" images that IPS can create, how doe light bleed factor into that equation? It seems to me like a technology that's inherently flawed, but people were somehow conned into thinking isn't. I'm mystified. Anyone explain?

There used to be a major difference not too long ago when TN panels were 6-bit color, and IPS was 8-bit. I thought TN truly looked awful, and there were so many colors that I could not display (I had a Dell IPS side by side for comparison). There was this very clear compromise that one had to make for the higher frame rates offered by TN when they first started pushing 120Hz.

Today with TN panels being 8-bit, the color differences are so much smaller. In fact, I've calibrated my Swift to look pretty much identical to the Dell 2713HM that's sitting right next to it. The only thing that makes the 2713HM still look better on the 2D desktop is its superior AG coating. The Swift's is utter crap.

Back