New Monitor recommendation

AP2

[H]ard|Gawd
Can anyone recommend a good 4K gaming monitor? I’m currently using 2 monitors, but would like to switch to a single monitor again.

I have the following 2:

Alienware AW3821DW - love the monitor, but tired hacking for widescreen support. It’s pretty much used for productivity now.

Acer Predator XB273U GXbmiipruzx - purchased this to get native resolution support. love this monitor as well, but feel it’s a little small.

Any recs? No budget.

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a good 4K gaming monitor? I’m currently using 2 monitors, but would like to switch to a single monitor again.

I have the following 2:

Alienware AW3821DW - love the monitor, but tired hacking for widescreen support. It’s pretty much used for productivity now.

Acer Predator XB273U GXbmiipruzx - purchased this to get native resolution support. love this monitor as well, but feel it’s a little small.

Any recs? No budget.

Thanks
I have the LG 38"
The only game I had to do anything special on was Overwatch (I made a custom 16:9 resolution) but even that was optional.
What are you playing that you have to "hack" for wide screen support?

I'd probably just stick with the AW at this point. There's no truly great 4K 32" HDR gaming displays on the market at the moment and you will pay a lot for just better HDR whereas good 4K 144+ Hz SDR displays in 27-32" are available.

For perspective, I paid 399 euros for my Samsung G70A on sale. It's a 28", 4K 144 Hz IPS display. It's terrible in HDR with low max brightness and mere 8 dimming zones. Otherwise I have no major complaints about it. It has good pixel response times, low input lag, HDMI 2.1 with 40 GBps speeds, antiglare coating that is not very noticeable, decent contrast ratio for IPS.

To get all that, but with HDR and maybe 32" size it would mean paying 900-1000 euros more for something like a Samsung Neo G7 which has its own pile of issues including the drawbacks of VA vs IPS. So for me it made sense to just wait a bit for better things.

Maybe next year we will get better 32" models or at least more options, maybe we will get more OLED options too where for example a fixed curve 42" OLED monitor would be a pretty nice option to put on a table.

I have the LG 38"
The only game I had to do anything special on was Overwatch (I made a custom 16:9 resolution) but even that was optional.
What are you playing that you have to "hack" for wide screen support?
That Overwatch hack, what exactly does that do for you? I have just been playing in 16x9 with black side borders since I was getting tired of not being able to see higher, especially when playing against a pharah or echo.
I have only run into a few games that didn't like the 21:9 aspect ratio, and they were older titles. Currently using the Alienware OLED monitor.

That Overwatch hack, what exactly does that do for you? I have just been playing in 16x9 with black side borders since I was getting tired of not being able to see higher, especially when playing against a pharah or echo.
I have only run into a few games that didn't like the 21:9 aspect ratio, and they were older titles. Currently using the Alienware OLED monitor.
I have barely played Overwatch since Apex Legends came out, but the issue I had was that a 16:9 option was not available until I went into the Nvidia control panel and created one. That's the only "special" thing I've ever had to do to make my 38" work.

My panel is getting close to 3 years old now and I still love it but the new OLED 42" monitors are very tempting. The main thing holding me back is that I work from home full time and I'm afraid 8-10 hours of office use (mostly documents, email, spreadsheets and web pages) is going to be hard on an OLED and the OLED might not be so great on my eyes (sub pixel / text issues)...

Back