New Monitor - 24-27in, GSYNC, 1440P, 144Hz+, Etc

JavaLava

Limp Gawd
I haven't purchased a new monitor in 8 years (I have some old 27in Dell 1080P Glossy Screen...the most I can tell you about it). The monitor is starting to show its age and the time has come.

I honestly do not keep up with panel technology anymore and really have no idea whats good, great, the best these days. I do know I want GSYNC, upgrade to 1440P resolution via a 24in to 27in screen (nothing higher...so please don't recommend 4k, etc), 144Hz+ refresh rates, and whatever bells and whistles are common these days (some usb ports would be nice but not required).

I am hoping to keep it under $500 but can be persuaded for higher (and its not that I can't afford higher prices, I just don't believe in paying more then $500 for monitor...or less the times have changed and there is a really good reason too).

Any suggestions and advice?

Still your best bets arguably with that criteria:

Acer Predator XB271HU

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

ViewSonic XG2703-GS (this one actually gets some better markups in some areas vs the others.)

These are IPS based.

If you want to save money and hit or go lower than your budget there are TN based solutions:

Dell S2716DG gets a lot of praise and could be your best bet on this otherwise Acer, Asus, Viewsonic, and others also offer TN based monitors that hit your specs.

Last edited:
As far as 24" options go, all of them are TN in case you're wondering. The S2417DG is a 24" version of the S2716DG and can be found for under $400. But from what I've read it seems that the AUO panel the 24" varieties out there share are poor quality, unlike the 27" variants.

Watch out for sales of the S2716DG as it frequently goes under $500. I don't think I've ever seen the IPS variants under $500 new.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
i have the s2417dg the color is ok. Typical TN ..not as rich in color as the native laptop ips that sits beside it but it still looks good.. and did I say smooth? .I wouldnt know how to explain it..but boy is she smooth to game on. I also appreciate that it doesn't look flashy. It's a non glare 24" thin bezel LCD with a usb 3.0 4 port hub and a pretty sweet stand that allows all sorts of adjustments very easly, up down tilt etc

plus 165hz gsync .. looks so smooth as im gaming I always notice how awesome it is and gives me feeling like I made the right choice for the $.

came with a 3 year advanced exchange warranty too. theyll send you a replacement, slide old on into the box and send it.. done.

Last edited:
Still your best bets arguably with that criteria:

Acer Predator XB271HU

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

ViewSonic XG2703-GS (this one actually gets some better markups in some areas vs the others.)

These are IPS based.

If you want to save money and hit or go lower than your budget there are TN based solutions:

Dell S2716DG gets a lot of praise and could be your best bet on this otherwise Acer, Asus, Viewsonic, and others also offer TN based monitors that hit your specs.

Are we ever getting new monitors? These are 3years old and still use the same panel. And 1440p feels like a stop gap resolution to me

like this
Are we ever getting new monitors? These are 3years old and still use the same panel. And 1440p feels like a stop gap resolution to me

You can pop 2 grand for 4K 144Hz Gsync 27 inch monitors from Acer and Asus right now. ;)

1440p is prevalent...seeing a lot more 4k 60Hz monitors out there as well but overall you don't want to get me started on my displeasure with the stagnation of this entire scene. ;)

Some people are even buying certain TVs that hit the mark they are looking for with 4k 60Hz. I see you in some other threads so you are obviously aware of all of this.

I tried to give examples as close to the mark of what the OP was looking for as I could.

Last edited:
There is a new AUO 1440p 165Hz IPS panel already, with response times down from 14ms to 10ms before overdrive. Could be utilized in the Acer Nitro VG270UP.

Q4 2018 also begins LG's 27" and 31.5" 1440p 144Hz IPS panel production.

4K is still way too early, even a 1080 Ti can't drive newest games at 144Hz in 1440p...

like this
4K is still way too early, even a 1080 Ti can't drive newest games at 144Hz in 1440p...
4/5k is at least 5 years late, not early. If monitors and GPUs offered integer scaling you could play in 1080p and use 4k on desktop, best of both worlds. It's also technically possible to have higher refresh in lower resolutions. We put up with pixelated text rendering for far too long.

Back