New Model Corsair H50 CWCH50-1

Zyklon808

Gawd
First of all, Aloha! :cool:

I just got done with a build that had a Corsair H50 Model CWCH50. Upon ordering another , I found out there is an added -1 to the model number. snooped around and could not find any obvious differences. Anyone else have any clues? Comes with extra brackets or something?

Thanks!

That is good to know. I was confused since the Corsair site says the AM3 brackets are separate.

the new one supposedly has a more universal bracket that works for everything?

This may diverge a little off topic, but how is everyone mounting the radiator fan? It seems some people are directing air into the case, some are blowing air out of the case, and some are sandwiching the radiator with two fans to help push/pull the air in or out. Any experience with one being better?

i've got mine in push-pull exhausting out. I'm not running any crazy overclock, so it's not too critical.

If i was pushing it further, i'd change it to intake.

Mine is also set up in a push-pull exhausting out of the case.

Once I get a dust filter for the rear, I may switch it to intake into the case.

That is good to know. I was confused since the Corsair site says the AM3 brackets are separate.
am3 and am2/2+ brackets are all the same.. its just corsair trying to get people to spend a couple extra bucks for something they dont even need..

This may diverge a little off topic, but how is everyone mounting the radiator fan? It seems some people are directing air into the case, some are blowing air out of the case, and some are sandwiching the radiator with two fans to help push/pull the air in or out. Any experience with one being better?
Two fans are better than one, link.

And I think I've seen users with the H50 radiator fan exhausting who had slightly worse temps than when it was an intake, basically negligible.

am3 and am2/2+ brackets are all the same.. its just corsair trying to get people to spend a couple extra bucks for something they dont even need..

I'm pretty sure that in the first models sold, the AMD brackets weren't supplied. You had to purchase them separately. From what I'm reading, it seems as though they're including them now in this model, which is good. They're not doing any "false marketing". Some people needed them, now no one should have to buy the extra AMD brackets since they're supplied.

I have again "stuck" the H50 pre-review thread that contains a discussion of airflow advantages and disadvantages.

It is indesputable that the H50 will perform better with cool ambient room air being fed to the rad.

The concerns are:
Is the case airflow and construction (power supply with bottom mounted exhaust fan at top of case) sufficient to remove the warm air introduced into the case with the elimination of the rear top exhaust fan by the corsair rad ?.
Are you overclocking to an extent that the advantages of better performance are needed or is it sufficient for your needs to run the H50 as exhaust ?
Should you not already be doing something else/better to mitigate heat buildup with the regulation circuity around the cpu area ? (many large towers and almost all aftermarket air heatsinks eliminate the "blowby" provided by the stock Intel heatsink, this "blowby" is also warm but the air movement over the parts more than makes up for the increase in temps compared to the results of replacing the stock heatsink and failing to mitigate the loss of air movement over the VRM/cpu area components.

Everyones wants and needs differ. Lots of decent info in the tread. There are many smaller H50 threads that a simple forum search will turn up. Dont forget we have a watercooling sub forum as well. However down where the big WCing boys play these systems are not favored.

WCing is more a state of mind and a niche hobby than ever before. The large tower heatsinks in a case with a well implented airflow design will give all the the top end WCing systems a run for the money in CPU overclockability. I suggest one should Water Cool because one wants to. One primary thing to keep in mind is that if the pump on the H50 or any of these small systems goes out it may be weeks before a replacement can be obtained and when the warranty runs out a pump failure for most people means throwing the thing away entirely. With a big tower all that can go wrong is a fan failure that is easily and quickly fixed/replaced.

Again, its all about what YOU are aiming for. Do not want to discorage anyone from WCing and this system is a very inexpensive way to start. Careful it can be addictive, and a starting budget for a more mainstream WCing system is $200+ for the higher quality components.

Please check out the sticky, 95% of the questions here have already been hashed through. It is very interesting that the member feedback is somewhat contrary to the review conclusions. Make up your own minds.

I'm pretty sure that in the first models sold, the AMD brackets weren't supplied. You had to purchase them separately. From what I'm reading, it seems as though they're including them now in this model, which is good. They're not doing any "false marketing". Some people needed them, now no one should have to buy the extra AMD brackets since they're supplied.

The first one I bought had all the adapters in it. This was about a week after it came out too.

Still got all the extra stuff for it, sold the unit off in a system.

As for push/pull, I was using a X58 system in a Lian Li A05B case, it has the intake on the back and the exhuast and PSU in the front. I had that h50 on intake and the system ran great. I think it all depends on ambient obstructions, fans etc on how good the H50 works. I don't do mad OC so I figured as long as it kept everything under 49C under load in Summer in Hawaii, I'm all good!

I purchased and installed CWCH50-1 yesterday... Didn't see anything different...

the -1 indicates its the retail version. this is also the newer style bracket that some people are saying is not as well made as the original.

The newer -1 revision comes with a metal bracket instead of a plastic one according to a discussion on Overclock.net.

The first one I bought had all the adapters in it. This was about a week after it came out too.

I bought mine @ the same time and there was no AMD adaptor.

There were two different (Socket LGA775 & LGA1366) Intel brackets.

Has anyone ordered the AMD bracket from Corsair recently? Are they shipping the old brackets or the new metal type?

Dudes,

Definitely Yes, H50 CPU Cooler provided AM2/3 brackets.

b_062251.jpg

See my AM3 MainBoard..

Has anyone ordered the AMD bracket from Corsair recently? Are they shipping the old brackets or the new metal type?

They are shipping the new solid plate steel one. I just ordered mine.

For those who dont know;

The price of the AM3 installation kit is FREE, but the shipping is $5.00

So if you buy a Hydro H50, and do not get the -1 version, you will have to go corsair.com, go to tech support and order your plate.

How long did it take them to ship it to you? Zipzoom has a rebate on the old CWCH50 model, so I might try the old model and just order the AM3 mount.

It took 3 business days to get to me.

I recently purchased the h50 off newegg, they carry the -1 version. It shipped w/ the metal brackets for AMD. Not sure why the plastic ones would be better, the metal ones I received worked flawlessly, and installed really easily. The only problem I ran into was user error, I forgot to put the metal pins(or whatever you call them) into the motherboard bracket before putting everything back in my case, and had to take everything back out again. I guess one should probably look at the instructions first :)

I got one from best buy while it was on sale. its the -1 version. It has the metal brackets and came with the AMD set.

I recently purchased the h50 off newegg, they carry the -1 version. It shipped w/ the metal brackets for AMD. Not sure why the plastic ones would be better, the metal ones I received worked flawlessly, and installed really easily. The only problem I ran into was user error, I forgot to put the metal pins(or whatever you call them) into the motherboard bracket before putting everything back in my case, and had to take everything back out again. I guess one should probably look at the instructions first :)

Corsair made a very helpful video walkthrough on their website on Installation of the H50.

I got my CWCH50 in from Zipzoomfly and it did not come with the AM3 bracket, so I ordered one from Corsair. They shipped me the plastic model AM3 bracket with the springs on the screws and the metal backplate. I haven't had a chance to rebuild the computer yet, but it looks like it should work just fine. Just have to send the rebate in now...

Back