New mobo and ram on the way...what OS should I use?

WhatTheSchmidt

Limp Gawd
So my mobo died(90% sure on this) so in a week and a half when I have time I will be fixing my system. I bought the gigabyte ud3r (Think that's right, 1 pcie, $105 after rebate) and 4 gb of g. skill ram 8000.

I currently have windows xp pro 32 bit installed on my raptor. I have the disc but am unsure if it will let me install windows again(there's a limit). XP was $15 5 years ago when I got it, I have reinstalled 3-4 times 1x was on the new current system. I could buy vista ultimate for $20 but it says online it's the 32 bit, is there a way to upgrade to 64 bit? or install 64 bit and use the key from the 32 bit? I could do the stickied new mobo but keep old install path too. My raptor is pretty full and heavily fragmented and sluggish though so I want to do a new install of a OS and I would rather have a 64 bit OS to utilize my 4gb of ram...

advice?

thanks

I'm just gonna ask this:

Did you even bother to look at the one page of posts from the last day? There's at least two threads there about which OS to install on a new build sooo...

My standing suggestion for any and all new builds is Windows 7, 32 bit or 64 bit, you choose. If you've got over 2GB of RAM I'd recommend going ahead and jumping on the 64 bit bandwagon.

'Nuff typed.

So my mobo died(90% sure on this) so in a week and a half when I have time I will be fixing my system. I bought the gigabyte ud3r (Think that's right, 1 pcie, $105 after rebate) and 4 gb of g. skill ram 8000.

I currently have windows xp pro 32 bit installed on my raptor. I have the disc but am unsure if it will let me install windows again(there's a limit). XP was $15 5 years ago when I got it, I have reinstalled 3-4 times 1x was on the new current system. I could buy vista ultimate for $20 but it says online it's the 32 bit, is there a way to upgrade to 64 bit? or install 64 bit and use the key from the 32 bit? I could do the stickied new mobo but keep old install path too. My raptor is pretty full and heavily fragmented and sluggish though so I want to do a new install of a OS and I would rather have a 64 bit OS to utilize my 4gb of ram...

advice?

thanks
If you can get Vista, grab it. You can also use the key for a 64-bit install, as well. I'm not so hot on the idea of running a beta OS as your primary as Joe Average suggests, but do what you want; it's monetarily free.

I'm just gonna ask this:

Did you even bother to look at the one page of posts from the last day? There's at least two threads there about which OS to install on a new build sooo...

My standing suggestion for any and all new builds is Windows 7, 32 bit or 64 bit, you choose. If you've got over 2GB of RAM I'd recommend going ahead and jumping on the 64 bit bandwagon.

'Nuff typed.

sigh...I really wanted to know if I can use my key for getting vista 64 bit...that had a lot of weight on what I do

thanks roflcopter, I will be getting the vista ultimate for $20 and either make or borrow a 64 bit install disk

In this day and age I only recommend 64bit OSes. There is no reason to run the 32bit versions. Absolutely no reason for it. Windows 7 would be the way to go, if it were out. Until then, Windows Vista x64. Your choice of flavor. Either Home Premium, Business or Ultimate depending on your needs.

I'm just gonna ask this:

'Nuff typed.
Another thing. Doesn't it seem a bit irresponsible to advise him to use a beta OS without any idea of his intended application?

Another thing. Doesn't it seem a bit irresponsible to advise him to use a beta OS without any idea of his intended application?

I'm gonna try to search for this, but my friend who has 64bit vista ultimate doesn't have a disc(laptop and it says to make your own recovery discs). Is it possible to just download vista 64 bit ultimate and use the key I get for the 32 bit ultimate then?

thanks

Any 64-bit Vista disc will work, regardless of its label.

so they all include the software for home premium / ultimate but to use what you install you just need the proper key?

Guess I'll have to track someone down with vista 64 bit disc...unless his recovery disc would work?

The purpose of recommending a "beta" OS - which is irrelevant - is to get him situated and adjusted to Windows 7. Why bother messing around with learning Vista and its little quirks only to end up probably moving to Vista later on in the year. Sorry, I just can't recommend it...

People seem to think "beta" means evil or bad or horribly useless. Let's just put it this way:

Windows 7 even in beta format currently is still a superior OS to Vista and XP on so many levels it's not even funny. I was running Vista x64 again last night for a test of some speeds over Gig-E and it just irked the hell outta me that I can't press the Windows key and type what I want. I'm so acclimated to Windows 7 now and its superior Start Menu and Search capabilities that going back to running Vista even for a short period of time was almost painful in some respects.

I hate seeing people waste time with <X> if they could just jump to <Y> and be way ahead of the curve. If the OP has serious reasons to continue using XP or Vista, so be it - he didn't clarify his intended purpose, he asked for a recommendation of an OS for his new PC, and I gave him one. Don't criticize my choice for an OS, and I won't criticize yours... Windows 7 is still the best OS for that machine. Might not be for the owner of that machine, but for the machine itself, Windows 7 all the way... :)

"That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it..."

<and recovery discs are usually tied to a machine and have OEM scripts on 'em, they're not "clean" installation discs so they're best avoided for just a clean install>

Windows 7 even in beta format currently is still a superior OS to Vista and XP on so many levels it's not even funny. I was running Vista x64 again last night for a test of some speeds over Gig-E and it just irked the hell outta me that I can't press the Windows key and type what I want. I'm so acclimated to Windows 7 now and its superior Start Menu and Search capabilities that going back to running Vista even for a short period of time was almost painful in some respects.
Hey, I really like Windows 7, too. But it isn't a guaranteed stable platform...yet. It really depends upon his usage and what the OS can deliver to reliably satisfy those requirements, which is what neither of us know. In any case, the best bet is simply going with what is supported now.

Hey, I really like Windows 7, too. But it isn't a guaranteed stable platform...yet. It really depends upon his usage and what the OS can deliver to reliably satisfy those requirements, which is what neither of us know. In any case, the best bet is simply going with what is supported now.

No OS on the planet is guaranteed stable... I thought you folks understood this by now... :)

Considering that Windows Update has drivers for Windows 7 compatible hardware - and I do mean a shitload of stuff, even ATI and Nvidia cards are now supported with WDDM 1.1 drivers (that you can't get anywhere else) - soooo...

Yes, you'll find a device somewhere that isn't supported because the manufacturer hasn't released a driver yet, but they will, in time. As long as you're not buying cheap shit no-name brand hardware that's an impulse purchase at a register because it looks like a good deal, a person won't have issues with about 99.9% of the hardware out there when running Windows 7.

Tomorrow it'll be 99.01%... and so on...

I thought you folks understood this by now... :)
You still do not know the application of his system. You don't know what software he will be using, much less, if it works. Just with that alone, you don't know what hardware will be required by it. Is the hardware fully supported? For all of the above, you don't know if Windows 7 BETA will work for him. How can you make such far-reaching advice as to what OS he'll end up using without any of this information? For the sake of learning the features of the OS?
Don't criticize my choice for an OS, and I won't criticize yours...
I criticized your advice, mate.
Windows 7 is still the best OS for that machine. Might not be for the owner of that machine, but for the machine itself, Windows 7 all the way... :)
This isn't helpful. If it's not the best for the owner, why give the advice? It seems that you've been arguing your preference with little regard to how it will fare to him.

I would use Vista x64. After using 7 and finding several applications that don't run, I've decided to join the '7 is not ready to be a mainstay OS right now' boat. It's not even RC, it's not ready. You're just going to find yourself downloading applications that don't work. I ignore the "everything works for me" post because I don't believe them, I've ran into to many problems with stuff not running or the OS in general being funky. It could also be funky drivers but either way, if drivers are not ready then I don't want to use it as a main OS; If applications don't run I don't want to use it as a main OS. I don't want to scour the Internet looking for one program that runs because right now, everything runs on Vista that I use.

I would use Vista x64. After using 7 and finding several applications that don't run, I've decided to join the '7 is not ready to be a mainstay OS right now' boat. It's not even RC, it's not ready. You're just going to find yourself downloading applications that don't work. I ignore the "everything works for me" post because I don't believe them, I've ran into to many problems with stuff not running or the OS in general being funky. It could also be funky drivers but either way, if drivers are not ready then I don't want to use it as a main OS; If applications don't run I don't want to use it as a main OS. I don't want to scour the Internet looking for one program that runs because right now, everything runs on Vista that I use.

I've been using Windows 7 as the primary OS on my tablet since the public beat last month and yes, pretty much everything does work for me.

Office 2007 - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Publisher, OneNote, Outlook
Visual Studio 2005 & 2008
Nero 9
SQL Server 2005 & 2008
InfraRecorder
MyEclipse 7
Chrome with a fix
FireFox
My favorite sidebar gadgets
IE7Pro - The best add in for IE works with IE8
Call of Duty World at War
Portal
CloneDVD
AnyDVD
KMPlayer
RealPlayer - love the Flash downloader for IE amd FF
OpenOffice
GIMP
Bluetooth mouse and stero headset though sometimes I have to repair the headset
Touch and inking are fantastic, in fact the the inking capabilties are why I had to keep using 7 on this tablet
Verizon broadband card
WiFi N

This that didn't work

Acronis True Image 2009 - though this can work by running from a boot image
A beta of SideShow for Windows Mobile phones

Of cource anyones MMV depending on the apps they use and need but for me yes, the 7 Beta is working as well as Vista, overall its working better than Vista, so from my own peronsal experience for the last month it is posible to run 7 for production. I still have my Vista image on a separate hard drive just in case.

You just have to try it out and see. It's very possible that 7 can work just fine for or it may not. It just depends and that's the correct answer.

I thought windows 7 expires?

anyway I already decided that I'm going with vista ultimate 64 bit for $20...just have to get a hold of an install disc for 64 bit somehow

It does expire, and if the past holds you true, you'd have to do a fresh install of another beta of Windows 7, or the first RC candidate, assuming you can get to it. I'm going to buck the trend and just say to stick with Vista for now, since you are getting it cheap. There's nothing wrong with Vista that it needs to be avoided in favor of Windows 7. If you want, you could set up a second system, or run Windows 7 in a VM to try it out, if you want.

In this day and age I only recommend 64bit OSes. There is no reason to run the 32bit versions. Absolutely no reason for it. Windows 7 would be the way to go, if it were out. Until then, Windows Vista x64. Your choice of flavor. Either Home Premium, Business or Ultimate depending on your needs.

x2. Whatever OS you get, make sure it's 64-bit. 32-bit is dead.

Back