New minotor, now LCD.

Astra

Limp Gawd
I have CRT LG Flatron 915FT plus. It is 4 years old and I have noticed it is too dark for digi photography.

I would like to buy a new LCD, 20.1" not wide screen, with a native res. 1600x1200.

I want to process RAW pictures from my new digi camera and once a week play FPS. However, processing RAW pics is the most important factor, playing games is secondary to it

Atm I consider 2 models:
ViewSonic VP2030
and
NEC MultiSync LCD2070NX

My 6th sense says that Viewsonic is more trustworthy than NEC, but I might be wrong.

What do you think guys?

Thank you in advance,
Astra.

In all honesty if you are doing raw photo work you need to get an S-IPS panel in whatever monitor you get.

From the 2 you listed above the NEC has the S-IPS and the Viewsonic does not.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Can you tell me why I need S-IPS? or maybe you can give a link to a source that explains it?

Thanks.

Btw. I am not editing digital pictures professionally. I just like RAW format over jpeg, because I can easily fix white balance, exposure etc.
Looks like VP2030 has MVA, which accordintly to the link above is
compromise between TN and IPS technologies
. Although you are right, looks like S-IPS has the best colors...
Difficult choice :)

I bought 2030b.

Bad choice. Avoid Viewsonic by any means. Most of their models suffer from the same FIRMWARE glitch. You see nothing on your screen until WinXP starts and it is doesn't always work as well. Need to reboot 3-4 times.

Now, speak about DVI-D connection.

VGA is fine. However, when you pay £420 for a monitor and want it to work with DVI connection is absolutely must.

I google a lot regarding this problem. There are literally hundreds of people with different Viewsonic models, such as 2030b, 930, and 21" model as well. All of them have the same problem.

I think it is odd. A well known company such as Viewsonic, when finding a problem, would have to supply at least all of its retailers with firmware update, or its customers, either upon request or making it available for download from their support webpage.

None of the above options are available. When you call them, they try to find other excuses as another DVI cable, faulty video card...only after telling them to stop bulling me, I am IT technician and I know what I am talking about, as well as I know how to google and read what other people say, then they say al'right, you are right, we have a problem with this particular model's firmware (gosh, ppl were complaining about it for 6 months and they didn't solve it yet, didn't recall all the faulty monitors??? What sort of a company is it?). Anyway, they said they will send me a new one. In 2 days they said they don't have any new ones and I will have to wait at least 3-4 weeks, but they may repair my monitor if I don't mind. So...I am sitting without my monitor for 2 weeks now and it is still somewhere out there, only not in my house.

I am so frustrated and disappointed with Viewsonic. I cannot believe how could they let down their customers in such a manner??

My 6th sense says that Viewsonic is more trustworthy than NEC

lol, I can't believe you said that, and it looks like you're paying for it. NEC pretty much has the highest quality products you can get, or atleast in the top 3.

Back