New Memory for my system.

JulesBravo

Weaksauce
I'm currently running an Intel Pentium 4 2.8, on and IC7 mobo, with 512 MB of crap ram (I think it came from an emachine), and a 9600 Pro, all with stock cooling. I want to play some DOOM 3 and I think that upgrading my memory should be the first step. I have about $800 to blow, but that has to include a decent monitor. Any reccomendations on the RAM?

Mushkin PC3200 level one about $260 for 1 gig....then get a Samsung 172X LCD with what you have left over !

So I was correct to believe that my first step should be to upgrade my RAM and not my videocard?

i'd say get pdp systems 2x512 ddr-400 at newegg. i have a pair and i can say is taht they're really good. with about $600 to spare, you can get a 6800gt or even a 6800 ultra.

Pickup a set of Kingston HyperX PC4000, it's guaranteed to run 500MHz and will go higher! The timings aren't the greatest, if you're looking for 2-2-2-5 you might want to take a look at Corsair XMS. For a video card look at the X800 series if you've got enough cash, if not, maybe the X700 is worth trying out? I'm running a 9800 Pro @ XT speeds at the moment and I can play the newest games at High Qualty at 1024x768. The cards are definitely pretty cheap right now there.

xref said:
i'd say get pdp systems 2x512 ddr-400 at newegg. i have a pair and i can say is taht they're really good. with about $600 to spare, you can get a 6800gt or even a 6800 ultra.
The same ram is currently available at outpost.com for 139.00 after 20.00 rebate, you could get the ram, a G-Force6800 Ultra, and still have enough leftover to actually by the GAME!

Here's a link http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3955668?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

JulesBravo said:
I have about $800 to blow, but that has to include a decent monitor.

A lot of what you guys are saying will take up the full $800 without even mentioning a monitor.

JulesBravo said:
A lot of what you guys are saying will take up the full $800 without even mentioning a monitor.

You stated that all you need is a video card, ram, and a monitor. I dont know how you can blow over 800 on all three.

Ram - 150
Vid card - 350
Dell Flat panel 17"lcd - 250 right now

You get the idea, just mix and match whatever and even out your budget plan. Were not your accountants here but we can throw up advice and opinions to help you out.

BTW, the patriot ram, are they any good?? I might pickup some ram for my bottlenecked P4.

Hey, just noticed this but the one in newegg has no heatspread and is CAS3 while the one on outpost is CAS2 with heatspreads..... I need some help - which one is better for a high end P4.

get a 9800pro and a AC rev.3 hsf for it. Oc it to xt speeds. Get corsair or kingston value ram (1 gig) and a samsung 172x. Should be really close to $800.

Back