New Mechanical Keyboard

HelioX

Gawd
Currently using a Das Keyboard Ultimate S. I'd like something without blank key caps for a change and would like to try something new. I think my keyboard is Cherry Blue switches, and I'd like to try something else.

I primarily use my computer for web browsing/gaming.

I'd try looking on geekhack. I'm assuming you're wanting to try different switches. Do you have any characteristics in mind? For example, if you like the tactile feedback, but don't want the click, Cherry MX Brown switches would fit the bill (or Alps black I think). If you don't want either and just want a mechanical switch, probably Cherry MX Black.

In either case, the usual suspect was the Filco Majestouch (available with blue, brown, or black), but elitekeyboards doesn't seem to carry them anymore.

In either case, the usual suspect was the Filco Majestouch (available with blue, brown, or black), but elitekeyboards doesn't seem to carry them anymore.

Elite Keyboards will be carrying Leopold keyboards soon, also with the same switches. Apparently they couldn't keep a good enough supply of Filcos so they're switching out. I've read that they're actually better quality, so that's good. I liked my Filco ok but I wasn't thrilled by it, I ended up preferring the build quality of the Steelseries keyboard I got later on. The Leopolds are supposed to be sturdier and better quality, so we'll see.

I love the build quality of the SS G6v2, but cherry black switches are too stiff for prolonged typing sessions. At least they were on the Deck keyboard I returned.

I've always wanted a Filco tenkeyless with Cherry MX brown switches, but the cost is... substantial. One day, maybe soon. If the Leopolds are supposed to be better build I'll look in to them too.

What do you expect Elitekeyboards to say? We're bringing in lesser quality keyboards?

No. I expect them to have some tradeoffs like any keyboard. The Korean Forums have been pounding on them for a while so while I haven't heard of any Leopold deal killers they still buy a lot of Filcos and Topres.

I love the build quality of the SS G6v2, but cherry black switches are too stiff for prolonged typing sessions. At least they were on the Deck keyboard I returned.

The Deck keyboard is an odd one. You have to really use and abuse them to get them broken in. Mine with the Cherry MX Black switches was stiff at first, but after knocking out a mobo review they were fine. I stopped using it simply because I prefer Cherry MX Blues to the Blacks or Browns. My only complaint about the Das Keyboard Professional is that my shift key's lettering is wearing off and the keys are developing a shiny surface after soo much typing. From what I understand though, newer Das Keyboard Professionals have laser etched key caps and hold up better.

From what I understand though, newer Das Keyboard Professionals have laser etched key caps and hold up better.
Yes, I can confirm the new Das Professional's keys are laser-etched. I made sure of that before buying mine, two weeks ago. :)

Yes, I can confirm the new Das Professional's keys are laser-etched. I made sure of that before buying mine, two weeks ago. :)

Well I don't really care about the lettering as I have the blank Das anyways, but the shiny surface is annoying because the keys don't feel as good as others. And I emailed their support and they said they don't sell replacements.. But since they are Cherry MX keys I was just going to buy a Filco set and use those, but Elitekeyboards has been out of stock of those for a while.

I like the blackwidow ultimate's look and backlit nature but I hate all the retarded gaming features and gaming buttons and macros. I wish there was a keyboard that combined a sharp industrial look with the kind of backlighting on the blackwidow ultimate. The deck ice look and fonts are not my cup of tea design wise.

I love the G6v2, I grabbed one here at [H] for a buddy of mine. After spending some time with my blackwidow, I can't stand how I smash these keys to the bottom, even while casually typing (casual for me is still well over 70wpm), so I may switch to one as well. Overall though, this isn't a bad keyboard, I just need something stiffer.

I recently got an XArmor U9BL-S and i absolutely love it so far. The Cherry Brown keys are a pleasure to type on. Definitely a huge upgrade from my rubber membrane keyboard I had before.

I love the G6v2, I grabbed one here at [H] for a buddy of mine. After spending some time with my blackwidow, I can't stand how I smash these keys to the bottom, even while casually typing (casual for me is still well over 70wpm), so I may switch to one as well. Overall though, this isn't a bad keyboard, I just need something stiffer.

The Black Widow's keys are supposed to be Cherry MX Blues but they don't feel that good at all. The keycaps are made of very weak plastic and they've done something to the thing to change the sound they make. I tried the Steel Series as well and found it to be lacking compared to my Das Keyboard Professional and my Deck Ice Legend. The quality is far from equal on all these mechanical keyboards.

Back