NEW MBP Performance??

falconman

Limp Gawd
Hey ,

Im interested in a new MBP but I have a couple of questions..for those of you with the new MBP

1: Have you gamed on it at all...mostly interested in Flight Sim X?

2: Have you done any video editing..Final Cut Pro or anything else?

How is the performance with 1 or 2 and how does it compare with 1 or 2 with your old mac.

I currently have a PowerBook G4 so this should be a good bit of an upgrade.

Dunno about the gaming, but i have the last gen 2.5 with 256mb nvidia and 4gb ram.

Video editing is smooth for the most part, I use it more as a backup node for logic studio though.

Performance is better than my Dual G5 by leaps and bounds.

Here's diggnation being edited on the same setup by Hippie Glen in Final Cut Pro.

Diggnation edit time lapse

Keep in mind that video editing can sometimes be more dependant on hard drive performance than anything else, and the laptop hard drives aren't fast. You might want an external Firewire RAID or something...

I don't have the "new new" MBP, but since they haven't really redone the 17" I guess I can still say I have the new one of those (sig) :)

I don't do that much gaming on mine, but I have played a bit of WoW and WarCraft III in OS X. I also tried TF2 boot camped into XP, and it ran fine so I think you should be ok there.

As for video editing I have done a reasonable amount on it, and it is very good for a laptop. Make sure you either get the 7200 upgrade from Apple or buy your own 7200 drive and toss that in though. You will also probably want external drives or a good NAS if you plan to do a lot of it, fast laptop drives still cap out in the 300s for the most part.

Comparison? I was mostly a PC person before this laptop. I did have a powermac G4 733 with a gig of ram, but I never really tried gaming or final cut on it.

Very good info, thanks guys.

Does anyone know if it is possible to put a fast raptor drive or something other than the standard 7200 rpm one?

nope, raptor drives will not fit and have higher power requirements than most laptops can provide.

yes, there are 2.5" 7200rpm drives you can get for it, they go up to 320gb, just make sure it's a 9.5mm height drive. I don't think apple offers them but you can get them online at somewhere like newegg. Replacing the hard drive is very simple on the new macbook pros and doesn't involve you opening up the computer case so you don't void the warranty. So you can save money by buying from an online computer shop since apple marks up all optional components anyway.

Back