New MBP coming today

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
So I’m getting my new computer today, and the last time I got a new MBP was 2011.

I want it set up very very similar to what I have right now, but I don’t want to use the migration tool. I feel like I am having certain software issues, and I don’t want to propogate them.

Do you have any tips on how to continue? Remember I did this in 2011, before two kids......you know what I mean.

Basically I don’t want to lose any pictures or documents. Everything else that is important is in the cloud (I think).

Anyways that’s my question.

Personally, I use a Time Machine (3TB variant to ensure I don't have to get one any time soon), throw everything up there, then download as I get a new machine (or as needed for stuff I don't keep locally). Another plus is that it basically creates a snapshot of what you have, and you could choose restore everything, or just restore certain files.

Do you have have any sort of backup in place as it is?

Reactions: Liver
like this
Oh yea. I’m pretty routine about my back ups. I run it every 7-10 days since I’ve had a MBP. Definitely since 2011, but also on the previous machine. Routinely update iCloud as well.

One reason I don’t want to just migrate is because of Microsoft Office 2011. They are no longer supporting it, and honestly it’s time to move on.

If that’s out of date. I wonder what other garbage I’ll transfer over. That I don’t need, doesn’t work etc. I mean, get stuff that I don’t even know is there.

Careful with the new MBP's...their performance, under any form of CPU stress, is less than previous generations because of their thermal a management solution.

The i9-based 2018 MBPs are the ones having considerable thermal issues under severe processing loads (4K+ video rendering, 3D CPU/GPU rendering, etc). The 2018 i7 models are showing very slight throttling so far at full CPU usage but nothing anywhere near as bad as the i9 equipped models are showing in multiple reviews and videos just in the past few days.

I wonder if that can be improved manually. I’m still using a 2013 15” MBPr and I can squeeze more out of it by kicking up the fans via software.

I’m surprised actually that no one has tested that. Especially after finding out about the throttling issues.

Time Machine - it’s pretty painless. I’ve went back and forth between machines using this without too much issue

Barring that, you can just drag/drop the folders containing your pics and docs.

After seeing the reviews of the new 2018 macbook pro, I will continue to rock on with my 2015 macbook pro 15 inch.

I wonder if that can be improved manually. I’m still using a 2013 15” MBPr and I can squeeze more out of it by kicking up the fans via software.

I’m surprised actually that no one has tested that. Especially after finding out about the throttling issues.

They have and they have also put them in freezers. Apple came out with a patch, but you still won't hit the 4.8 GHz speed and maintain it.

I should have gotten both computers on 7/18. FedEx isn’t very good in my area.

Not being very good would imply a day or two late, not a week! What's going on is your shipment still in process or has it disappeared? :(

After seeing the reviews of the new 2018 macbook pro, I will continue to rock on with my 2015 macbook pro 15 inch.

I just sold my base config 13" for $800.

If I was going to stick with MacOS 2015 15" base config go for $900.

I cannot deal with the butterfly keyboard in any form.

I use terminal, VS Code, node, react, AWS client tools, Python, Chrome, Postman, Slack, Git, Ruby.

Back