New "main" DDR console platform?

erwos

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know which console platform is going to be Konami's flagship platform for DDR, now that the PS2 is being phased out? The Wii seems like the best choice based simply on Japanese market share, but their efforts thus far for that platform seem anemic (DDR-HP was pretty lame, from what I've heard). The 360 has less Japanese market share, but seems to be getting more/better titles (DDRU and DDRU2).

The reason I ask is because our (semi-cheap) metal dance pads have finally started breaking from use, and I don't feel like investing more money in PS2 peripherals.

PS3 and 360. I don't think they ever just have one system being focused on with DDR. I have DDRU for the 360. Freaking hard but fun. Plus I believe DDR2U will have downloadable content to expand the length of the game.

SOoooo PS3 and 360 since both offer the ability to buy more songs.

Edit: Also if you plan getting a PS3 or already havea PS3, you can buy a converter that allows you to use your dance pad on the PS3 with no problem. I have two for my dance pads.

It's going to remain as the PS2 for a while yet.

It wont be the 360 unless they allow un-certified USB devices, it isn't the PS3 yet as playing DDR games on BC adds lag and there aren't any DDR games released. I doubt the Wii will have many DDR games as devs will probably concentrate on making some quirky thing that involves the Wiimote.

It wont be the 360 unless they allow un-certified USB devices
Don't they? You can buy the boards from MadCatz, IIRC. They don't allow uncertified wireless devices, which sucks, but that's not a deal-breaker for me. I mean, there's already a pad out there for the 360 - I'm just curious what platform the serious pad manufacturers will start using.

The main issue is not that there isn't a pad for the 360, of course there is. The problem is that to the best of my knowledge there aren't any adaptors for the high end metal pads and the ones with USB connections on them simply don't work on the 360.

It's going to remain as the PS2 for a while yet.

It wont be the 360 unless they allow un-certified USB devices, it isn't the PS3 yet as playing DDR games on BC adds lag and there aren't any DDR games released. I doubt the Wii will have many DDR games as devs will probably concentrate on making some quirky thing that involves the Wiimote.

Why wouldn't it be the 360? My fiance just got DDR Universe for the 360 and it connects to the 360 via a USB cable with the same safety break that the official wired controllers use.

I did some more research, and it looks as if the Blue Shark pads are getting 360 support, and the Cobalt Flux pads are semi-easily modified to work with the 360 as well. I may take a stab at seeing if my lower-end pad can be easily modified...

Why wouldn't it be the 360? My fiance just got DDR Universe for the 360 and it connects to the 360 via a USB cable with the same safety break that the official wired controllers use.
Again, the problem is not the new pads... it's the extremely expensive old metal pads that some of us have and wont work (yet).

Again, the problem is not the new pads... it's the extremely expensive old metal pads that some of us have and wont work (yet).

360 can't support every USB device because MS has to write all the drivers themselves. People can say they want USB device X or Z to work, but it doesn't work like magic. MS can't just throw a switch and suddenly the input from every USB dance pad out there is recognized.

360 can't support every USB device because MS has to write all the drivers themselves. People can say they want USB device X or Z to work, but it doesn't work like magic. MS can't just throw a switch and suddenly the input from every USB dance pad out there is recognized.
Not every USB device, no... but you could cover the dance mats with about a day of a driver engineer's time. Lets not forget that the original xbox controllers were simply USB with a different connector.

Besides, who was criticizing MS? I was simply stating the situation as I understood it.

They will probably stay with Ps2 and have some games on the Wii also.

Millions of "casual" gamers would love to jump on DDR i bet. I'd make a bet that plenty of people who own a wii never tried DDR, but will now if they can market it well enough.

ddr was a pretty good game. I really enjoyed the music selection in it.

I don't think they'll be making any new DDR games...DDR is basically dead in Japan (only saw it once).

Back