New Macbook Pro with anti-glare non-retina upgrade display, dull/dim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
Now, mind you, I'm not comparing it to a glossy display. As I am upgrading from a 4-5 year old desktop with a 20" Widescreen Dell IPS LCD, I figured the display change would be comprable, if not an improvement. I elected for the anti-glare since outside of the retina, the glossy seemed far too reflective, plus, while I didn't get a retina, I still got the diaply with the bumped up resolution (so, 1650x). That resolution also just happens to be the same as my old 20" widescreen LCD, despite this screen being a 15" widescreen.

So my issue is, why does the screen seem so dull, lacking in depth, and just kind of blurry? Again, I am comparing this to my 5 year old dell LCD of the same resolution but actually larger size. Also, I don't think the color profile is off or needs to be changed, seems like the one it's set to is competent and all.

Is it just a bad screen? While I still have time should I just exchange my model for a retina (which would require other tweaks, and a screen resolution that I feel will overly tax my computer, or force me to scale, which I hate).

It's possible you could have a bad screen. You could also be a victim of expectations. It's tough to say without some sort of reference.

If you think you have a defective product, schedule an appointment at an Apple Store. They're pretty good about exchanges and refunds, especially for new purchases.

The retina displays are dimmer according to reports. I haven't seen one in person, but 'they' do say they are dimmer due to the higher pixel density. The higher pixel density makes it more difficult for light to travel through.

As far as dullness, that is more or less the way I felt looking at Apple Anti-Glare screens even before the retina. I personally think glossy is the way to go, but then again I work in a graphical medium, so getting the vibrant colors and seeing more clearly what things look like is a tradeoff that is more than worth it to deal with a "chance at" glare.

However Terfpen's assessments may be correct. You either may have a bad screen or you are suffering from exceedingly high expectations.

There are a couple of people with those anti-glare MBPs at my office, and they look pretty damn sharp. Maybe yours is a dud. You might take it to an Apple store and compare against display models?

I am not sure, but it sounds like people missed the part where I said I "didnt" have the retina model.

Also, I wouldn't have overly high expectations for two very specific reasons:

First, if anyone is going to build in a quality display, it would be Apple.

Secondly, I am comparing it to a 5 year old Dell LCD.....do you REALLY think it's accurate to presume that would be employing high expectations? I am thinking probably not.

And also, a non-retina glossy is terrible glare wise, this much was obvious. The retina WAS tempting, but the resolution was just too high as far as demand on the system, and scaling is annoying. They did make the anti glare work better though, whereas the regular glossy screens have an extra layer making them incredibly poor to use in most lit environments I noticed.

First, if anyone is going to build in a quality display, it would be Apple.

Apple doesn't make the panels.

Secondly, I am comparing it to a 5 year old Dell LCD…..do you REALLY think it's accurate to presume that would be employing high expectations? I am thinking probably not.

Since we're talking about expectations, let's rely on my post, not UnknownSouljer's insertion of an adjective I didn't use.

The point was that you are making two assumptions in your comparison: first, that the Dell display is inferior because it is older; and second, that Apple made the display. Those are the expectations that are coloring your experience here.

And since you took three weeks to bump the thread, I'm guessing you got the laptop swapped.

A correct assumption seems to be rather absent from the above post...

I never said apple MADE the panels, I said "built in". Quibbling over semantics aside, Apple does have a reputation of using high quality displays in all their stuff, particularly their standalone displays, but their laptops as well (Retina not being the only exception). A TN panel in a Macbook? Yeah, fat chance.

I really dont know what you're on about in regards to Unkownsouljer and mystery adjectives, but given Apples track record with panels, yes, I would assume not only would one I get now be better than a 5 year old Dell display, but that it would in fact likely be very similar but just upgraded (so in both cases higher end IPS panels, and in this case, one that is far newer and better than one 5 years it's senior).

And no I did not swap the laptop, I have been very busy with work/life/everything to get around to getting much of anything done.

So, as I said, low on correct assumptions here...

I never said apple MADE the panels, I said "built in". Quibbling over semantics aside, Apple does have a reputation of using high quality displays in all their stuff, particularly their standalone displays, but their laptops as well (Retina not being the only exception). A TN panel in a Macbook? Yeah, fat chance.

You used the word "build", which means, or at least implies, manufacturing.

And, actually, yes, the MacBook line uses TN panels. The MacBook Pro line uses TN panels as well. The Retina Display variants are the only MacBooks that use IPS panels.

I really dont know what you're on about in regards to Unkownsouljer and mystery adjectives

The concept of "high" expectations comes from his modification of the verbiage in my post.

So, as I said, low on correct assumptions here…

Other way around.

And either way, there's not much remedy to this situation that doesn't involve you scheduling an appointment with an Apple Store.

And, actually, yes, the MacBook line uses TN panels. The MacBook Pro line uses TN panels as well. The Retina Display variants are the only MacBooks that use IPS panels.

The concept of "high" expectations comes from his modification of the verbiage in my post.

Other way around.

And either way, there's not much remedy to this situation that doesn't involve you scheduling an appointment with an Apple Store.

macbook air also uses TN panels and even the smaller imac (unless that changed but doubt it to keep the price low)

Other way around.

They build the panels into the laptop, I don't know what's so hard about that to understand, it doesn't imply they made anything...

And, my macbook certainly does NOT have a TN panel....and yet it isn't a retina model, huh, fancy that? Easy enough to tell by looking at it at an angle.

Anyway, dance around it all you want, or blame another user, but comparing it to a 5 year old monitor, especially when they are known for quality displays on their own, is very far from going in with "high" expectations.

They build the panels into the laptop, I don't know what's so hard about that to understand, it doesn't imply they made anything...

And, my macbook certainly does NOT have a TN panel....and yet it isn't a retina model, huh, fancy that? Easy enough to tell by looking at it at an angle.

Anyway, dance around it all you want, or blame another user, but comparing it to a 5 year old monitor, especially when they are known for quality displays on their own, is very far from going in with "high" expectations.

My 5 year old dell monitor looks better compared to my friends Mac book non-retina.

Take it to the store and see if its really a dud, but I doubt it is, sounds like you got fooled by Apples marketing team.

Your laptop has a TN panel dude, so does my MBP. THe only IPS panels are the retinas. PERIOD.

Apple puts the best TN panels into their laptops with much better viewing angles than ACER TN desktop screens. They are very good TN panels but they are still TN panels, nothing you can do about it. Regardless they are still some of the best panels on laptops out there (most laptops do have TN panels).

It a TN panel. TN panels have fine horizontal view angles, just not so good vertical viewing angles. Close the laptop from your normal viewing angle by ~35 degrees and you'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back