New Mac Advertising Campaign, Deja Vu?

Has anyone here seen the new campaign advertising the benifits of using a Mac over a PC? The posters have just gone up in bus shelters and on the sides of buildings in my area and, as a firm PC user who sometimes has to endure using a Mac, i think they're laughable. For example, this one:

getamac.jpg

I have, and so has my girlfriend, crashed a top of the line, duel core iMac, simply by asking it to close a program.

But the real question is, does this seem like a case of Deja Vu? Maybe apple isn't as 'original' as it claims, lol.

20060513.jpg

By the way, this isn't a flame against Macs. They're fine if you want to use them.

I CALL BULLSHIT!!! :p

As a recent owner of 4 Macs: 2 iMacs, a MacBook, and a MacBook Pro, the notion that "Macs don't crash" is just such absolute bullshit it's not even funny. Talk about false advertising, my lord.

But then again...

"If you build it, sheeple will buy it..."

It's just sad to see what they're doing these days in terms of advertising. I guess they had to step up the campaign of mini-F.U.D. since Vista's out now - and Vista is more solid in most respects than any previous version of Windows, meaning... yep, you guessed it... less crashing if it happens at all.

Just never seems to end, does it? :)

The only time my iBook's ever crashed is when the hard drive died, and that's after a year and a half of constant beta testing. :)

Gee its like they're saying you don't have to restart it at all. When I had my mac mini, i remember restarting it plenty of times. Program crashes, updates, and program installs...all asking for restarts. :rolleyes: Btw, you might as well forget about that virus thing. With ppl dual booting with XP or Vista, and most prolly storing personal data, don't feel so safe. I bet ppl prolly think cuz it is a Mac, they don't have to worry about that shit anymore. hahahhahhaha. I dunno...I can't call it a mac anymore. Its a PC with OSX.

If your Mac doesn't crash (and some of you are pretty lucky in that respect), it's not because of Apple.

It's because of three little letters as I've mentioned before.

B S D

:p

Ever wonder what Windows could be like if someday Microsoft just gave up on creating it and said, "Let's just create a GUI that people like and drop it on, oh... I don't know... some Linux distro... or hell, let's just buy UNIX once and for all and be done with it. BSD too while we're at it..."

It'll never happen, but it makes for great speculation.

They had one a while ago where they were in shipping boxes. The MAC guy hops out of his box and goes off to do whatever, while the PC guy is apparently in multiple boxes. This is angled as a negative against PC's, because they come in multiple boxes.

This commercial didn't even make ANY sense. I mean it's one thing to stretch the truth or maybe gimp the opposition a little, but honestly, when you are down to attacking PC's for *possibly* coming in more than one freaking box, that's just silly.

There was also one I don't remember too well that attacked the PC for having lots of pre-loaded crap on it. While this is a problem, it's the horrible price we PC users pay for getting our computers for a fraction of the cost of a MAC.

I owned a G4 once. I even brought it to work and used it as my work PC. I don't miss it.

On my XP system at work: logon date is 12/16/06. At home, it's been running even longer.

Windows doesn't crash any more than OSX, poorly-written Windows software causes the OS to crash. Balmer stated the problem best: developers, developers, developers, developers, developers...

Oh, and as for the OP...I'm confused. Are you thinking that the ads are stealing from CTRL+ALT+DEL? CAD is spoofing their TV commercials that have been annoying viewers for quite some time.

It's kind of funny. I've had to use Macs in the past, but my own personal system was always a Windows machine (though now I have two, with one being Windows and the other Linux). My cousin was, and still sort of is a die-hard Mac user, and all the time he'd talk about how great they were, and how superior the Mac OS was (this was prioer to OSX).

Having had to use a Mac a lot, for some electronic imaging classes, I encounted many problems while doing various things. I'd get plenty of errors and programs freezing up, or whatever. I can't remember the year but I was using an iMac and occasinally a G4. Anyway, eventually I got Photoshop for my Windows 98 machine and worked more from home where I had less problems.

After OSX came out I was having a conversation with my cousin and we were talking computers and I began to tell him about my horror stories with the Mac for Electronic Imaging. He admits to me that the previous OSes were never that great (I can't remember how he put it), but basically said they weren't as stable as Mac users liked to admit, etc., etc.... but now of course OSX delivers, and it IS everything it's cracked up to be. I will definitely admit that OSX is WAY better then the previous versions (though I haven't used it enough myself), but I just thought it was funny after the fact he admitted those old versions, which were so superior, were in fact not. Same thing when Apple switched to Intel. Prior to that it was how superior the PowerPC processor was, and CISC architecture sucked. *lol*

EDITED: accidently put RISC instead of CISC.

While this is a problem, it's the horrible price we PC users pay for getting our computers for a fraction of the cost of a MAC.
My Boxx workstation didn't come preloaded with anything, and it probably cost more than the most expensive Mac in existance... :p

Prior to that it was how superior the PowerPC processor was, and RISC architecture sucked. *lol*
Oh God. :rolleyes:

If I had the choice between a G5 and a Netburst CPU, I'd choose the G5. If I had the choice between a G5 and an Opteron, back when the G5 still had a future, I'd say it was a toss-up. There main reason people are enthusiastic about the switch, is the Core architecture.

Also, it was never PowerPC vs RISC, for a number of reasons:
*PowerPC was, arguably, more RISCy than x86 ever was.
*RISC is not an architecture. It's a design philosophy.

Windows doesn't crash any more than OSX, poorly-written Windows software causes the OS to crash.
Which is something that doesn't happen in Linux or Mac OS X, in my experience.

As for Mac OS "Classic" vs Mac OS X vs Windows:

I'd MUCH rather use XP or Vista than Mac OS 9 or earlier. But I'd also MUCH rather use Mac OS 9 or earlier, than Windows pre-XP. Sure, Mac OS 8 wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but it beat the pants off Windows 98 any day on the week and twice on Sundays. You can't compare a Mac OS from 1995 to Windows from 2000.

Also, this thread is going to get SOOO locked.

BSD. hehe I could start a chant, but then this thread will just turn into the dreaded "Mac vs PC" argument, which everyone knows is ridiculous now that Macs are PCs, right down to the Intel heart beating inside.

I gave 'em a shot with the 4 I bought recently, and each one just had more issues and more bugaboos in the 2 months I owned them all than I've had with 15 different desktops and 14 different laptops in the past 10 years.

Even the BSD underpinnings can't help there.

I had 4 kernel panics on 1 Mac inside of a week and those were from the DVD Player in OSX while watching retail DVDs, not backups, on a fresh install of OSX clean from the media included with the Mac. 2 kernel panics on another 1 inside of 2 weeks of buying it, the MacBook had 1 in the 3 days I owned it, and the MacBook Pro ran so hot it shut itself off on a regular basis and it sat above the desktop with plenty of airflow.

Needless to say, I'll never buy another Mac, and if I happen upon one, I'll sell it as fast as I can. I've had 2 BSODs in 4 years, both times it was a driver issue because, as we all know...

"It's the drivers... it's always the drivers..." :p

I always tell people: for the sheer size, the sheer amount of code, the sheer amount of available hardware support from the installation itself, Windows is an absolutely amazing thing. It's designed from day 1 to run on a nearly infinite variety of hardware and to run an almost infinite variety of software and it does so quite well comparitively speaking.

Now look at the closed platform Mac and the incredibly narrow hardware profile and sparse software offerings, and it still doesn't work right - and I speak from my own personal experience with that statement. I know a lot of people will say they've never had a problem with their Macs, but when you question them about stuff, you get this kind of dialogue:

Me: Does your Mac crash?

Them: Oh, never...

Me: Does it <insert hypothetical here that's an issue>?

Them: Oh yeah, quite often. But it's not a problem.

Me: If I told you it's not supposed to do that, ever, and that's actually a big problem, would it matter?

Them: It's not? Wow... just... wow. Really?

hehe I get that a lot, all too often actually. They're nice, but they simply don't live up to the marketing hype. Unfortunately, sheeple react to the marketing precisely because those people are paid big bucks to find the ways to make people react in just the way they want, hence the sheeple comment.

Sad state of affairs, but even with all the marketing over the past 2 years or so, Apple's market share is still barely a drop in the proverbial bucket for the consumer computing market. That's not going to change anytime soon, and not even releasing OSX as a standalone product for any generic PC - something Apple simply cannot do for a nearly infinite variety of reasons - can help with that.

The first time I'd used a Mac in years was last month. My girlfriend's mom only uses Macs, and all I wanted to do was add some of her mom's classical music collection to my girl's MP3 player (NOT an iPod).

Well, the Mac crashed, and the music transfer essentially wiped the MP3 player of everything.

Fuck Macs.

-bZj

I think people should use the tool that best helps them to achieve their goal.

I think people should use the tool that best helps them to achieve their goal.

That is a really good thing... but the tool needs to work to get you there, you know. Here's the ultimate irony in my 30+ years of working on computers:

PCs running Windows, if you believe the hype, are buggy, ugly, crash-prone, bloated, malware infested, virus infected, spyware hogged things that can't get anything done.

Macs running OSX (or any Mac OS actually), if you believe the hype, are solid, aesthetically pleasing, crash-proof, efficient, scratch anything else.

In my experience, it's exactly the opposite:

The PCs I use with Windows are solid, they work, they don't crash, they don't have spyware, they don't have malware, viruses, major hassles of any kind, they're fast, solid, and efficient - especially after I get done setting one up.

The Macs I owned recently were buggy, shaky, unstable, crash-prone, with a nearly weekly stream of updates for various issues coming in from Apple, inefficient, and just slow overall.

I don't know why so many people have problems with Windows, and I don't know why so many people think OSX is the cat's freakin' meow. All I do know is that I tread a different path, and by doing so I have a perspective on the situation that most people (I'll take a break from the sheeple stuff) just can't see.

The forest for the trees be damned...

Which is something that doesn't happen in Linux or Mac OS X, in my experience.

Pre-OSX, it was quite common for apps to kill the OS. I work at a school district, we see all the cheap edutainment crap that was written for Macs back when they were everywhere in the schools. It's still floating around, crashing all our old G3s running 8.6.

Linux and BSD (and OSX, by extension) greatly benefit from their ability to keep processes independent of one another; it's nothing in Linux to stop and restart XWindows if it fails. You can't do that with Windows, and that's a shortcoming of Microsoft's making.

Of course, those systems have their own quirks brought on in part by that very same functionality. If you don't want to compile every piece of software you want to use (which can turn into a convoluted hunt for some obscure library the author didn't bother to give a link to or include), then you've got to use a package manager. I can't even remember how many packages I've had not work. I've seen a few bring down other apps in the process, and one even forced a reinstall of the OS.

The only thing Mac's have going for them is that they're 'metrosexual'.
Some people consider that a good thing, I sure don't.

Linux and BSD (and OSX, by extension) greatly benefit from their ability to keep processes independent of one another; it's nothing in Linux to stop and restart XWindows if it fails. You can't do that with Windows, and that's a shortcoming of Microsoft's making.

Wholly incorrect.

Do you know the name of the equivelant to Xwindows on windows?

explorer.exe

Close it..
see what happens.

Hell, you can run it again!
Sounds a lot to me like "closing down the GUI and starting it up again"

The only thing Mac's have going for them is that they're 'metrosexual'.
Some people consider that a good thing, I sure don't.

Macs are good systems. The hardware is solid, the OS is stable and generally user-friendly, and the packaged apps put most OEMs to shame.

Of course, my Windows PC at home has great hardware, a stable and userfriendly OS, and all the apps I need obtained for free from the internet.

We need a major PC manufacturer to put some meaningful applications on their products, not a bunch of demos and crapware. Throw out the Norton trial and get real antivirus...that will get rid of the majority of infections right there I'd bet. OpenOffice would be better and cheaper than Works.

I've only had a BSOD and crash when I find stability for my OC. After finding the rock solid settings, I never ever had a single crash and BSOD with Windows. I have not restarted my pc 3 weeks now and still running like a newly started pc. I have not tried MAC yet but nothing will beat assembling your own toys and enjoying your own creation.

I think the important thing to remember here is that this Mac advertising campaign is not targeted toward us, the high-end PC user. It's targeted towards the average idiot who compulsively clicks on things like the flashing banner ads on myspace. These people are mentally and physically incapable of keeping their computer virus-free and in decent condition. Macs are good for these people, primarily because it keeps them from calling me every time they get a virus.

"...It's targeted towards the average idiot who compulsively clicks on things like the flashing banner ads on myspace. These people are mentally and physically incapable of keeping their computer virus-free and in decent condition..."

20021126.jpg

What can I say, Ctrl + Alt + De; is the bastion of anti-Mac humour.

But personnaly I have to say that Macs have 'potencial', They have it in that if Apple didn't overcharge for style over substance (I've seen an £1800 Mac laptop in the Apple Store which had the same specs as a £600 laptop in PC World) an didn't try to alienate heavy and compitent users, they would be much more appealing in my opinion.

Also, question: Most software is made for windows because windows is easier to program for or that almost every computer runs windows? I can't seem to come to a conclusion.

Is there any hardware functionality or software applications that operate on a Mac that do not on a PC platform? (and i dont mean os gadgets but rather things of substance)

Is there any hardware functionality or software applications that operate on a Mac that do not on a PC platform? (and i dont mean os gadgets but rather things of substance)

Until not too long ago, nearly all multimedia production was done on Mac because the PC versions available then--if they were available--weren't as good due to some OS limitation or another. I recall Photoshop 3.0 (I think that was the version) had just a single undo layer on PC; on Mac it was something like ten. Of course, these days that's not an issue.

That's why you'll find a lot of people in the media business using Macs. I've also observed that there are a lot of developers using them...I don't know if that's a new trend with OSX or if they've done it for years out of habit.

Also, question: Most software is made for windows because windows is easier to program for or that almost every computer runs windows? I can't seem to come to a conclusion.

It's cause almost every computer runs Windows. Why spend thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions to create a program that only 5% of the market could possibly use. Also who's to say the full 5% would even bother to get the program. This is essentially why Apple makes their own programs, cause no one else will. Back in the day, Apple use to charge companies for the right to create programs for the Mac.

------------

Anyways, I hate Mac ads. It reminds me of ads during election time. Bashing your opponent with rumours or distorting the truth a little/lot.

I also hate the double standards that is being pulled by the EU. Apple bundles so many programs with OSX, but when Microsoft does it, they get screwed.

(I've seen an £1800 Mac laptop in the Apple Store which had the same specs as a £600 laptop in PC World)
No, you haven't.

Back in the day, Apple use to charge companies for the right to create programs for the Mac.
No, they never did that.

I also hate the double standards that is being pulled by the EU. Apple bundles so many programs with OSX, but when Microsoft does it, they get screwed.
Microsoft has more money. It wouldn't make sense to fine Apple, when they can fine Microsoft for ten times more money.

Exposé. It may sound trivial, but trust me: it isn't. It's the single most important workflow-enhancer made to the GUI since non-modal dialogs.

It's cause almost every computer runs Windows. Why spend thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions to create a program that only 5% of the market could possibly use. Also who's to say the full 5% would even bother to get the program. This is essentially why Apple makes their own programs, cause no one else will. Back in the day, Apple use to charge companies for the right to create programs for the Mac.

------------

Anyways, I hate Mac ads. It reminds me of ads during election time. Bashing your opponent with rumours or distorting the truth a little/lot.

What's wrong with this? MS got real lucky by having the OS of choice at the time personal computers really hit the home market. Mac OS used to suck so bad, it really did. But now, OSX is the roXXXorrss. And ya know what? It's a wonderful thing that only 5% of the market share is for Apple because that's just less attention towards the users. Less viruses, less hackers, less problems to deal with. Also, the "closed architechure system" is a piece of mind IMO. Apple has more time to focus on helping to make more stable drivers.

I realize that you can't customize or play games on a Mac, but if you use a computer for more than just those two things, Macs are a great computers. Not to mention they are purrdy! :D

Microsoft has more money. It wouldn't make sense to fine Apple, when they can fine Microsoft for ten times more money.

There's more to it than that. Apple makes the OS, the apps, and the computer. They are the OEM as well as the developer. If Microsoft had their own branded computer, they could install whatever they wanted on it and not face lawsuits. It's that in the past they actively prevented computer manufacturers from installing competing products by integrating them into the OS.

I realize that you can't customize or play games on a Mac, but if you use a computer for more than just those two things, Macs are a great computers. Not to mention they are purrdy! :D

With the Macbooks grabbing more and more marketshare, we'll probably see more games cross-released on PC and Mac. That'd be nice, maybe Apple will finally give up the one-button mouse after a horde of gamers call wanting to know what all this "right mouse button" business is. :D

Normally I laugh those Mac commercials off as they're typically either assuming we're still using Win95 and some computer from the late 90's.
However, has anyone seen the new Vista one? You've got to admit it's funny and somewhat true.

What's wrong with this? MS got real lucky by having the OS of choice at the time personal computers really hit the home market. Mac OS used to suck so bad, it really did. But now, OSX is the roXXXorrss. And ya know what? It's a wonderful thing that only 5% of the market share is for Apple because that's just less attention towards the users. Less viruses, less hackers, less problems to deal with. Also, the "closed architechure system" is a piece of mind IMO. Apple has more time to focus on helping to make more stable drivers.

It's a wonderful thing that only 5% of the market share is for Apple? To me, that's a huge downside. You are, for the most part, very dependent on Apple to create programs. If I threw an hd-dvd or blu-ray drive into a Mac Pro, could I playback the movie? Would the drive even get recognized? I use a variety of different programs and hardware that the Mac simply doesn't support. There are no similiar alternatives close to what I used on a daily basis. ACDSee isn't available on Mac anymore.

A closed architecture system is the sole reason you end up spending so much $$ on a Mac or for repairs. My friend had to drive 100 miles to Cambridge to get his G4 fixed when the mobo died. Here in Japan, I'd have to haul a Mac on a 45 min train ride to central Tokyo to get it fixed. It'd take even longer and cost more money, if I had to drive there.

For a PC, a quick 2 min drive and I'd be at a place to get it fixed. That or simply call for tech support from a variety of different companies. We simply don't get such service for a Mac, even in a place as congested at Tokyo.

I use my computer for more than just gaming, but I do game. With a regular non-Mac PC, you don't have to make compromises. I can game, I can customize, I can do everything I want with it. Course for me, it fits my needs, while a Mac doesn't.

For some ppl, they don't need everything that I need. My parents for example. They'd be perfectly content with a Mac and it'd fit them very well. Everything they need is there and not like they'll be gaming.

There's more to it than that. Apple makes the OS, the apps, and the computer. They are the OEM as well as the developer. If Microsoft had their own branded computer, they could install whatever they wanted on it and not face lawsuits. It's that in the past they actively prevented computer manufacturers from installing competing products by integrating them into the OS.

Ten to one odds, that if Microsoft did make their own computers, they'd get fined by the EU for not allowing healthy competition. Like they choose to use Intel procs, at which point AMD would go to the EU or some crap.

Might as well fine Intel for giving Dell cutbacks for being exclusively Intel for years. Might as well fine Tecmo for having an exclusive deal with Microsoft to only produce DOA for the Xbox.

Also, they didn't actively prevent computer manufacturers from installing competing products into their OS. They simply put the program on the OS to try and keep users from bothering to get a new program. You can easily install Netscape on your computer today, just like in the past. It's just that there was no incentive to, if it's already in the OS. To actively prevent them from installing competing products, would be like...the firewall popping up and disallowing you to install Netscape.

Course Apple making an OS, apps, and computer. Them being an OEM, what does that have to do with anything? Can you make competing programs for OSX? Why aren't they fined? Why are they forced to released the closed portions of OSX to other developers to create programs? It's simply a double standard.

With the Macbooks grabbing more and more marketshare, we'll probably see more games cross-released on PC and Mac. That'd be nice, maybe Apple will finally give up the one-button mouse after a horde of gamers call wanting to know what all this "right mouse button" business is. :D

Actually, overall marketshare for them hasn't gone up. It went down for a while, then essentially came back up to where it was before. Close to 5%. It's highly unlikely we'll see a plethora of cross-released games for PC and Mac. Also with bootcamp available, they may just simply start releasing less and less games for Mac.

Apple also doesn't make a one-button mouse anymore. They make two button mice. The design of it simply blows ass and doesn't work all that great, imo.

It's a wonderful thing that only 5% of the market share is for Apple? To me, that's a huge downside. You are, for the most part, very dependent on Apple to create programs. If I threw an hd-dvd or blu-ray drive into a Mac Pro, could I playback the movie? Would the drive even get recognized? I use a variety of different programs and hardware that the Mac simply doesn't support. There are no similiar alternatives close to what I used on a daily basis. ACDSee isn't available on Mac anymore.

A closed architecture system is the sole reason you end up spending so much $$ on a Mac or for repairs. My friend had to drive 100 miles to Cambridge to get his G4 fixed when the mobo died. Here in Japan, I'd have to haul a Mac on a 45 min train ride to central Tokyo to get it fixed. It'd take even longer and cost more money, if I had to drive there.

For a PC, a quick 2 min drive and I'd be at a place to get it fixed. That or simply call for tech support from a variety of different companies. We simply don't get such service for a Mac, even in a place as congested at Tokyo.

I use my computer for more than just gaming, but I do game. With a regular non-Mac PC, you don't have to make compromises. I can game, I can customize, I can do everything I want with it. Course for me, it fits my needs, while a Mac doesn't.

For some ppl, they don't need everything that I need. My parents for example. They'd be perfectly content with a Mac and it'd fit them very well. Everything they need is there and not like they'll be gaming.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not dependent on Apple to make programs for me. I mean, even though I sport a lot of their software, I also have a ton of 3rd party apps such as WoW, Skype, Chicken of VNC, Adium, MacTheRipper, MS Office, jGrasp, etc. As far as the whole Boo-Ray/HD-DVD, you are right. Macs don't carry those optical drives yet. Even though Apple will prolly make the POOR decision to handle BR and BR only (Sony sucks), it's on it's way.

Closed-arch. Out of the 2 years that I've been going Mac, I've only had 1 problem with my iMac, but it was something I could take back and get another one in about 30 mins or so. I don't mind the drive. I agree with you on how PCs are easier to fix in terms of getting service or parts, that's a given.

If you game and/or customize, go with Windows no doubt. I run OSX, XP and Ubuntu Linux every single day and still do some CSS every once in a while. OSX is a great OS with some amazing features, you gotta admit that.

If you game and/or customize, go with Windows no doubt. I run OSX, XP and Ubuntu Linux every single day and still do some CSS every once in a while. OSX is a great OS with some amazing features, you gotta admit that.

I never said OSX was a bad OS. Course, many of the features were a ripoff from Longhorn. Yes, Longhorn's features were showcased way before OSX was out. It's just, Longhorn ended up having to be rebuilt from the ground up, since it wasn't going to work out the way they wanted. Many of the features from Longhorn showed up in OSX.

Yes, Longhorn's features were showcased way before OSX was out.
Actually, Mac OS X was first released a few months ahead of Windows XP. I don't seem to recall hearing anything about Longhorn back then.

Many of the features from Longhorn showed up in OSX.
Or you could say "many of the features in Tiger, showed up in Vista."

Or, if you want to do something drastic and stay away from the biased bullshit, you could say "the two operating systems have several features in common."

Actually, Mac OS X was first released a few months ahead of Windows XP. I don't seem to recall hearing anything about Longhorn back then.

Or you could say "many of the features in Tiger, showed up in Vista."

Or, if you want to do something drastic and stay away from the biased bullshit, you could say "the two operating systems have several features in common."

Black Morty Rackham is right.

In my experience there is such a huge Mac following because of the old days with Graphic Designers using Macs and persuading the new ones to use them as well. Eventually, all designers will love their Macs because there's no need to deal with a lot of Window's problems... although Macs aren't perfect.

Hush. You can't be reasonable in a Mac vs PC debate. It ain't natural. They'd have already lynched you on Slashdot :D

Yeah, tell me about it. :rolleyes:

To clarify further:

Microsoft did not start working on WinFS and desktop searching because of Spotlight. Apple did not start working on Spotlight because of some early pre-alpha of Longhorn. Keep in mind that it takes many, many years to develop stuff like this. Apple and Microsoft started working on it independently of each other.

Microsoft did not add Aero because they wanted to compete with the good looks & hardware acceleration of Mac OS X. They added it because XP looks like shit and is very very slow (in terms of GUI performance). The hardware acceleration in Vista will, in time, make it a lot snappier than XP ever was. That's why they started working on it. Not because of Apple. Fuck, what do they care about Apple? XP looks like shit, yet it's still a lot more popular than OS X ever will be.

Is it possible to run OSX on a virtual machine from inside Windows using like VMware or w/e that program is?

Back