New Lord of the Rings / Middle-Earth MMO

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
LOS ANGELES — Sept. 4, 2018 — Today, Athlon Games, a global publisher of console and PC games, announced it has signed a long-term licensing agreement with Middle-earth Enterprises to develop and publish a video game based on The Lord of the Rings. Athlon Games is working with a partner developer to create an online game set in the world of Middle-earth™ at a time long before the events of The Lord of the Rings, exploring lands, people and creatures never seen before by fans of the Tolkien universe.

Excellent news. LOTRO is on its last legs and is run by incompetent retards, and always was. These guys are in no way affiliated with Turbine or Standing Stone games, except for the ex-CEO of Codemasters, who ran the only good lotro servers way back in the day.

oHHH very nice, I'd sure like to play a good Lord of the Rings MMO, sounds fun!

I do like the lore of Middle Earth. Hopefully it's story focused and has epic raids

Athlon Games is a new publishing house owned by Hong Kong-based Leyou Technology Holdings Ltd. They bought up Digital Extremes, Splash Damage and Certain Affinity over the past couple years. These developers only have experience in first- and third-person shooters. Leyou's business model seems to be in the arena of freemium games, so I would expect a microtransaction fest of a game like Neverwinter. I hope I'm mistaken.

Athlon Games is a new publishing house owned by Hong Kong-based Leyou Technology Holdings Ltd. They bought up Digital Extremes, Splash Damage and Certain Affinity over the past couple years. These developers only have experience in first- and third-person shooters. Leyou's business model seems to be in the arena of freemium games, so I would expect a microtransaction fest of a game like Neverwinter. I hope I'm mistaken.

It cannot possibly be any worse than the pay2win model of lotro...

Ya, I saw that Amazon is now at the helm. Smedley taking charge is new to me. We'll see how that shakes out. I have a love/hate relationship with him.

Curious as to how this will look, more like the series I'm sure but will it look like the movies or something new altogether?

Yeah LOTRO is beyond a mess, I play it every so often and each time it seems worse and even more monetized. Buy this, buy points, buy a house, buy bags, buy access. I started playing back 2013 or so, and now I cant even imagine trying to do anything ingame anymore with the way it currently is.

LOTRO started out really good, and they initially at least did a great job with the world building and bringing Middle Earth to life. But as soon as it went "free to play" it went to crap. If I recall it went ftp really quickly too, like 1 or 2 years after release.

I had a friend who bought the lifetime sub to LOTRO during the beta..... man was she pissed when it went F2P a year or so later....

I played in beta and bought it before release, but I never really got into it, and by the time it went F2P I could see the massive downgrade in quality of life and general expereience in the game, and havent played since. I was pissed that the fact that I had BOUGHT the game mattered none at all, and I was given effectively the same game as all the F2P shitters, didnt even have access to every quest that was part of the original game that I **PAID FOR**. I wouldnt mind quests and storylines being limited past the ones part of the original game, but seeing as I paid $40 or $50 for the game itself, I should have kept access to all the goddamn quests and stories that were part of the game originally...

Im pretty iffy on a new LOTR MMO because of the expereience with LOTRO. I understand its a different company, but that doesnt take away the sour taste related to the entire franchise. Unfortunately thats something the overall owners of LOTR have to deal with.

Back