New Logitech controllers - F710, F510, F310

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
I just saw the new Logitech line of controllers earlier this week. These controllers are really interesting due to the physical switch to go between XInput mode and DirectInput mode.

Below is a quick wall-of-text summing up why I think this feature sets the new controllers over all previous PC controllers. Most of the below is probably common knowledge to many people here.

-------------------------------------------------------------

XInput is mainly used on the Xbox 360 controller which is widely considered to be the best controller for PC. Most newer games support XInput, which means that the games are auto-configured to work with the Xbox 360 controller.

The issue with this comes when using the 360 controller in a game made with DirectInput. While the 360 controller has DirectInput drivers, there is no force feedback available. Also, the two triggers are mapped to a single axis. For DirectInput games, this usually results into not being able to use the triggers at all, or being able to program them but not being able to use them both in game at the same time.

There are 3rd party DirectInput drivers for the 360 controller, but switching drivers every time I want to switch from an XInput game to a DirectInput game is a huge hassle. For this reason, I have always kept a Cordless Rumblepad 2 around for DirectInput games. This works somewhat, but I have found multiple XInput games that use a DirectInput controller if one is hooked up, leaving the 360 controller disabled. This results in me having to keep the Cordless Rumbledpad 2 unplugged, and then plugging it in when I want to use it. This is also a huge hassle.

I'll follow up more with some thoughts on the F710 that I just got in later. I wanted to get the conversation going since these new controllers have barely been mentioned so far.

What major games use DirectInput (and not Xinput)? I've played a few games (Dirt 2, Grid, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and maybe others that I can't think of at the moment) with my 360 controller and they all utilized the triggers and had force feedback. Are there any big games that don't use Xinput so you wouldn't have analog triggers and force feedback? I think I'll stick with my 360 controller for what few games I play that work better with them though.

What major games use DirectInput (and not Xinput)? I've played a few games (Dirt 2, Grid, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and maybe others that I can't think of at the moment) with my 360 controller and they all utilized the triggers and had force feedback. Are there any big games that don't use Xinput so you wouldn't have analog triggers and force feedback? I think I'll stick with my 360 controller for what few games I play that work better with them though.

You are listing fairly recent games. XInput games didn't start showing up until mid-2007.

My main program of use for DirectInput was PS1 emulators, but virtually any game before 2007 also would use DirectInput.

Nice...been looking for a controller that works on newer PC games that didn't have a godawful DPad like the 360 one.

I have used the 310 for 3 weeks now. I always wanted a controller shaped like the PS3 controllers and as easily recognized as the xBox360 controller. This one does exactly that. Mighty fine unit.

Can't you use the PS3 controllers on PC too (w/ BT adapter)?

Yes, but it's more expensive and you need to buy a seperate adapter and it's not easily recognized as a xbox 360 controller (as the logitech is). In essence, the Logitech is cheaper, easier to install and has a MUCH better compatibility because it's detected as a xbox controller.

its too bad the they are so expensive. hopefully they come down in price after a little while. id buy two wireless ones in a heartbeat if they were $35 shipped each.

Very happy with f310 for last month or so, played the new Lara game front to back, nice. I may get the wireless one for my living room pc.

Yes, but it's more expensive and you need to buy a seperate adapter and it's not easily recognized as a xbox 360 controller (as the logitech is). In essence, the Logitech is cheaper, easier to install and has a MUCH better compatibility because it's detected as a xbox controller.

PS3 controllers are only $40 on Amazon, and a bluetooth adapter from ebay is about $3 shipped.

I'd think about the 710 if the left analog stick and dpad weren't in the wrong places...

PS3 controllers are only $40 on Amazon, and a bluetooth adapter from ebay is about $3 shipped.

Correct, and i paid a whooping $24 for the logitech F310, so about half. And that's not even taking into consideration the second half of the sentence, where i talked about compatibility.

I haven't done extensive playing with the F710 yet, but in the short time I have used it, here are my notes:

DirectInput - XInput switch works great. In XInput mode, it automatically uses the Microsoft XInput drivers and has the same compatibility as my wireless 360 controller. In DirectInput mode, the controller is listed in Windows as a Cordless Rumblepad 2.

Force Feedback is significantly weaker than the wirelss 360 controller, but basically the same levels as the Coredless Rumblepad 2 that I have.

Since the buttons on the F710 are labeled like a 360 controller, DirectInput mode games that report the DirectInput assignments of button 1, button 2, etc can be confusing since they aren't labeled like that on the controller. I should note that they were labeled like that on the Cordless Rumblepad 2 and I never was able to memorize the button numbers, so this isn't a big deal. You just have to get the control scheme memorized for each specific game.

As far as the wirelss aspect, it seems fine at the 10 - 12ft range I have been using it at. The Logitech nano receiver is great compared to the large receivers for the 360 wireless controller and the Cordless Rumblepad 2. This controller would be better suited or laptop use than either of those because of this. Not to mention the 360 wireless receivers are notorious for blowing the F1 fuse.

The controller status application that installs for the 360 controllers also worsk with the F710 in XInput mode. The Logitech button in the center acts as the Xbox button and putlls up the status application in Windows. It correctly shows the connection status, but does not show the battery status that was shown for the wireless 360 controller. In GFWL games, the Logitech button correctly brings up the GFWL menu.

The PS3 controller isn't exactly plug-n-play when using in Windows. Last I checked, you had to use those 3rd party motionjoy drivers which didn't work with all bluetooth dongles and were not signed drivers.

It's been a while (because I prefer the 360 pad over the PS3), but I seem to recall just plugging in a usb cable and Windows (I thought it was Vista at the time) recognized the PS3 controller and it worked fine.

It's been a while (because I prefer the 360 pad over the PS3), but I seem to recall just plugging in a usb cable and Windows (I thought it was Vista at the time) recognized the PS3 controller and it worked fine.

Vista and 7 recognize the PS3 controller as a controller by just plugging it in, but it does not function without the 3rd party drivers.

How is the D-Pad on these controllers? The D-Pad on the 360 pad sucks. Hard.

Logitechs product page says it's a floating style dpad, but is it like the 360 or like, say, the sega saturn pad?

How is the D-Pad on these controllers? The D-Pad on the 360 pad sucks. Hard.

Logitechs product page says it's a floating style dpad, but is it like the 360 or like, say, the sega saturn pad?

Saw one at the store. Dpad sucks. Its basically like they took a 360 controller and fit it to a ps3 style case.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The newest 360 controllers will feature a fixed D-Pad. But the buttons are all gray and you have to pay $65 and they include charge packs (no choice not to).

Personally, I don't play any games that require heavy use of the D-Pad, but when I tried to play MK vs DC w/ my wife, I realized that it is criminally bad on the 360. At first I thought it was just her being a newbie, but no, the D-pad was designed by a retard.

Sounds very interesting this would be helpful. I think my kids will need these gadgets later on. I will do further research on it and check out some prices. Thank you all!

Sounds very interesting this would be helpful. I think my kids will need these gadgets later on. I will do further research on it and check out some prices. Thank you all!

huh

Back