New location for Quakecon, OUTSIDE of Texas?

Yea,it doesnt suprise me.I doubt it will actually happen but if it does it will hopefully moved to the center of the U.S.That way everyone can get there fairly easily.Will still be a 4-6 hour drive for me but oh well.Sounds like we Qconers have a lot to look forward to.

Don't forget, still have people coming from overseas, which means they have to go threw an international airport.

Only big reason this kinda sucks, is that Quakecon has always been held near ids offices in the past.

lt.murda said:
Yea,it doesnt suprise me.I doubt it will actually happen but if it does it will hopefully moved to the center of the U.S.That way everyone can get there fairly easily.Will still be a 4-6 hour drive for me but oh well.Sounds like we Qconers have a lot to look forward to.
Moving it to the middle of the US would be kickarse!! Since I live in Missouri I'd be looking at only a few hours drive at most :D

I live in NE Iowa, so a central location would be a shorter drive, would just be a little odd not being in Texas.

Sweet, I live in St. Louis but I doubt I'd drive to Quakecon......anyway.......

To make it fair to the contiguous US, wouldn't it have to be in the geographical center?

Two miles northwest of Lebanon, about 15 miles from the Nebraska border, is the geographical center of the United States.

Who wouldn't love a 300 mile drive from the Kansas City, MO international airport (about 6 hours) to a hay field? Not only that you would most likely triple the population.

Just a thought. :p

BigGuy said:
Who wouldn't love a 300 mile drive from the Kansas City, MO international airport (about 6 hours) to a hay field? Not only that you would most likely triple the population.

Just a thought. :p

Haha nice. You just burned everyone that lives there lol. I live around Pittsburgh, PA so I'ts gonna be quite a drive for me if I go no matter what. I just hope my parents let me go, it would be my first year.

St Louis would be cool as hell..but we in the area have no place that could host it...Nothing like the Gaylord in Dallas..Yes I have been twice...and a shorter drive would be sweet...even if they moved it to Chicago..that would be nice.

I drove last year - took a little over one day from North East Pennsylvania down to Grapevine, TX. :) Wherever they move closer should be much less to drive.

-J.

My guess is that it'll stay in Texas, but the Gaylord Texan is such a fucked venue (though it's gorgeous), id probably doesn't want to deal with them anymore...

I also live about 15 mins from the Gaylord :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO</vader>

Chris_Morley said:
My guess is that it'll stay in Texas, but the Gaylord Texan is such a fucked venue (though it's gorgeous), id probably doesn't want to deal with them anymore...

Why is it a fucked venue?

-J.

They should come to Richmond, VA we never get anything cool. We got an international airport and a huge convention center.

Aw man! But I like the cool bars in Dallas that where my friends in Dallas and I hung out at around 10PM, get s*&*t-faced drunk, get a taxi home after closing time (don't drink & drive), get some zzzz's, go back to QuakeCon, rinse and repeat.

chojin_1999 said:
Aw man! But I like the cool bars in Dallas that where my friends in Dallas and I hung out at around 10PM, get s*&*t-faced drunk, get a taxi home after closing time (don't drink & drive), get some zzzz's, go back to QuakeCon, rinse and repeat.

You missed the fun 2am frags =\

all nighters to freaking win. I slept for about 3hours the whole time.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
You missed the fun 2am frags =\

Bah! Then I need to do my drinking before Noon like normal people do.

GeForceX said:
Why is it a fucked venue?

-J.

I know I I felt very out-of-palce being there, as a gamer I mean. The couple of times I've been, I never LAN'd once (I pretty much only make the 6hr drive from Houston for the [H] workshop.), but just walking around you know the regular guests are pissed they booked that weekend ;)

(Oh, and since we're voting.... H-Town baby!)

The site is blocked from work, where does it say it is moving too? I have a gaylord center/hotel here in Nashville. That would be cool if it was here one year, because I am never spending the dough to go to TX just to play at a LAN.

Nomikal said:
Yes. california.
nodgrn8vn.gif

Better be some goddamn CTF though.

Dude, part of the best thing about taking off time to go to a LAN is being able to sleep in till 2pm after owning a bunch of sleep deprived noobs. It is like picking off the weakest amoung us, but it is funny to own a bunch of kids and watch them get all cranky about it because they haven't slept in 24 hours. : )

So, where does the article say that the new place is going to be? It is blocked from work.

It doesn't say where the new venue is. Sounds like they don't know yet. The Gaylord was awesome though. Super nice hotel. It was like a kickass vacation with games thrown in. My wife even enjoyed going as I'm sure a lot of other peoples significant others did as well. I'm surprised that the Gaylord let them have it there twice as all the Quakeconners just totally took over the hotel. Weren't exactly their normal guests. I for one will hate it if it's out of the state though. I can't afford the money for plane tickets for me and the wife or the pain in the ass of taking a PC like that. Driving the 4 hours was much easier.

It's just weird though. Id plus tons of other big game developers are in Dallas plus I'd bet more than 50-60% of the people that attend Quakecon are from the Dallas area. The turn out would be killed if they moved it out of Texas.

Plus I wonder about HardOCP and some of the others that have events at Quakecon. Could they really load up all the tons of stuff that they give away and do the event somewhere besides Dallas? Kyle, any opinions on this?

The Gaylord makes serious cash with the QuakeCon events. They are almost guaranteed that all their rooms will be booked. Aside from that, their bar overrun by gaming geeks who are used to drinking and playing games. It might just be a Texas thing, but beer/pizza is the staple of LAN gaming here.

Kansas City!!! Bartle Hall, that place isn't used for anything usefull... :D

Plus that's where I'm at... hopefully anything closer to KC will be nice as I'm looking at attending this year for the first time probably by myself or an [H]'er in the area.

Here at the U of north texas (less than 45 minutes from the gaylord, if that's where it's at) Quakecon shirts are SO common. I was like wtf, how can so many people afford to go game like that? But it makes sense for it to be here, within an hour from an international airport, tons of nearby hotels, and a handful of nearby colleges. It'll never be empty here in Dallas.

Back