New Lian Li PC-V354 m.atx case : Specification & Feature

Probably should make a separate thread for that MSI mobo to keep things from getting all jumbled about although it does have relevance here. One for the Biostar wouldn't hurt either if it doesn't already exist. Good to see new stuff finally making the scene.

Agreed, I will stay on topic. I bought this case because of this thread and it is sitting in pieces while all the other parts come trickling in after weeks of research. The build quality on the case begs for quality parts, just smaller :D I plan on doing a small pictorial for the [H] because they and their pictures were really helpful in my decision making.

Quick question - I have this case as a WHS box.
I have 4 drives and will be adding 2 more, wondering what everyone is using for cable management - ie, can you do much other than cable ties for 6 Sata cables and power cables?
I am using a modular PS

I hope that there is something that I can buy that will keep everything very clean with 6 sata cables, and reduce clutter.

Thanks

My case arrived today. Although I dont have a mobo yet I'm going to go ahead and start prepping the case. Its a beautiful looking case. Looks bigger in person but thats because its 16" long/deep. Two inches longer than my Qmicra V1 and four inches longer than my SG03. I havent decided whether to go dual ATI 6950 yet. I have one but waiting for mobo before deciding if I'll buy a second or not. :)

Edit: Just so people (those new to the thread anyway) know that this case really is not ideal for toting around for Lan parties. You could but I wouldn't want to lug it around its that big. Like the Qmicra its at the largest size for what I call a SFF case. This case is one for sitting at home which is what it'll do at my house as my main gaming rig. My SG03 will go back to tote/travel duty.

Edit 2: Just ordered the EX-553B slim ODD/HDD kit and some thumbscrews for my case. Now to find a slim DvD/CD drive to place in it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not so sure I want to spend that much for something that will be $150 at other places in the near future. I read in the mobo section some Micro Centers were selling them too but above their initial asking price. I hope Asus won't kick up the price due to the blunder and recall intel made. Hopefully the supply will open up quickly.

Quick question - I have this case as a WHS box.
I have 4 drives and will be adding 2 more, wondering what everyone is using for cable management - ie, can you do much other than cable ties for 6 Sata cables and power cables?
I am using a modular PS

I hope that there is something that I can buy that will keep everything very clean with 6 sata cables, and reduce clutter.

Thanks

Here's my intended answer to this process. I bought a few of these 6" sata cables to go from the mobo to the hd's that SHOULD be right there in the middle. I then bought two of these 6" straight connector cables for the bottom drives. I did the theoretical measurements from where the mobo sata headers should (there's that word again...) be and from all the pics I have seen in this forum. 6 inches should be a great straight shot from the board to the back and I might have to grab the 10" cable for the hd on the top most position(s) in the cages. I am also going modular with this Silverstone Strider psu with this PP05 short cable kit. I have the case and theoretically this should work out wonderfully. Case build pics to follow when H67 boards start coming into the market.

How is that for a build in progress that has no actual build yet? :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Meanwhile I'm waiting for thumbscrews and mounting bracket I ordered for V354 to come in. Tuesday supposedly since FedEx doesn't run on weekends.

Thumbscrews, check. Mounting bracket? Are you getting a new psu mounting bracket? Confused :confused:

Thumbscrews, check. Mounting bracket? Are you getting a new psu mounting bracket? Confused :confused:

No, I'm going to put in a mounting bracket in the top bay that allows for a 3.5" HDD and slim optical drive like Bradmax did in his V354. Its shown on page 24 of this thread. This will allow me to remove the drive cages to open up the case to make room for dual GPU and a Corsair H50 and increase air flow inside. At least that is the plan I have in mind.

Here's my intended answer to this process. I bought a few of these 6" sata cables to go from the mobo to the hd's that SHOULD be right there in the middle. I then bought two of these 6" straight connector cables for the bottom drives. I did the theoretical measurements from where the mobo sata headers should (there's that word again...) be and from all the pics I have seen in this forum. 6 inches should be a great straight shot from the board to the back and I might have to grab the 10" cable for the hd on the top most position(s) in the cages. I am also going modular with this Silverstone Strider psu with this PP05 short cable kit. I have the case and theoretically this should work out wonderfully. Case build pics to follow when H67 boards start coming into the market.

How is that for a build in progress that has no actual build yet? :D

Thanks - i will try it.
I was going to get 6 - 10" sata cables (4 - 90, 2 - 180 degree), but I think 6" might just work

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What is the most powerful cooler that fits without having to butcher it to the extreme? I am willing to cut a little, but I want to keep it sturdy.

What is the most powerful cooler that fits without having to butcher it to the extreme? I am willing to cut a little, but I want to keep it sturdy.

This was covered a little earlier in the thread but a lot of that depends on board and processor. If the socket is higher on one board than the next then you could be open to a whole other bevy of options. So which specific setup are you referring to?

Has anyone put a 130W processor under load in one of these chassis? I'm quite curious what sort of temperatures people are getting.

Finished my build :D

pic01f.jpg

pic02mw.jpg

pic03j.jpg

pic04.jpg

pic05v.jpg

pic06n.jpg

pic07j.jpg

pic08t.jpg

pic09i.jpg

pic10f.jpg

pic11s.jpg

pic12hy.jpg

pic13bv.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15y.jpg

pic16vy.jpg

pic17ch.jpg

pic18.jpg

Have an i2600K running at 4.6GHz without breaking a sweat. Very nice mobo. CPU temps are 33 idle, 68 under load. GTX 580 runs at 43 idle, not tested load.
As long as no load is placed on GTX 580, PC is quiet. As soon as GTX 580 ramps up it gets a bit noisy, but not unexpected.

Last edited:
Here are my specs:

LIAN LI PC-V354B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
$149.99

ASUS P8P67-M PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
$149.99

Palit GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$599.99

Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$299.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
$329.99

G.SKILL ECO 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO
$174.99
x2= $349.98

Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH250A2K5 2.5" 250GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$614.99

Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-206BKS
$129.99

Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm CPU Cooler and Case Fan
$24.99
x3=$74.97

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm SSO CPU Cooler
$59.94

Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm Case Fan
$29

Here are my specs:

LIAN LI PC-V354B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
$149.99

ASUS P8P67-M PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
$149.99

Palit GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$599.99

Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$299.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
$329.99

G.SKILL ECO 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO
$174.99
x2= $349.98

Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH250A2K5 2.5" 250GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$614.99

Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-206BKS
$129.99

Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm CPU Cooler and Case Fan
$24.99
x3=$74.97

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm SSO CPU Cooler
$59.94

Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm Case Fan
$29

Nice build! I'm so jealous of that SSD you have. I wish they were half that price then I might buy one. Too expensive for my wallet right now. Question about the case fans you chose. Do you think those Noctua fans lowered the sound considerably? I'm debating whether to swap out my factory ones for something else before I start building.

pic11s.jpg

Nice system. From the look of the above picture it seems like any ram with a heatsink that sticks up will have problems going in using this noctua cooler. Is it really touching like that?

Nice system. From the look of the above picture it seems like any ram with a heatsink that sticks up will have problems going in using this noctua cooler. Is it really touching like that?

I think the image below and the fan clip in the one you quoted give the answer:
pic13bv.jpg

(memory with taller heatsinks might work, but you'll have to figure out a way to attach fans to the Notcua cooler other than clips)

ok thanks. i have this case and a 2500k. waiting for asus pro board to get in stock somewhere and am ordering ram today with the promo they have over at the egg. im gonna go 2 x 4gb mushkin redline ridgeback and just use slots 2 &4 for dual channel

Nice pics! As for the prices -- are those list/MSRP or what you actually paid?

Unfortunately that's what I paid for them on NE :(
Pricey, but performance and quality is excellent. Am very happy with the system, and pleasantly surprised at how nice the ASUS board is. Overclocking to 4.6GHz was quick and easy, and above all stable.

With regards to the fan clips touching the RAM, yes they unfortunately do in the two areas highlighted, but I don't see it being a problem really.
RAM sinks were always out of the question for me hence why I went with the ECO G.Skills. They run tight timings and at only 1.35v run cool. They're also on the approved RAM list for the P8P67-M PRO which I suspect is why I don't get the 'double boot' issue a lot of folks have reported. Finally, they are the only 4GB sticks with XMP profiles on that approved list. I'm sure there is other RAM out there that would work fine, but was playing it safe.

With regards to the Noctua fans reducing noise, I've got to admit that I didn't even try the Lian Li fans so I can't honestly tell you, sorry. I presume so, but what I can tell you is that they don't have nasty blue LEDs. I wasn't too keen on chopping wires on the Lian Li fans as it would likely invalidate the case warranty. (in the highly unlikely event I ever need it ) ;)

Last edited:
I ordered a slim dvd drive and some case fans today. So that should be the last of the unordered components now. After some serious consideration I decided to replace the factory front blue lit fans in the case. I looked all over the net trying to find out what CFM and db levels they were. Near as I could find was that they may be 49cfm (unconfirmed) but I never could find out at what db level. So I decided to go with something else suspecting better could be had.

Note to manufacturers: Case manufacturers really need to give cfm and db info about their fans and post it either on their website or in their case manuals. Both would be ideal.

I had thought to use these Scythe fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006. I have used them in the past and they are very good fairly quiet fans. People been using these Noctua fans lately I hear due to their quietness and moving lots of air at the same time. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004&Tpk=Noctua NF-P12-1300.

The Scythes are cheaper and move a bit more air but the Noctuas are more quiet supposedly. I decided to try the Noctuas and see if I like them or not. See if they are all what people say they are. I guess if moving air is more important then go with the Scythes but if quiet is key then the Noctuas. Budget will play into this as well. I'll report back my finding after the build is complete. Which will be next weekend most likely.

The blue fans are 1200RPM and probably 38CFM @ 25dBA.

This case has more exhaust fans (slots) than intake fans, so you'll want a higher CFM for the intake fans.

Has anyone SLI'ed GTX 580s in this case? If so, how did it work out for you heat and noise wise?
Concerned about idle noise. Under load is not a problem as I use headphones, both SLI or GTX 590 will always be noisy when gaming.

If I can get two 6950s into this case then two 580s will fit easily as well. Noise is gonna be card problem not a case problem. Cooling will depend on how much stuff you try to put in the case. For example if you only want a one or two hdd then you shouldn't have much cooling problems because you can remove one or both cages and open up the area for better cooling. If you plan to fill up both cages with drives then it could get a bit harder to cool things but it still should be doable depending on what you use.

For example; I've opted to use only one hdd and am using a replacement bracket that will fit a slim drive and a 3.5" hdd into the existing upper bay. This will allow me to remove the two cages below to open up a large area of the case. Air should move pretty freely inside there with all that open space. Especially with the better case fans I ordered and a H50 to cool the cpu.

I'd say if you want to use one or both hdd cages then stick to 10.5" GPUs or smaller for better cooling.

For example; I've opted to use only one hdd and am using a replacement bracket that will fit a slim drive and a 3.5" hdd into the existing upper bay. This will allow me to remove the two cages below to open up a large area of the case. Air should move pretty freely inside there with all that open space. Especially with the better case fans I ordered and a H50 to cool the cpu.

I'd say if you want to use one or both hdd cages then stick to 10.5" GPUs or smaller for better cooling.

Thanks for the info Skott. With regards to your HD sitch, how about you go with a 2.5 inch drive and mount to the base of the case, that way you don't need any drive cages and can go with a full size DVD. Check pics above for example.
Slim drive doesn't look so good IMO, it breaks up the smooth lines :)

Thanks for the info Skott. With regards to your HD sitch, how about you go with a 2.5 inch drive and mount to the base of the case, that way you don't need any drive cages and can go with a full size DVD. Check pics above for example.
Slim drive doesn't look so good IMO, it breaks up the smooth lines :)

Yes, that can be done but in my situation I find the SSD drives still too expensive for my taste. Someday I'll move to SSDs but not right now. Also that replacement bracket I mentioned allows either a 3.5 hdd or two SSD drives along with the slim optical drive. This case does allow for a lot of storage possibilities if one wanted to load it up with drives.

New Fans and slim drive arrived today. Now to put it together, Got a four day weekend starting Friday so that is what I'll be doing this coming weekend.

New Fans and slim drive arrived today. Now to put it together, Got a four day weekend starting Friday so that is what I'll be doing this coming weekend.

Same here. All of the stuff is slowly shipping in from all over. One cpu cooler and 2 hd's away from an exciting weekend of server building!

I need to get out more...

Skott, can you post some pics?

Same here. All of the stuff is slowly shipping in from all over. One cpu cooler and 2 hd's away from an exciting weekend of server building!

I need to get out more...

Skott, can you post some pics?

I'm going to try. I'm not one much for taking pics while I work. I'm a slow poke enough as it is. I'm also digital camera challenged. I'll see if I can borrow the wife's camera and take a few shots as I go. Anything in particular you wanted to see?

Taking the hard drive cage out, I wonder if this case can fit a 6950 with the Accelero Extreme Plus?

Taking the hard drive cage out, I wonder if this case can fit a 6950 with the Accelero Extreme Plus?

Yes - I have a GTX580 which is the same length (10.5 inches) with an Accelero Extreme Plus in this case with both hard drive cages removed.

Great to hear. I'm in the process of putting together a SFF system with this case, an ATI 6590 and wanted a better HSF solution for the GPU. Thanks!

I already pulled the HD cages out. They been out since I got the case. Simple to do really. You want a shot of how it looks without the cages I presume? I'm thinking the first thing I'm going to do is fit the hdd and the slim optical into the new bracket and then put it into the top 5.25 bracket. Bradmax showed this back on page 24 if anyone wants to see it. I'm basically copying him. It was from him I got the idea.

Also to add a little as to why I'm going with a slim drive and hdd combo bracket and pulling the hdd cages. The thought is this. I'm going to use a 6950 GPU unlocked up to a 6970. I'm thinking I'm going to want to add a second 6950 later down the road. Unlocked as well. That plus I'm planning on adding a H50 (I'd go with a H60 but I already had the H50 sitting ready) rad to the front lower fan. I want as much open space in front of the GPU area and CPU/mobo as possible to increase air flow. Hence moving to a bracket that holds a slim optical and a 1TB hdd. Most of my builds consist of one hdd so I won't miss room for more I'm thinking. Although I'd say using the existing cages is practical if one wanted a full size optical and more than one hdd.

I could add some SSDs if I wanted to this config because there is spots for two of them on the case floor but SSDs are too expensive and too low capacity for my liking. When they can get a good 500GB SSD down to $200 or so then I'll jump on the SSD wagon. Until then I'll stick to traditional 7200rpm and 10,000rpm 3.5" drives. Yeah, I know. Not very extreme thinking but meh. :)

Building starts tomorrow. :D

Anything in particular you wanted to see?

I have learned so much with the pictures and builds of people here. It is why I bought the case in the first place. I just find it very informative when you can see what somebody has done and how it fits in this case. There are many different approaches and I am probably doing the opposite of you. I am going H67 integrated video and stuffing this thing with drives for server duty. I am not even going to install an optical drive, I never plan on using one. I was toying with a raid card but I am going to wait for WHS v2 first to come out.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever figure out what thumb screws work for the side cover of this case? I remember seeing a picture with thumb screws and asking the person where they got them, but I either never got a response, or didn't check this thread enough.

Back