New Lian Li PC-V354 m.atx case : Specification & Feature

Alright, this thread is the best resource on the net. Believe me, I have read all the reviews but just people using this thing and posting here is outstanding. So here is my deal. I have been waiting for this case to come back in stock for over a month and a half. When it did, I was in time to grab one. So I receive the case and what do you know, Intel's SB goes and gets recalled. I have a little extra time to research now so here are my questions for the [H]orde:

-I see one of the preferred cpu coolers is the Noctua NH-U9B SE2. I am fine with that cooler but I really wanted to use a Coolermaster Hyper 212+. I prefer a bigger slower fan for airflow and the Coolermaster is just a great cooler for the money. I am worried about size though. I wanted to do a North/South orientation. Does anybody have a Hyper 212+ installed and can verify it will be a winner? Other suggestions based on my preferences?

-I have a Antec Earthwatts 500 watt psu that I just happen to get for a good deal that I plan on using. Problem here is that due to space the single bundle or wires appears to be a hassle. Are all of you using modular psu's happy that you went modular or is there enough space behind the hd's to stuff the extras? I am only building a server box so I won't need a monster psu.

-Fans. I am going to get rid of the blue fans on the front. I want it to be as inconspicuous as possible. Just sit there and spit out data. I was going to go with Scythe Gentle Typhoons to replace them because I have had great experiences with them before and with the built in fan controller I figure I can throw in the 1850 rpms and just dial them in. Maybe the 1450's to make sure I keep the 140mm fan in step as well. There are a million fans on the market but I just want a good mix of low noise with decent airflow. Opinions?

You can probably fit larger coolers in a south/north configuration as it would just clear the PSU, however installing the fan(s) might be an issue as it would interfere with the PSU. The reason for the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 is because it fits below the PSU when in stalled.

If your using a non-modular PSU, you can probably place the cabling on the bottom of the case or behind the HDD rack. However getting a modular PSU would be better as it does get tight in there. Space is a premium.

I've been tempted to replace the front Lian Li case fans with either the Sycthe S-Flex 1200rpm or the Noctua P-12. The reason for these two fans is because they provide high static pressure especially when you combine that with the front filters of the case. Currently I have a coolermaster blue LED exhaust fan (taken from my old PC), a Noctua 140mm top fan and the two standard lian li fans on the front. All of them are connected to the fan controller and when turned on high you can hear the slight hum of the front fans (this is having the PC on the table and next to my monitor)

After waiting for it a month to come back from the powder coaters its finally done.

DFI X58jr
i7 920 DO
Prolimatech Megahalem
EVGA 460
6GB G.Skill pc3-1280
Coolermaster Silent pro 700W
120GB OCZ Vertex2 + 64GB G.Skill Falcon
not really happy with the temps dough. im reaching 65c after 20min of LinX on stock.

newpc002.jpg

newpc003.jpg

newpc004.jpg

newpc005.jpg

newpc006.jpg

newpc007.jpg

newpc008.jpg

newpc009.jpg

newpc010.jpg

newpc011.jpg

Jaws hits the floor:eek: That is one sweet looking Mod. Makes my stock black V 354 look like, like, like ....shit!;)

So I was doing some research based on your recommendation of fully modular psu's for this case and I came across a good combination. I am leaning towards buying this Silverstone psu with these handy little shortened cables to go with it. I think it would be nice to be able to install everything and then run the cabling afterwords based on the way the case dictates build order.

@TheHolyGhost-Did you keep your psu intake pointed towards the case side? In the early build it looks like you have it breathing from the inside but you turned it around in later pics.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@Kenworth - yeah the psu intake pointed towards the case side. i tried both sides and it was exactly the same.

@ the337/ fsh42na - thank you guys.

@holyghost: you using the top case fan to push air through the Prolima Megatherm? I'm wracking my brains as I accumulate parts for this build. I have access to a Coolermaster Hyper 212, Noctua 9 SE; CoGage Truespirit; a Thermalright 120 extreme and a Corsair H50 water cooling unit (I'm a hoarder, what can I say:D). I'll be sitting down this weekend and will get started with this much anticipated build. What's been holding me back is deciding on which cpu cooler to use.

@fsh42na- right now im using the top fan to push air to the megahalem. but i added another fan in between the top fan and the heatsink. so there are 2 fans mashed up together... i will try and post a pic tomorrow.

I got a question for you V354 owners. I'm considering picking up one of these come tax return time and I'm considering stuffing in a hyper 212+ into it.

Given that a site has been able to install a hyper tx3 into it in an east-west config with room to spare, I just need to know if the hyper 212 plus' heatpipe tips will contact the PSU. Can any of you guys who are running HDT's give a measurement from the heatpipe tips to the PSU and the fins to the PSU?

Last edited:
I got a question for you V354 owners. I'm considering picking up one of these come tax return time and I'm considering stuffing in a hyper 212+ into it.

Given that a site has been able to install a hyper tx3 into it in an east-west config with room to spare, I just need to know if the hyper 212 plus' heatpipe tips will contact the PSU. Can any of you guys who are running HDT's give a measurement from the heatpipe tips to the PSU and the fins to the PSU?

The motherboard has alot to due with what will fit since CPU socket placement can either make or break the configuration.

that's what i'm trying to determine: that if i purchase a board with a lowered cpu socket, would I have the clearance to install the HDT without issue or would I have to change out the HDT for a new one.

that's what i'm trying to determine: that if i purchase a board with a lowered cpu socket, would I have the clearance to install the HDT without issue or would I have to change out the HDT for a new one.

ok.. Apparently I wasn't clear.. WHAT BOARD ARE YOU USING?

I think he's just trying to determine if it'll clear, regardless of the board.

but that cant be answered without knowing what board.. Hence he is asking for a measurement from the heatpipes to the PSU.. 2 boards of the same chipset from different manufacturers could still be vastly different.

has anyone tried the Noctua 9 SE in front-back (west-east) configuration with this case?

Heads up folks, Scythe Mugen Rev 2B will not fit in this case, as it occupies same space as the PSU.

I shoulda done my homework. Any suggestions for a cooler, as I get ready to read through 30 pages? lol

img8090dl.jpg

ps. board is Asus P8P67-M PRO Socket 1155

Well, after reading the thread, figured I need to pick up CM Hyper 212 Plus or Noctua U12P. Before going to the store tomorrow thought I would do a quick check.

booooourns.jpg

Yaaay. As you can see on P8P67-M placement of the the CPU is quite a bit more centered, and pretty much sits under the PSU. Looks like I am stuck with Noctua C12P or similar short poop.

After a lifetime with Shuttles, thought I would finally enjoy the luxury of a 'full case' with all its perks and whistles. Blah to this.

PS. Awesome case though, really nice quality.

@t10 The ProlimaTech Armageddon may just fit. Its a tower HSF with 50mm width (plus 25mm thick fan on one side). With the fan mounted on the top pulling toward the top exaust it may work. How wide is the CPU socket on your board measuring North\south?

Well, after reading the thread, figured I need to pick up CM Hyper 212 Plus or Noctua U12P. Before going to the store tomorrow thought I would do a quick check.

Yaaay. As you can see on P8P67-M placement of the the CPU is quite a bit more centered, and pretty much sits under the PSU. Looks like I am stuck with Noctua C12P or similar short poop.

After a lifetime with Shuttles, thought I would finally enjoy the luxury of a 'full case' with all its perks and whistles. Blah to this.

Alright 2 things as you are being a very patient little guinea pig for us all and as I ramp up towards my build in this case-

1. Are you running a P67 on the B2 controller?! I am just waiting for the new boards to come out and then it is full steam ahead. Just wondering your scenario.

2. That Scythe Mugen does look like a no go in any orientation, that thing is a beast. MAYBE a Hyper 212+ or the Noctua U12P but if you look at the site for the Scythe, the site for the Noctua, and the site for the Coolermaster, you will see they are all measured at 158mm in height with the Coolermaster coming in with 158.5mm. With what it looks like maybe a North/South might work. Keep us posted?

booooourns.jpg

exactly what was that measurement? hard to tell from the photo.

exactly what was that measurement? hard to tell from the photo.

It's more of using a tape measure as a level kind of thing .. shows that if the HSF extends below the point where the tape measure touches the CPU socket AND is tall enough then it won't fit.

that's one way of putting it.

now if we knew what that measurement read, we'd know exactly what the maximum height of a heatsink can be with boards that have a lowered CPU socket like that.

It's more of using a tape measure as a level kind of thing .. shows that if the HSF extends below the point where the tape measure touches the CPU socket AND is tall enough then it won't fit.

Roger.

Ended up picking up NH-C12P:

sink1.jpg

sink2.jpg

sink3.jpg

NH-C12P is 114mm tall including the fan
About ~13mm left once it is installed, between the PSU and the FAN.

Hence any coolers under 125mm (to be safe) should fit.

Very nice cases here. I really am getting pumped up about starting a build for portable gaming with HTPC functionality Seeing work done on the [H] Motivates me.

Roger.

Ended up picking up NH-C12P:

sink3.jpg

NH-C12P is 114mm tall including the fan
About ~13mm left once it is installed, between the PSU and the FAN.

Hence any coolers under 125mm (to be safe) should fit.

My same question to you. Are you going to run with the psu fun facing out as well? Is there enough air there and is it because it places the psu in a better position with the cabling?

Sad to see you go with the NH-C12P, only because I wanted to see how the tower coolers would have faired :p I still think I am going to find my mobo that seems like a north south would work by clearing the heatpipe tips above the psu based on the cooler. Now where are those H67 boards...

Wouldn't you be better off with an NH-U9B rather than the NH-C12P?
To me it seems the NH-U9B would push hot air out the top 140mm vent, rather than down onto the mobo and ram as the NH-C12P would do?
I'm trying to decide between the two, does anyone know which would be best?
Thanks!

Wouldn't you be better off with an NH-U9B rather than the NH-C12P?
To me it seems the NH-U9B would push hot air out the top 140mm vent, rather than down onto the mobo and ram as the NH-C12P would do?
I'm trying to decide between the two, does anyone know which would be best?
Thanks!

I tend to agree with you which is why I am really trying to figure out if the a 120mm tower will work in the config I want to build. I wanted to stay away from a cooler like the NH-C12P. I only plan on running a server but I would like to see how t10's rig's temps run.

The clearance for the RAM with NH-C12P is very good.
I could probably take a stick out with the cooler installed if I wanted to.

This should help you decide on ram compatibility:
nh_c12p_measurements.jpg

The PSU was installed facing out because:
-others did same in this thread
-The supplied manual with the case suggests this way also
-Making it face the video card, will make the PSU try to suck in the very same air as the videocard, thus reducing the air flow for both (I would assume).
-There is about a cm of clearance with the PSU facing out, and the intake fan (I only left one), blowing cool air toward the PSU and the video card should be sufficient.

As far as NH-U9B, it uses a smaller fan. I like big fans as I would rather have a quieter rig, even if it was a fer degrees warmer. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but the FAN on NH-C12P is almost completely out of the way of the top exhaust fan. So it will suck in air, push the air through the fins, which later will be sucked up by the exhaust fan, as with my orientation the fins are facing vertically: | | | | | |

Once an OS is installed I will let you know of the temps.

PS. My first mod, was to snip the wires going to LEDs on the fan. Seriously, who thought LEDs were a good idea lol.

the intake fan (I only left one), blowing cool air toward the PSU and the video card should be sufficient.

This case is designed with positive air pressure in mind. Removing the 2nd front fan changes it to negative air pressure. This will result in:

Increased dust build up inside the case
Increased GPU fan speed as it has to fight negative air pressure trying to enter the rear vent
Increased case temps (the latter due reduction in number of fans, not related to positive\negative pressure)

In my experience positive air pressure leaves more dust than negative.

You are probably correct regarding the GPU fan, but that only comes into play when I am gaming and the fans spin up. In the middle of the night with less fans overall sound pollution will be lower.

My understanding is that the NH-U9B is uber quiet (despite the smaller fans), but I'll know as soon as I get my P8P67-M Pro.
C'mon Asus, ship 'em!

Not much for sales... If you are lucky, they might include it on their 10% off sale, those ever only cover your shipping costs and ive never seen the V354 on that list.. (its always just their most sold ATX cases and a few small ITX cases)

Its funny. I checked NE today and they were saying 3/6/2011 as their date when they would be in stock again. It had been pushed back a couple times since they last had them in stock. Got home a little while ago and checked email and sure enough the auto notification said they had the black case in stock. Just ordered mine. Now all I need is a 2500K CPU and that Asus P8P67-M PRO mobo to complete my build. :)

I agree with Kaizer these cases are very popular and fairly new so you won't see much of a sale anywhere until probably late in the year during Black Friday or holiday sale if even then. Lian-Li is having a hard time keeping them in stock. I saw one place selling them for $199 on their website. Even performancepc sells them for more than NE and they were out of stock when I checked there earlier today.

Edit: It shipped yesterday (Friday) so I should get it Monday or Tuesday. Now, if I could just get them to release the improved P8P67-M Pro I could build this sucker.

Last edited:
Probably should make a separate thread for that MSI mobo to keep things from getting all jumbled about although it does have relevance here. One for the Biostar wouldn't hurt either if it doesn't already exist. Good to see new stuff finally making the scene.

Back