New Lian Li PC-V354 m.atx case : Specification & Feature

Silverstone Cooling Pros:

Less obstructions in the airflow path (eg no drive cages in front of video\CPU, no PSU over expansion cards)
Air flow layout assisted by natural convection (heat rising)
Exhaust fan directly over video card
Fits larger tower heatsinks (165mm vs 130 mm)
PSU has decicated intake\exhaust vents so its heat is seperate from the system

In order for the cases to be on an equal playing field then the v354 would need to be running without the extra drive cage.. So taking that into account let me redo your silverstone pro's list..

Less obstructions in the airflow path (eg no drive cages in front of video\CPU, no PSU over expansion cards) no Drive cages infront of video cards, & unfortunitly for the silverstone it doesnt have a PSU sucking the heat off the expansion cards exhausting it out of the case.
Air flow layout assisted by natural convection (heat rising) Uhmm same thing applies in the v354 given that big fan spot right in the top of the case. Infact due to being able to take multiple fans in the top half of the case edge would go to the v354
Exhaust fan directly over video card Not sure what your talking about here.. The video card is exhausting itself upwards so there is no exhaust fan above the video card.
Fits larger tower heatsinks (165mm vs 130 mm) this is the only edge the FT03 actually has ve the v354 in cooling
PSU has decicated intake\exhaust vents so its heat is seperate from the system and you think thats a pro? That only helps keep the PSU cooler, not the rest of the system. Otherwise the PSU exhaust works to help suck heat out of the system. Especially when its up against hot components such as a video card.

And a Big difference not pointed out here is that if you were to attempt to run 2 large video cards in the ft03 you loose all your forced airflow over the video cards. As you would have to remove the fan in order to get the 2nd card in there.

In order for the cases to be on an equal playing field then the v354 would need to be running without the extra drive cage.. So taking that into account let me redo your silverstone pro's list..
Unless you have no optical drive then you need at least 1 cage in, which means at least half the intake fans are obstructed.

no Drive cages infront of video cards, & unfortunitly for the silverstone it doesnt have a PSU sucking the heat off the expansion cards exhausting it out of the case.
The silverstone has a 92mm exaust fan over the video cards *without* any obstruction (eg having to pass through the PSU)

Uhmm same thing applies in the v354 given that big fan spot right in the top of the case. Infact due to being able to take multiple fans in the top half of the case edge would go to the v354
V354 airflow path is is front-to-back not bottom-to-top. Both cases have 2x exhaust fans. V354 does have larger exhausts, which *might* help the Lian-Li catch up in temps, however it creates negative air-pressure which causes more dust build up inside the case. The Silverstone has positive air pressure.

Not sure what your talking about here.. The video card is exhausting itself upwards so there is no exhaust fan above the video card.
There is a 92mm fan mount above the expansion cards, it is an angled duct that exhausts out a grill on top of the case next to the expansion slots.

this is the only edge the FT03 actually has ve the v354 in cooling
Not really, see other reasons listed

and you think thats a pro? That only helps keep the PSU cooler, not the rest of the system. Otherwise the PSU exhaust works to help suck heat out of the system. Especially when its up against hot components such as a video card.
Keeping the PSU cooler (instead of intaking hot GPU exhaust) is a good thing. Besides the FT03 does have fans exhausting air above the video card as mentioned.

As I mentioned in my previous post, all of this is just speculative on both our parts anyway, as there are no reviews with performance data yet.

And a Big difference not pointed out here is that if you were to attempt to run 2 large video cards in the ft03 you loose all your forced airflow over the video cards. As you would have to remove the fan in order to get the 2nd card in there.
It has been mentioned. There are 2x 80mm fan mounts under the 120mm fan adaptor if you wish to run 2x long video cards. (which should give similar temps, at a slightly higher noise level)

Last edited:
blah blah blah

So the point of all that was to say that when you get big hardware in the silverstone you can put more fans in it that are just smaller & louder, but move less air.. Sure got it.. I think I will pass..

But the block looks less classy sadly... No one wants a mate black square with a giant white CORSAIR staring at you...

Yea, But i believe in keeping things look nice and classy on the inside too whether its Computer, Cars or Women, No one wants to take a peek inside and see big white Corsair, oil or the CLAP

Be interesting to see if it performs any better or at least quieter, the logo could easily be removed if thats the only bugbear :)

Does this have room for a MSI GTX 460 Cyclone? It looks like the cyclone's heatsink would run into the PSU...

Does anyone who has the case finds the top mounted 140mm fan to be quite noisy, regardless of speed?

It appears to be motor noise, it's almost a whiring sound. I'm wondering if this is typical, or if i should email lian-li and ask for a replacement.

But the block looks less classy sadly... No one wants a mate black square with a giant white CORSAIR staring at you...

EASILY remedied, make a sticker the size of the top of the thing with a big [H] on it! :D

Actually I do like this design though and the waterblock itself maybe refined which could help with temps some over the H50, only way to confirm that is by testing though.

Does anyone who has the case finds the top mounted 140mm fan to be quite noisy, regardless of speed?

My refrigerator is louder than my computer. That said, I still have not noticed any fan noise from the 140mm @900RPM. I can hear it but it isn't any louder than the other fans.

Did you reverse the top fan's direction so that it blows down? Remember that if you put the open-side of a fan against the case, it will cause whirling noise.

If not, then maybe your fan is bad.

Remember that if you put the open-side of a fan against the case, it will cause whirling noise.

If not, then maybe your fan is bad.

Explain? ...
I reversed the direction of the top fan, changing it to an intake. So that Air flow flows from the top, through the hyper 212 + Fan, and out the sloted pci vents, and the psu fan.
Interestingly the corsair builder 400 series psu seemed to be a good fit for the case, cheap, and the cables aren't ridiculously long.

If I take the fan out of the case, I can hear the whirring noise regardless. Unfortunately, the email box for support of lian-li is full... and I'm not sure how to get a replacement. I don't want to rma the case for a fan or two...

Otherwise the case is great...for it's intended purpose.

Last edited:
Hey all, this seems to be one of the biggest discussions on this case that I can find anywhere, so probably a good place to put this.

I am considering building a HTPC with this case, and was going to use a Seasonic X-400 fanless PSU. However one point of concern for me is that this case doesn't really appear to have any ventilation holes around the PSU. Naturally this means that the unvented side of the PSU will be facing the case 'wall', while the vented side faces the CPU cooler. Is heat going to be an issue here? Anyone running a Seasonic fanless in this case?

Also, the front dust filters with the intake fans, are these a pain to remove for cleaning, or quite easy? What is involved in removing them?

Finding a HTPC case which fits my entertainment unit and meets my other requirements has been quite a struggle. This one appears to fit the bill nicely. I suppose even if the fanless PSUs don't cool amazingly well in this, I can always use a quiet fan one.

Thanks

Explain? ...

@avddreamr:
Take a look at this fan for a visual reference.

The side facing you is the open side. If you rotate the fan 180, then the support side will face you. (It has the plastic that holds the fan in the frame.) If you mount the open side against a case, it makes a whirling noise much louder vs the support side. Fans make noise, but mounted that way the case will echo the noise louder. I'm not an audio engineer, but that's always been the situation with every fan I've used (big or small).

With longer screws and 1cm spacers between the case and the fan, the noise should decrease. Or you could just buy a better 140mm fan.

@kujaroth:
Regarding the Seasonic X-400 fanless PSU, I would not recommend this power supply. It appears you must mount the power supply with the top vent facing up. This cannot be done with the V354, because the power supply is mounted sideways.

However, their X-560 with a fan would be a good alternate choice.

question for those of you using the megahalem or another heavy heatsink for the cpu. do you notice the side of the case bending at all (since the right side acts as the motherboard tray)?

question for those of you using the megahalem or another heavy heatsink for the cpu. do you notice the side of the case bending at all (since the right side acts as the motherboard tray)?

I can't directly answer your question however the side panel is really solid piece of aluminum. It doesn't even flex or bend at all. Moreover the side panel is attached to the case via 8 screws.

@kujaroth:
Regarding the Seasonic X-400 fanless PSU, I would not recommend this power supply. It appears you must mount the power supply with the top vent facing up. This cannot be done with the V354, because the power supply is mounted sideways.

However, their X-560 with a fan would be a good alternate choice.

Thanks for that. I will keep that in mind :)

Does anyone have any insight on the fan filter issue? (Specifically, how easy it is to remove and clean them on a periodic basis). If the filters require a virtual disassembly of the case to clean, that won't be happening too often...

Anyone else find it annoying that noone is providing any info on the tubing length of these coolers?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cooler...uid_Cooling_Solution_for_Microprocessors.html

Newest one from Antec...

The real question is how does it stack up against the H50 and H70 since they are the most popular of these types of coolers. Its good to see Corsair get some more competition even though Antec's looks like a knock off of Corsair's. It should however breed better products down the road as competition heats up in this segment.

Hi - Will the Corsair 1000HX fit in here? I'm assuming it will from the pictures.

Yes it will.. In this case there is really nothing limiting the length of a PSU since its in a piss poor spot to begin with.

First off hello people! I'm David new to this board. :)
My first mini question would be if the front Lian Li label is easy to remove?

(edit) Maybe bit silly question to you experts :S

Last edited:
It may be not that difficult to remove, but you will not get a smooth flat surface after the removal:
IMG_8611.jpg

IMG_8610.jpg

No, not V534 (I thought I was replying to a different thread). Agree, that with the vented front panel like V354 has, those two extra holes are not destroying the looks. Quite frankly, I was pretty apprehensive about large shiny logo (and wanted the older square logo to come back or no logo at all), but once I got my case I stopped having that emotion. It actually looks quite good.
v354-04.jpg

Hi Guys,

Been reading this post before purchasing my new rig. I have the following:
- Intel Core i7 950 (stock)
- Asus Rampage III Gene
- OCZ Vertex 2 E 120Gb SSD
- WD Caviar 1Tb WD1002FAEX (SATA3)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
- Corsair HX850 PSU
- Pioneer BDR-206BK
- Corsair Vengeance RAM 12GB (3 x 4Gb)
- Lian Li PC-V354 Black

Just wondering if some of you guys use the 'stealth' optical drive door as when I use mine, the BD burner touches the memory heatsinks. I've actually taken that drive door out.

Anyway, here are some pics:
Cables are loomed and neatly cable tied/velcroed
DSC_1847_018.JPG

Once PSU gets put in, cable management looks crap....
DSC_1851_022.JPG

When its turned on.
DSC_1852_023.JPG

Hi Guys,

Been reading this post before purchasing my new rig. I have the following:
- Intel Core i7 950 (stock)
- Asus Rampage III Gene
- OCZ Vertex 2 E 120Gb SSD
- WD Caviar 1Tb WD1002FAEX (SATA3)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
- Corsair HX850 PSU
- Pioneer BDR-206BK
- Corsair Vengeance RAM 12GB (3 x 4Gb)
- Lian Li PC-V354 Black

Just wondering if some of you guys use the 'stealth' optical drive door as when I use mine, the BD burner touches the memory heatsinks. I've actually taken that drive door out.

Anyway, here are some pics:
Cables are loomed and neatly cable tied/velcroed

If you turn the hdds the other way makes it a litle tidier, but yours still looks good :)

Yes, I did exactly what you did with the DVD burner. I took out the case's front plate; the drive's front is black too, looking perfect.

What do you have for a CPU cooler?

You could try removing the face plate on the bluray drive, some of those are pretty thick and just click off leaving plastic tray that you wont see anyways... Might give you just the clearance you need

Back