New Lian Li PC-V354 m.atx case : Specification & Feature

anyone mod/remove the grills on the back yet?

i really wish LL would have just left a nice clean hole there like the front intake.

For those of you waiting for Sandy bridge and the V354, like me, it looks like the ASUS P8P67-M EVO will be our board of choice come Jan 2011.
The positioning of the CPU looks to be better for those wanting to use an H50 too, if you place the rad at front of case.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/11/17/regular-sandy-bridge-motherboards-asus/

Has anyone come across an enthusiast level m.atx ASUS P67 board? This is the only one I can find...

UPDATE:
Here's a higher res pic.
http://pzportal.net/main/tech/pzportal-exclusive-asus-p67-mobo-technical-seminar/
(12th picture down)

Last edited:
For those of you waiting for Sandy bridge and the V354, like me, it looks like the ASUS P8P67-M EVO will be our board of choice come Jan 2011.
The positioning of the CPU looks to be better for those wanting to use an H50 too, if you place the fan at front of case.

Has anyone come across an enthusiast level m.atx ASUS P67 board? This is the only one I can find...

UPDATE:
Here's a higher res pic.
http://pzportal.net/main/tech/pzportal-exclusive-asus-p67-mobo-technical-seminar/
http://pzportal.net/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/P8P67-M-EVO.jpg

what about two x16 slots?

The positioning of the CPU looks to be better for those wanting to use an H50 too, if you place the rad at front of case.

UPDATE:
Here's a higher res pic.
http://pzportal.net/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/P8P67-M-EVO.jpg

Why the disgusting color scheme, honestly. Reminds me of a 15 year old P3 motherboard, lol.

Does any one know where I plug the card reader pins into? My guess would be one of the USB headers on the mobo - but there is no documentation on it. Any other v354 owners care to chime in?

~AB

Hi guys xD
Does anybody know if a Radeon 6850 fits into the V354 with both hard disk cases left inside?
There are cards with the power connector on the top and at the back.
I think I have to calculate about 1.5cm (0.6 inch) for the pci-e cable if plugged in, or is this too short?
all responses would be greatly appreciated
thx!

Hi guys xD
Does anybody know if a Radeon 6850 fits into the V354 with both hard disk cases left inside?
There are cards with the power connector on the top and at the back.
I think I have to calculate about 1.5cm (0.6 inch) for the pci-e cable if plugged in, or is this too short?
all responses would be greatly appreciated
thx!

Should.. a mATX standard is 9.6"x9.6" & some of the 6850's are only 8.5".. So I dont think it would be a problem at all.. Although I am not sure of the actual length in the v354.. its gotta be somewhere in this thread though

the actual lenght in the case is 23.5cm (9.25) inch. but I am just not sure. if it would fit because of the power cable.
maybe someone could recommend me a 6850 which will definitely fit?
thx and regards

The hard drive bays hang over the motherboard by less than 10mm... so effectively, you have 235mm for a video card length & power cable(s). I would allow 15mm for a PCIe connector if it's on the end of the video card.

Radeon 6850 is 216mm long + 15mm power... should fit just barely. Not sure about other ATI cards.

Radeon 6850 is 216mm long + 15mm power... should fit just barely. Not sure about other ATI cards.

Remember not all 6850's are the same length.. For the lengh as posted above the xfx & gigabyte both have the shorter PCB.. The Gigabyte cooler hangs off the end though so your best bet is probably the xfx

Hi guys. I have a question regarding the fan holder panel up front. Is it easily removable i.e. no rivet drilling?

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to slap a custom Demciflex solution up front and have the self adhesive ferromagnetic strip installed on the inside, behind the front grille.

I know it'd spoil the looks a bit, but it'd also be a once and for all comprehensive solution to the dust problem, saving me many "trips" to the inside and more importantly help preserve the side panel screw holes.

Last edited:
There is no fan holder per se; it's part of the case. The front fans are easily removable, once you remove the drive cages. Keep in mind, this case is completely aluminium, so there won't be magnetism.

Has anyone here considered getting an MATX PSU?
Is there anything powerful enough?

I am waiting on Sandy Bridge and want to build a new system ground-up with the V354.
Looking at initial numbers I would want to run this at 4Ghz+ at least.

Now, the H50 in a push/pull config seems like an ideal solution.
I want to run a GF 460 GTX and will most likely end up filling each DIMM slot. Is it viable to try to use an MATX PSU and therefore install a larger air-cooler instead of the H50?

Is there really much benefit to squeezing a H70 into the top HDD bay over the performance of the H50?

Can't wait to start building this :D

Has anyone here considered getting an MATX PSU?
Is there anything powerful enough?

I am waiting on Sandy Bridge and want to build a new system ground-up with the V354.
Looking at initial numbers I would want to run this at 4Ghz+ at least.

Now, the H50 in a push/pull config seems like an ideal solution.
I want to run a GF 460 GTX and will most likely end up filling each DIMM slot. Is it viable to try to use an MATX PSU and therefore install a larger air-cooler instead of the H50?

Is there really much benefit to squeezing a H70 into the top HDD bay over the performance of the H50?

Can't wait to start building this :D

No such PSU standard as a mATX PSU.. The Silverstone SFX however is a possibility & at 450 watts its viable for most single GPU solutions

Thanks for the info!
I was until recently running a Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz with a TRUE120, 7 hdds (2 of which were 15k scsis) a 5850, optical drive, 8gb ram etc etc which seems like it would produce a heavier load than the system i am going to build now, which will only have one internal SSD, a 460 GTX and most likely not even an optical drive.

I am just wary of 450w not being enough once overclocking sandy bridge processors comes into play.

That is the CiT one isn't it?

The stats on that are terrible and all connectors are quite outdated. I would trust the silverstone one much more.

Seems most wattage calculators will recommend me something like 490w rather than 450....arghrghrgr

Edit: Looking at online reviews, this baby can handle much higher loads. One website ran an overclocked i7 980 and a 5970 overclocked etc. at 550w for 24 hours. Nice one. Seems I have my PSU of choice. Now the thing is that I am wondering what the gain from this would be. If it allowed me to throw a massive high-powered air-cooler in there, that would be really good, as those tend to outperform the H50 on occasion, no?

Edit2: These look very interesting too: http://hothardware.com/News/Asetek-Introduces-New-92mm-CPU-Coolers/

Last edited:
The Silverstone 450w SFX is a good unit & it shouldn't have a problem pushing any cpu with a 460..

Newegg has a "matx" psu at 550watts

Doesnt mean that mATX is a standard size for PSU's. You will also notice that most of those Micro ATX PSU's are listed as both mATX & SFX. SFX is the standard in that size.

@Formation4: Any chance you could link to those thumb screws on the side panel? The tiny screws that came with the case are not good enough for me.

Yes, please post a link! I need thumb screws for this case! It would be such a nightmare to disassemble this case at a LAN party with the tiny sidepanel screws that it comes with.

(Hopefully I wouldn't have to disassemble at a LAN, but you never know. Cables come loose during transportation. Last LAN I went to, I had to open up my case really quick and reconnect a SATA cable. and yes, it was indeed a locking SATA cable.)

The Silverstone 450w SFX is a good unit & it shouldn't have a problem pushing any cpu with a 460..

Doesnt mean that mATX is a standard size for PSU's. You will also notice that most of those Micro ATX PSU's are listed as both mATX & SFX. SFX is the standard in that size.

hence the quotation marks

There is no fan holder per se; it's part of the case. The front fans are easily removable, once you remove the drive cages. Keep in mind, this case is completely aluminium, so there won't be magnetism.

Thanks but I eventually managed to find the answer by examining the photos closer. The panel holding the fans and front I/O is riveted to the chassis unlike the Q8 where it's screwed in:

ztt9w6.jpg

Shit out of luck with that one. I'd consider sticking it from the front but I'm worried about the adhesive leaving permanent marks, hurting the looks, resale value.

Opening the case on a weekly basis just to access the filters would be too much of a chore on the other hand. They really need to put more thought into these sorts of details.

Hi there.. I just got a Lian Li v354 and H50 for a new build.
I just ordered the extra 6-32/1-1/4screws to install the second fan.
However... I wonder how do I attach the fan that goes from the case (intake) to the radiator? If I use the supplied screws with the grommets, I can't attach the fan to the case... so I just use the stock screws to attach the dust cover to the fan and to the case. (Stock) Are there any special mini screws? Does it mean that I just use the extra / new screws to attach the fan but then I can't install the dust cover in that bottom fan? (I would really like to keep the dust cover.)

Here is mine before and after the psu was installed, quite some difference, ive managed to tidy it a bit better than that as previous post shows but it does soon swallow up lots of free space once installed

P1030095.jpg

P1030096.jpg

Last edited:
you should be able to see that you dont use the screws that come with the h50 in the front fan from the pcitures above, you need some short screws to screw the fan in from one side and use the screws that came with the rubber gromit and filter on. I happend to have some short screws that were the same thread. I sent you a rubbish drawing via pm to explain a little better

:D

Thanks for the info (and quick reply). Will look for these screws asap. This is the only thing preventing me from finishing my build. :( Spent all night looking for some screws that will fit in here in my storage boxes to no avail.

I was also thinking about using a rotary tool to cut the extra screws (H50 alike) I got to a length that will fit.
So.. instead of being 6-32 x 1-1/4 they are something like 6-32 x 1/4?

Thanks for the info (and quick reply). Will look for these screws asap. This is the only thing preventing me from finishing my build. :( Spent all night looking for some screws that will fit in here in my storage boxes to no avail.

I was also thinking about using a rotary tool to cut the extra screws (H50 alike) I got to a length that will fit.
So.. instead of being 6-32 x 1-1/4 they are something like 6-32 x 1/4?

Sorry ive no idea, ive just got boxes of screws full from cases etc ive had over the years just dug through them until I had some that fit, I dont see why you couldnt cut the ones you are getting however, ideal if you had a nut the same size to take the burr off after cutting

Thanks for the help guys.. Although I ordered two sets of 6-32 x 1-1/4 screws and I though about cutting them off... I was lucky enough to find 8 shorter screws that fit perfectly in my bin of screws... I guess we all save the zillion screws we have gone through all these years! LOL

My build came out really nice...I will just play a little bit with it before trying to OC more.
I just used the BIOS OC feature to automatically bring my I7-950 to 3.7Ghz with 1.32vcore and core temps range between 41c-43c

Hey man, can you try to push past 4Ghz and let me know your progress and temps under P95? That would be amazing :D

Right now I am at 4Ghz and core temps range from 41-45 degrees. (celcius)
CoreTEMP, CPU-ID and Prime results for only 4 hours test.
Not sure if these temps are good for this OC. I am sort of a newbie.

I OCd a few computers (mine and several friends) 2-3 years ago with nice results.. This is my first attempt since.
Using H50 and 5 Schyte Flex fans in this case.

I installed my H50 in the lower front fan slot. This configuration pumps too much hot air over the video cards. I think the only way to use that location is to create a shrout that vents it out the side panel. That would be the @#$!.

I think I will go with the H50 on the back in push/pull as an exhaust. Ive been looking through the H50 forums and many people think this is the best way, but I will try both.

I also wonder if this will fit.

Zalman CNPS9900
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=416

Its max height is 152mm, but it is round, therefore the offsett of the socket to the PSU may be enough depending on where on the circular fan it hits.

Is anyone using one?

@AMaskedMan:

How many fans (And which ones) do you have in your case?
I was worried about temps in this little case (It is REALLY small) compared to the 3 CoolerMaster Stacker 830s I use for my sons' and wife's computers. I have the H50 in a push/pull config and 3 more fans. (I replaced all of the fans). I do not get hot air from my unit (OC to 4ghz) at all. I have an eVGA 480GTX.

Could you please provide some more info of your setup?

The more I look at this case the more I want it.. it would make a great replacement for my v351 that houses my server now. Its just short enough to fit on the same shelf too (with in 1/2")

Yes. You should read earlier posts around #265 for more details.

Thanks... anyhoo, I'm putting together a new system next month, and I can't decide between the V354 and the FT03 right now. (Also considering A04, but distant 3rd)

The FT-03 is better looking IMO and probably has better cooling
The V354 is about 2 meals cheaper but doesn't have the FT03's crippling fault of slimbay drive only *facepalm*

I also can't decide against Sandy Bridge or an AMD Hexacore. Cost, cost, cost....

I will suggest you do a little more research. Almost all of the comparisons/reviews between the two shows that the V354 has better cooling than the FT03. Perhaps not by much... Anyways.. I am not a fanboy... to each its own. In the end it is all a choice of preference.

As per SB vs AMD:

I used to own AMD a long time ago (When both were up-to-par). 2 months ago I ordered two AMD eight cores CPUs with a dual socket board (Asus), I also built my friends AMD 1090T. For single and little multi-thread, the 1090T was superior. I even tried it 16 cores under VMware ESXi.

Dulled by the performance, I ended up replacing them with an i7-950 (Asus Rampage III Gene, V354) and the difference is huge!

Of course SB and the new AMDs maybe change the "game" as we know it.. but it is all speculation. We will have to wait until it is here and see the end result. I just bought a second V354 for when SB comes out. :)

Does anyone know if the PC-V354's built-in card reader can read Memory Stick Pro cards in addition to SD? I've come across conflicting information on the Lian Li website so I wanted to ask some actual users.

Thanks.

I will suggest you do a little more research. Almost all of the comparisons/reviews between the two shows that the V354 has better cooling than the FT03. Perhaps not by much...

Source? FT03 isn't even out yet, I have not been able to find any reviews yet (only previews with no performance data).

I would be surprised if V354 cooled better.

Lian-Li Cooling Pros:

Larger exhaust fans
Airflow over the HDDs

Silverstone Cooling Pros:

Less obstructions in the airflow path (eg no drive cages in front of video\CPU, no PSU over expansion cards)
Air flow layout assisted by natural convection (heat rising)
Exhaust fan directly over video card
Fits larger tower heatsinks (165mm vs 130 mm)
PSU has decicated intake\exhaust vents so its heat is seperate from the system

I expect the Silverstone to give much better temps. As for other functionality (drive bays) and looks, thats a different matter. Not sure I like the slimline optical restriction and fridge styling myself

Last edited:
Back