New Lian Li PC-V354 m.atx case : Specification & Feature

I am thinking that will all the speculation a Dremel may be the ticket.. basically cut out the grill & where the rad tubes come out so you can mount it to the back of the case (on the outside) with the fan inside (maybe a 2nd for the P&P)

probably a good idea, I personally just couldn't resort to defacing this case, its just that nice.

Futile, have you considered that the CPU socket position actually varies mobo to mobo? This can be both advantageous and disadvantageous ...

So I ordered this case.

But what heatsink would be best for an i7 920? I don't wanna use a H50 or mod the case.

Last edited:
If you're not planning on overclocking, I'd suspect you can get away with any midrange cooler... anything 80-90mm based.

If you want to go 120mm or 140mm, you're probably restricted to getting a Down-Blowing style arrangement like the NH-C12P, or do like I'm planning and buy separate HS and Fans to fit the space.

I'm thinking that the following is the going to yield the best results and JUST fit:
* Megahalems or Venomous-X HeatSink
* 1x 120mm (Noctua 25mm wide) Push
* 1x 120mm (Scythe 12mm wide) Pull

Looks like:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9953/pccasefit6scythenoctua.jpg

Biggest issue with this setup is really the cost.

Perhaps I can shed some light.

Asus Rampage II Gene
NH-U12P Cooler

caseheatsinkview.jpg

casesideview.jpg

There is about 1in between the rear fan and CPU heatsink; there is less than 1cm between the heatsink and power supply. Therefore, there's no fitting a fan on this heatsink. Technically, my CPU is passively cooled. :) However, here are my CPU temps under load (using Intel Core 0 sensor):
0%: 43C
50%: 53C
100%: 72C

If you are overclocking, then obviously, you'll need a stronger cooling solution. Because 80C is listed as "high temp" for the i7. Note that both fans pictured are exhaust fans. The top 140mm fan @900 RPM does much more CPU cooling than the rear 120mm fan.

I asked about this a few pages back. Please let us know if that works. :)

unfortunately not :( it caught the edge of the mobo, the only way around it for me would be to drill some new holes in the top to move the rad/fan nearer the centre, its a matter of a few mm, pretty poor placing of fan holes by lian li if you ask me, i really like the case but I dont want to start drilling holes in it :(

@djstarfox

Thanks for the images, that actually helps clear up alot of conjecture.

One thing that baffles me abit is that your PSU isn't as low as I'd expected. It actually looks like there is space on that lower side of the Heatsink to mount a fan without it making contact with the PSU? I had expected like an overlap of about 35mm from the line of the bottom of the PSU and the top of the HeatSinks Pipes?

If there is actually this kind of space I wonder if my original thought of the D14 might work, I'm guessing it'd obstruct the airflow to the PSU a bit if it did.

Trying to figure out why you say the Venomous X won't fit? The Depth on the U12P you're using is 71mm but the Venomous X is 63mm and the Megahalems is 74mm! Can you let me know what you meant?

Out of curiousity... Whats your PSU?

Ok v354 landed on my doorstep today. Got home late today from work so just started the migration from the sugo03 to the v354 and I can confirm the h50 does not fit on the rear at all as well as the top exhaust (atleast with standard 25mm wide fan) as it bumps into the motherboard as I had guessed. I will have to measure to see if it would fit with a slim fan although that solution is a lame workaround.

As yfrog has already mentioned h50 does fit on the front bottom fan but not easily. I will need to find some longer screws to mount the fan + filter + rad together (h50 screws are not long enough to fit the filter as well). It's a good size bigger than the sugo but it should provide some much better ventilation, or so I hope.

I'm thinking since the v354 has two front intake fans, a rear exhaust fan, and a top exhaust fan then even if you use the lower front intake fan placement for the H50 it should still have good case cooling overall. It leaves one front intake and two exhaust and that should make up for it the loss of the lower front intake. Unless having the H50 rad on the lower front somehow blocks proper airflow but considering it doesn't on a SG03 I don't see how it could on a v354. Just some thoughts of mine anyway. :)

nice pictures djstarfox!

I also have a rampage 2 gene, I wonder if a Prolimatech Armaggedon will fit with fans?

looks like we are a lot to ditch the SG03 for this baby :)

Last edited:
@Futile:
Frozen CPU specifications were wrong, so scratch what I said. Yes, it looks like both of those heatsinks will fit. However, a full-size fan may not.

@dys13: Based on dims of 160.3 x 144 x 50 mm for the Prolimatech Armaggedon, I'm sure it would fit. I'm not sure if you'll be able to put a 120mm fan on the back of the case as I have; you'd have less than 5mm clearance to work with (to get the fan in).

@Skott: What this case really needs in a PCI slot fan INTAKE on the bottom slot, pushing air up into the video card (or RAID card, in my case). I've looked at Lian Li's PCI coolers, but none will fit. It would have to be near 80mm size. I've never seen such a thing for sale.

As far as the H50, it would make sense to me (if I had one) to make the front fans exhaust and have the intake from the rear of the case. This would create positive air pressure in the case. The only downside is a little hot air being recirculated via the power supply.

Alternatively, if you look closely at the PCI slots, there is a small, removable bracket between the slots and the power supply. Could you route the H50 hoses through this? Then, mount the H50 on the rear port OUTSIDE the case? You can see the bracket best in this picture.

As far as the H50, it would make sense to me (if I had one) to make the front fans exhaust and have the intake from the rear of the case. This would create positive air pressure in the case. The only downside is a little hot air being recirculated via the power supply.

Another downside will be dust in the case, as the front fans have filters, while the rear ones do not

@djstarfox: I thought about running the H50 through the slot you mentioned but then I realized you would have to disconnect the radiator or the pump to route the hose through and I wasn't comfortable doing that.

I mounted my H50 on the lower front fan, well I replaced the fan with a Noctura fan and bolted it to the radiator with some short screws and then slid the fan and radiator assembly into position using the tool-less fan mounting screws (awesome btw) then I bolted another fan to the other side to Push/Pull air through using the screws included with the H50.

It's working decently, I can post some pics / benchies later today but I will probably wait until my 480 gets here and I put a gelid cooler on it, later this week.

So I've received my v354 tonight and finished installing it.

I've put a megahalems with my i7 920 + rampage 2 gene.

Few things that went not that good:
-Had to move my 2 Rams from A1 B1 to B1 C1 because the heatsink touch A1 slot.
-Had to move my 5850 to the second PCI slot cause the first one does not fit with the case...
-Couldn't find where to plug the SDCARD on my Rampage 2 gene.
-Couldn't use the back fan regulator cause it doesn't work with my PSU and I don't want to put adaptors everywhere

Apart from that, this case a a miracle. I could not pass OCCT with my SG03 + NT06-E before.
Now I'm at 35° idle, 65 full. Before I was 50° idle-90° full. I can finally use my i7 with full potential!!!

Last edited:
@dys13:
I'd like to see how you mounted the megahalems and its fan in the case. Would you upload a pic when you get a chance? Thanks.

I didn't put any fan. I dont think there is enough space.
Here is a pic taken from my phone http://yfrog.com/5ev7goj
Not very good cause it looks like there is huge room beetween heatsink and psu/top fan. But its an illusion.

Also front usb dont work for me :(

Last edited:
Alternatively, if you look closely at the PCI slots, there is a small, removable bracket between the slots and the power supply. Could you route the H50 hoses through this? Then, mount the H50 on the rear port OUTSIDE the case?
Agree that this would likely not work since you'd have to detach the hoses from the rad and even then it may not be long enough to reach.

Still haven't finished the build for other reasons but worked on it a bit more and have noted the following:
- installation needs to be done in a specific order (ugh why does all sff seem to require this?) I.e. CDROM then mobo then hdd then pci slot (wifi card) then gpu etc. Throw the h50 in the mix and I've already had to backpedal a couple times ( not as bad as the sugo 03 though luckily)
- cable management doesn't sem too bad, spots to the left and right of hdd cage to route and cable tie
- like dys13, not sure where to connect the sd card to mobo
- rear fan controller has 4 fan slots, easily reachable by the rear 2 fans, front fan cables don't reach though?

Will have more feedback as I wrap up the build (tonight hopefully) but hopefully that provides some insight.

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on one of these tonight. I'll definitely post pictures when I get everything in it. As for my heatsink I'll be using a stock Intel cooler for now, but I'm thinking about going with a Noctua NH-U9B SE2 later. Do you guys think that would work well in this case?

I'm looking for something that will cool a Q6600 G0 at 3GHz reasonably well.

@dys13:
Thanks for the Photo, thinking of going this route, but surprised the RAM slots get covered? Have you got tall Ram modules?

@Redmist:
From my measurements and assuming you have a standard size power supply, the NH-U9B SE2 will fit with a 92mm fan. Keep in mind, this was only verified if you have an ASUS or EVGA Core i7 motherboard.

@dys13:
Sorry, I forgot to answer a couple questions for you. Power supply in my picture was Antec Earthwatts 650. However, it died shortly after I took the picture. I'm experimenting with a CPU fan (in shipment now), so once that's installed there will be round 2 of pictures/specs. :)

You can plug the card reader into a MB USB header like so:
x = open pin

x x x x x
1 2 3 4

where the cable wires are:
1 = red
2 = white
3 = green
4 = black

If you did this correctly, the light above the card reader on front of case will be lit green.

@Redmist:
From my measurements and assuming you have a standard size power supply, the NH-U9B SE2 will fit with a 92mm fan. Keep in mind, this was only verified if you have an ASUS or EVGA Core i7 motherboard.
Yeah I won't be going i7 for this rig, but I'm sure it will be fine as all Micro-ATX boards should be around the same size. I'll be using a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 board with a SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze PSU. Thanks for the help :)

UPS should be swinging by with the case any time now! :)

Last edited:
Well... looks like you jerks have made this the case for my next build.... just looks... purdy... : ) anyone know if the stock front fans are decent as far as noise goes? I do love how i cant hear my SG07 and I hope this one is pretty similar.

Going with an I7 930, Rampage III, MSI 5850 and a CORSAIR HX620 Power supply. = budget gaming build under $1000
Should be fun : )

Edit. Stupid question but does this come with the universal drive cover?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but hows a 240 rad in the front looking? How about a 120 on the back (all internal)? I also might've missed if someone measured the distance between the mounting holes and the top/sides of the case for the back fan, but I would love to have those.

I installed a 120x12mm fan 2000RPM onto the CPU heatsink. This was tricky because of 1) clearance with power supply and 2) the clips supplied with the Noctua cooler don't work with such a slim fan. So, I had to take my dremel and clip the end off about 2mm (figure 1).

lianlicasedremelwork.jpg

Figure 1.

There is only 23mm overhang between the heatsink and power supply (figure 2), but this was enough that I had to buy a slim fan (120x25mm wouldn't fit).

lianlicaseclearance.jpg

Figure 2.

In this last picture (figure 3), I couldn't fit the ruler in there, but take my word the space between the CPU fan & the power supply is 3mm. :) Tried to do a little cable mgmt. The bottom drive bay made a good holding block for the extra cables.

lianlicaserunning.jpg

Figure 3.

I'd like to finish it with a quiet PCI slot fan, such as Lian Li BS-08, plus an additional light. After that, I'm quite done with this rig.

Temps (on-die sensor):
0% 42C
50% 56C
100% 67C (before the CPU fan, I was pushing 80C)

PS White balance is a little off on the pictures.

Last edited:
nice pics! well done, I might to that for the slim fan
you don't have a graphic card?

whats a good modular PSU (less than 100) for this case. Using it for a WHS with 7-8 drives and a raid card? no ODD - stock fans, everything else stock.

whats a good modular PSU (less than 100) for this case. Using it for a WHS with 7-8 drives and a raid card? no ODD - stock fans, everything else stock.
I used a Seasonic M12II 620watt. It was $100 + shipping and tax from Newegg.

I got my build finished tonight :)
IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

@Redmist:
Congrats on the new build. What are your specs and temps? I'm curious about how well the double fan situation works....

I used a Seasonic M12II 620watt. It was $100 + shipping and tax from Newegg.

I got my build finished tonight :)

What model Noctua is that? I'm trying to figure out what coolers would fit. Leaning towards the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro.

@Redmist:
Congrats on the new build. What are your specs and temps? I'm curious about how well the double fan situation works....
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe (the 65nm 1.86GHz version)
GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2
DDR2-800 2x2GB OCZ
VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Western Digital 5000AAKS-00V1A0
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W

I'm running the E6300 at 2.1GHz (300x7) and my idle temp is 37c. Load temp is 45c (running OCCT). Keep in mind that's with Artic Silver 5, which was just applied last night. The E6300 can go higher than 2.1GHz, but this GA-73PVM-S2 is a horrible overclocker. I got this particular E6300 to 3.4GHz with a GA-P35-DS3L.

What model Noctua is that? I'm trying to figure out what coolers would fit. Leaning towards the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro.
Noctua NH-U9B SE2
based on the fan size up against the 140mm, it looks like a NH-U9B SE2
Correct!

Last edited:
Is it not disqualified b/c of push-pin attachment? :D

Yes that is very cheap. but I'm sure with the billion of bolts and nuts that i have, i can make a real solid connection. I dont know, if you guys have other simple solutions, its a strictly a gaming build for my brother who's going to be stationed over in southern turkey, so i need something thatll keep it cool enough without being a pain for him to work around.

Back