New Lian Li PC- Q11 itx case : Specification & Feature

TTT,
I am kind of worried about the weight on the Lian Li standoffs, with the D14 mounted to the mobo. It weighs like 3 lbs, but if I had a high end GPU installed wouldn't it also stress the standoffs??

Im probably worried over nothing though...

Yea the GPU would stress the standoff's, though not as much.. IMHO though you are stressing over nothing.

Very large picture coming up, but on the 1000px you couldn't see much.

Anyways, I managed to get a GTS 450 with a Thermalright T-Rad 2 to fit.
img0645copy.jpg

Beautiful setup! I'd build one too but I have too many computers already. What do you guys do with all your "older" stuff?

BTW, re. AXP-140, I read somewhere that the heatpipes should not be pointing down... because it's more efficient for the liquid to condense back DOWN to the hot end. Although in this case half are pointing down and half up, and in this setup there may not be room to point any other way... looks packed. Anyway.. I love your photos too.

Just got this case. Few questions. Is this front bezel on the dvd drive removable?

I noticed the USB 3.0 connectors are just regular USB cables on the end. Do I have to route the cables out of the case and into the IO of the ASUS M4A88T-I motherboard?

Just got this case. Few questions. Is this front bezel on the dvd drive removable?

I noticed the USB 3.0 connectors are just regular USB cables on the end. Do I have to route the cables out of the case and into the IO of the ASUS M4A88T-I motherboard?

Optical bezel comes off with the bay from the inside out..

Yes you have to route those out the back & then to the rear panel. There are no usb 3.0 headers on any motherboard I know of.. So for the time being I think that Lian Li did the best solution.. Also they included a adapter to go from the motherboard headers to the front panel, but you loose usb 3.0 that way.

Finished my build and that was one hell of a challenge. It was really like a puzzle having to anticipate what would block what and attaching pieces accordingly. This is a case I never want to open again lol.
Some pictures:
IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

I did the wiring again after this picture was taken because I was getting high temps. The temps dropped a little after I changed the wiring but they are still high.
CPU 46-50c
GPU 75c
-__-

Specs:
AMD X2 Dual-Core Processor 210e 2.6 GHz 45watt cpu
Scythe Big Shuriken
Asus m4a88t-i
4gb ddr3 G.Skill 1333mhz
9600 GSO
80gb 3.5" hard drive
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W PSU

Finished my build and that was one hell of a challenge. It was really like a puzzle having to anticipate what would block what and attaching pieces accordingly. This is a case I never want to open again lol.
Some pictures:
IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

I did the wiring again after this picture was taken because I was getting high temps. The temps dropped a little after I changed the wiring but they are still high.
CPU 46-50c
GPU 75c
-__-

Specs:
Scythe Big Shuriken
Asus m4a88t-i
4gb ddr3 G.Skill 1333mhz
9600 GSO
80gb 3.5" hard drive

lol.. I Really don't want to open mine either.. I actually could have gotten a free CPU upgrade the other day had I been willing to, but didn't just because its a PITA..

I have been looking at this case for awhile but never went with it because i didnt like the looks but then again there arent many small cases with good looks

Just saw this Cooler Master "V-A2" cooler here. Only 59mm in height! with a slim 120mm fan! I wonder how good it'll be and how much it'll cost. Being 59mm does mean it probably won't be high enough to not catch the RAM though.

My recent SFF build.
Spec is ...
i7 870
2 x 4gb DDR3
GTX 460 SSC+ (Default OC at 850)
1x 1 TB 3.5inch HDD for backup/storage
1x 128 SSD for secondary HDD (games/programs)
1x 60GB sandforce SSD for OS.

I've had this build for few weeks and passed all stability tests.
Because I used Silverstone SFF PSU, I was able to fit a taller heatsink with ease. My heatsink is http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185140
If I used a normal-size PSU, I can still fit it without the fan and make it passive since PSU fan will be directly above the heatsink with few millimeter clearance.

IMG_2136.jpg

Some pictures:
IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

CPU 46-50c
GPU 75c
-__-

Specs:
Scythe Big Shuriken
Asus m4a88t-i
4gb ddr3 G.Skill 1333mhz
9600 GSO
80gb 3.5" hard drive

Hi,it's very good configuration,why you use CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ?

some people use SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX for intel core i7:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3
CPU: Intel Core i7-875K
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460
Cooling: Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 64mb cache
Case: LIAN LI PC-Q11B Black

and I want use Enermax MODU82+ II 425W for system:

Mobo: Asus m4a88t-i
CPU: AMD Phenom X2 555 black edition
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6850 XFX 1024Mb
RAM: Samsung 4G
HD: Western Digital 160G

will it enough 425W?

Hi,it's very good configuration,why you use CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ?

some people use SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX for intel core i7:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3
CPU: Intel Core i7-875K
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 64mb cache

and I want use Enermax MODU82+ II 425W for system:

Mobo: Asus m4a88t-i
CPU: AMD Phenom X2 555 black edition
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6850 XFX 1024Mb
RAM: Samsung 4G
HD: Western Digital 160G

will it enough 425W?
I already had the Corsair PSU, that's why I used it.

I think it's recommended that you have a 500w or higher PSU for the 6850. It would probably work but it might strain the PSU under load. You should check the rails of that PSU.

My recent SFF build.
Spec is ...
i7 870
2 x 4gb DDR3
GTX 460 SSC+ (Default OC at 850)
1x 1 TB 3.5inch HDD for backup/storage
1x 128 SSD for secondary HDD (games/programs)
1x 60GB sandforce SSD for OS.

I've had this build for few weeks and passed all stability tests.
Because I used Silverstone SFF PSU, I was able to fit a taller heatsink with ease. My heatsink is http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185140
If I used a normal-size PSU, I can still fit it without the fan and make it passive since PSU fan will be directly above the heatsink with few millimeter clearance.

IMG_2136.jpg

What kind of temps do you get with this heatsink? When idle and games.

45c in idle and exactly at 70c at full load with room temp of 23c.

GPU goes up to 90 since I restrict fan speed at 50% due to noise.

It's well below T-junction, so it's alright.

After installing the AXP-140, switching sata cables, and installing the zalman fanmate 2. I know it's a bit messy, but I was a little POed after the motherboard fell off my desk while I was installing the AXP-140 (Didn't realize how close it was to the edge of my desk). Anyways, I didn't really feel like doing much cable management after that plus at least everything works like normal. Eventually, I think I'll just switch back to the Big Shuriken and switch computers with my brothers and go back to the A05NB. I think I may eventually go with a laptop down the line and get a different case for a server.

Hmm, reb00tin if I'm in the mood, maybe I'll open up the side again to see if a 25mm fan will fit with a SFX PSU.

pc-q11b%20inside%2002.png

is mATX and SFX the same size?

mATX is not a PSU standard size.. SFX is.. So while most mATX labeled PSU's are actually the same size as SFX not all are since that is a label the manufacturer throws on it not an actual standard.

A few people have asked me to post dimensions of my Q11 with the push/pull H50 mounted on the front fan. I have taken a few pics with a yardstick for reference.

PC04.jpg

PC05.jpg

The setup is as follows (from front of case to back):
Stock Lian Li 140mm fan
BGears 140mm to 120mm fan adapter
Corsair H50
Scythe Slim 120mm fan
Fan grille

The one thing that made all of this possible was the use of Samsung ultra-low profile DIMMs. The 8GB that I have installed on the Foxconn H67S doesn't even reach the top of the memory retention clip. These are the shortest DIMMs that I have seen on the market, and they are still rated for DDR3 1333.

Okay so I didn't really want to uninstall my ST45SF PSU and attempt to fit a 25mm fan and then reinstall the PSU again but I did measure the distance with a ruler and it was around 1 inch so the 25mm fan will barely fit.

mATX is not a PSU standard size.. SFX is.. So while most mATX labeled PSU's are actually the same size as SFX not all are since that is a label the manufacturer throws on it not an actual standard.

Thank you. So the FSP300-60GHS-R in my link above is the same size as the Silverstone ST45SF ?

Thank you. So the FSP300-60GHS-R in my link above is the same size as the Silverstone ST45SF ?

Yeah, they're the same size. Not sure why it's labeled micro-atx. That's the first time I've seen a psu labeled that way.

Yeah, they're the same size. Not sure why it's labeled micro-atx. That's the first time I've seen a psu labeled that way.

Thank you, and thanks wonSR4 for the measurement.

Even if a 25mm fan fits dimensionally, ~1" or 25mm is not enough, a fan needs at least another 20-40mm behind it otherwise it's smothered -- air is blocked off + turbulence noise.

So it seems to me that an SFX pSU isn't small enough to solve the problem. Does anybody agree? There are even smaller format PSUs but you're looking at 40-60mm fans!

I think that without a fan on top of it the AXP-140 will do just fine with a 140mm fan right next to it.

Thank you, and thanks wonSR4 for the measurement.

Even if a 25mm fan fits dimensionally, ~1" or 25mm is not enough, a fan needs at least another 20-40mm behind it otherwise it's smothered -- air is blocked off + turbulence noise.

So it seems to me that an SFX pSU isn't small enough to solve the problem. Does anybody agree? There are even smaller format PSUs but you're looking at 40-60mm fans!

I think that without a fan on top of it the AXP-140 will do just fine with a 140mm fan right next to it.

My temperatures are fine without a 140mm fan on top. You could always put a 12mm 120mm fan on top if you're that worried about temperatures. I don't utilize a video card either so that helps. I also don't do anything intensive on my computer.

I've found out hard way that turning the Silverstone SFX PSU the other way, making its fan facing outward is better for the PSU with significantly lower temp.

I've found out hard way that turning the Silverstone SFX PSU the other way, making its fan facing outward is better for the PSU with significantly lower temp.

I Can only see that being the case temporarily.. There is no intake vent on the outside of a q11 so its still taking the air from the inside of the case just as if it is facing inwards.. Difference being that now the rest of the case will heat up more before it starts pulling the hot air out. On a q07 which had the whole side of the case perforated it would be a little different. But again.. no other intake anyway in the q11

I Can only see that being the case temporarily.. There is no intake vent on the outside of a q11 so its still taking the air from the inside of the case just as if it is facing inwards.. Difference being that now the rest of the case will heat up more before it starts pulling the hot air out. On a q07 which had the whole side of the case perforated it would be a little different. But again.. no other intake anyway in the q11

That was my initial take and why I installed it facing downward.

But when I was playing GTA IV, the PSU's fan was spinning at max (Which was REALLY loud) and it was really hot to bare hand. When I installed it upwards and played GTA IV for few hours, the PSU's fan remained in low RPM and the PSU itself was only fairly warm to touch.

Overall, installing upwards solved a major noise issue for me. CPU temp went down a little also.

That was my initial take and why I installed it facing downward.

But when I was playing GTA IV, the PSU's fan was spinning at max (Which was REALLY loud) and it was really hot to bare hand. When I installed it upwards and played GTA IV for few hours, the PSU's fan remained in low RPM and the PSU itself was only fairly warm to touch.

Overall, installing upwards solved a major noise issue for me. CPU temp went down a little also.

weird.. That makes no sense really.. I know on my q07 everything stayed much cooler with the fan facing inwards & it wasn't even a 2nd thought with the q11 with no vents on the side. Also though I haven't heard my PSU spin up at all. I Do notice when playing dirt2 for long periods the whole case gets warm.. Thats kinda neat.

Hi Guys,

After the death of my current computer i was thinking of using what's left to create a HTPC in the PC-Q11 case.

As i've not built an HTPC before i was wondering if someone can check my spec.

The RAM, CPU, HDDs, Optical i'm taking from my old machine.
Ram: 2GB DDR2 1066mhz (Quad2X4096-8500C5DF - only be using two sticks)
CPU: QX6850

I'll need to get a MOBO, was looking at Zotac GF9300-I-E NVIDIA GeForce 9300 775

I'll be looking to play 1080 MKVs etc. I was thinking of running XBMC Live on it or Boxee.

My concern is that the CPU and RAM are a bit of a mismatch for an HTPC.

Thanks.

I'll be interested to see variants on whether Nvidia's GTX560 work for the PC-Q11. Several people have used the GTX 460 in the case because it's short enough to fit. Many of the reviews show the reference designs of the 560 to be ~ 1/2 inch longer.

In addition to the length, I'm also curious about whether a manufacturer or two will release a fully shrouded GTX 560, so that as much heat as possible is directly vented to the outside of the case. Given the size and cooling constraints, I wouldn't want half of the card's heat to be dumped into an mITX box. That just sounds like a recipe for overwhelming the CPU cooling.

Good news! the Palit GTX 560 is only 7.5 inches long and uses dual fans. Admittedly, its not venting outside, but the size will fit even my Q07!

That's good news for the SFF crowd wwischerath. I suppose both the Q07 and the Q11 could make it work. A person might just have to boost their other cooling (i.e. front fan and/or PSU) to help avoid CPU throttling.

Good news! the Palit GTX 560 is only 7.5 inches long and uses dual fans. Admittedly, its not venting outside, but the size will fit even my Q07!

And for a q07 that's what I would do.. The reviews of the 560 ti though dont put it rocking my sox though.

I think the 560 has its place, just as the 460 did. Both seem to be good Nvidia solutions for a solid gaming card that fits some of the shorter depth mITX boxes (like the PC-Q11). My personal opinion is that the 560 is currently a bit over-priced for what it is. That's not too surprising as most manufacturers try to milk what they can out of a new release and the associated buzz. Knocking $30-40 off the price tag of a 560 would make it much more attractive. We'll probably see that a month or two down the road (saw similar price drops with 460s after 2-3 months).

I recently purchased an ASUS 6850 DirectCU -- will this card fit into the Q11? I've heard conflicting reports on the size of card this case will fit... anywhere from 220mm to 250mm. Since the 6850 is 9.75" inches, will this fit?

Look for my build thread in this forum. I have pick off my 6850 in my q11

Your Gigabyte card is almost an inch shorter than my Asus card... :(

Can someone take a measurement of the exact length available in this case?

Ah. I did some more research and it seems that your Gigabyte is 8.5" + 1" for the cooler, for a total of 9.5". Unfortunately, my Asus is 9.5" + 0.25" for the cooler, for a total of 9.75". Is there enough space for an extra 0.25"? I noticed in your thread that you said that there was only around 5mm of clearance left :(

Nevermind. I decided to just swap the Asus for the Gigabyte -- less hassle.

Edit: May have found the answer in the Revision B version http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034657538&postcount=1194 It looks as if it doesn't obstruct the ram? Would you agree.

Orginal:

Anyone know if Corsair Dominator ram will fit underneath the Big Shuriken or Thermalright AXP-140 on the zotac 9300 board?
Also in the PC-Q11 case can a fan be fitted on top of the heatsink or is the PSU to close?

As it's old ram i'm trying to buy the heatsink around. How does the H50 stack up noise wise to either of those 2 air cooled ones? It's not much more cost wise.

Last edited:
Back