New LG 5K monitors forthcoming

yes i read this morning and was pretty impressed however since i mainly use the 4k screens , they have a 34inch one which looks impressive.
i am using the 40 inch sony which is going to be hard to x720 hard to downgrade to in terms of size

Still no OLED monitors.

I think that's only a matter of time. Samsung recently has been able to make the yields off their OLED screens on cellphones rise from 60% to 90%, which is significant. But a 10% loss on yield is still extremely bad. I have no idea how they made any money with a 40% loss (actually I do know, thats why we have $1000 cellphones. No seriously, literally this is a big reason).

Granted the density on a computer monitor is far less, but they also have to deal with another factor, which of course is whatever their maximum capacity of OLED is in general. Meanwhile they're trying to make it mature enough that it won't be an issue for PC desktop use, as in having static image burn-in be not a problem.

So, I'm not sure when it's coming because there are a lot of complex factors (tech development, cost, production, all of which is crazy when considered on a macro level). Truth is, we may still be waiting another 2 years.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Make this a 55" screen and I'll replace my current 40" 4k monitor.

Make this a 55" screen and I'll replace my current 40" 4k monitor.

Yes. 34" is too small, especially at 21:9. I'm uninterested in anything that small at any resolution. 55" at 21:9 would be 50.7" x 21.4". That would be great. Not too tall, and very wide. That's about the same height as a 43" 16:9, but about 13" wider. ...if I did my math right.

Back