New lens, need a filter

vage

2[H]4U
So I just got a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D AF Lens, and this is my first real one (except a used one that I got for free) other than the stock 18 - 55mm one that came with the camera. I'd like to protect this lens as best as I can, so I want to get a filter for it. I happen to have Best Buy gift cards, and they have RocketFish filters there, but are those actually any good? I know that filters aren't too expensive, so I don't HAVE to use my gift cards. Just wondering what everyone else uses, that would provide the least amount of "interference" when shooting.

I thought that it was something you should definitely do with high end (this is high end to me) glass. Do you not recommend it?
Filters of all kinds degrade image quality. It doesn't matter if you spent $50 or $500 on a filter, both will degrade you image quality one way or another.

The only time ever I use a protective filter is when I'm visiting my sister, and mainly because her dog loves to lick my lens/camera, so I'd rather have him lick the filter instead. Other than that, I never use a filter unless it's for a specific purpose (ex. ND filters for longer exposure).

OK well what about this case. I have 4 cats and a dog. Now they never touch my camera at all, its always in its case when I'm not using it, but hair manages to get absolutely everywhere. Still wouldn't recommend a filter?

It's a matter of a personal choice, really. I just feel strongly about not using filters if they are not needed.

$25 for a NC filter i linked above isn't going to break your bank. Get it, put it on, and see how you like it. If you don't see any negative effects (slower AF/less accurate AF/degraded IQ/whatever), then keep it on. Worst case scenario you'll end up with a very nice shot glass coaster ;)

Back