New Leaked Intel Roadmaps

I think one of the more interesting things is the lack of SLC on the roadmap. I wonder if Intel thinks its upcoming MLC chips are that durable and reliable to be used for a server drive. I guess it could be that they are only using the 600gb and giving it more space for rewrite.

Yes Intel's naming convention sucks thoroughly, but AMD is catching up to them.

Only quads? That explains why lga1136 and Westmere hexes were still listed as "enthusiast" solutions on another roadmap I saw on OCN.

I see myself adopting one of the i5-2500 flavors, speculating the "k" version will have an unlocked multiplier :D. By that time, I'm hoping the 2x nm flash will be on the market and more affordable as well.

I do believe Santa is bringing an upgrade this year.

sweet merciful peanuts, could Intel make their naming system any more confusing?

They're taking a leaf out of the Nvidia School of Naming Conventions handbook.

Only quads? That explains why lga1366 and Westmere hexes were still listed as "enthusiast" solutions on another roadmap I saw on OCN.

I guess if you weren't one to jump on i7 920 with a 1366 board you pretty much just got the big blue dick up your ass, in terms of upgrading.

Intel, I am disappoint. :(

The lack of a six core this early is no surprise as intel said probably the earliest you'd see another one would be end of 2011. Disappointing yes, but unexpected no.

Not surprising. Intel's previously said they were going to do the mainstream s1155 chips first and then the higher end s2011 would come on towards the end of the year.

Another socket....ugh, glad I didn't go i7 now, thought about going i7 this fall/winter, guess not. Way to many socket changes.

wow a 400GB x25-e? how much will that cost 50 grand, lol? wonder if they will still use slc over mlc in the enterprise line

I don't get all of the complaints about the new socket. Intel said this was coming for a long time now.

Personally I am happy with my i7 860 and plan on waiting until Ivy Bridge comes out to upgrade. By then Intel should have a south-bridge with native USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb.

Maybe I missed something but where in this chart does it mention the i7 parts not being 1366. Last I read the new socket wasn't planned until late 2011.

Is it just me or does intel bring out a new socket that's not reverse compatible every year to year and a half. On the bright side. Ya big SSD's. Hopefully this is because of some nice price cuts that'll soon be taking place in the NAND market.

Name scheme is horrendous. I'm going to have to google each name whenever someone talks about them on the [H]ard until I have them memorized. Great. :eek:

Wonder what's the price of a 300GB SSD will be by then

Wish I could have a 300GB SSD for Steam :p

You could replace every word in that CPU page with only three.

Same Old Shit.:rolleyes:
I guess when the competition doesn't compete, you can go as slow as you want.

Is it just me or does intel bring out a new socket that's not reverse compatible every year to year and a half. On the bright side. Ya big SSD's. Hopefully this is because of some nice price cuts that'll soon be taking place in the NAND market.

X58 (LGA 1366) was released November 2008 according to wiki. But it does seem the 1156 guys are going to get screwed.

X58 (LGA 1366) was released November 2008 according to wiki. But it does seem the 1156 guys are going to get screwed.

I really don't feel like I am being screwed as a 1156 owner. Because there is nothing must have coming out with Sandy Bridge. It is just an incremental upgrade. It is nothing more than a small bump in CPU speed and ram speed with a couple of other minor things tacked on. Anyone who has a i7 860 box has 0 reason to upgrade to new CPU when they come out.

However, as I stated before, when they start releasing the 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs, then there might be an actual reason to upgrade.

So...whats the future of 1336? (Not that I will need to upgrade the cpu for a long time)

EOL for quite awhile now...

as for the naming converntion, not that hard folks, Core i[x](either 3,5 or 7)-2(2 for v2, second gen whatever)[xxx](model number)

core i7-2, 920 (for example)

I really don't feel like I am being screwed as a 1156 owner. Because there is nothing must have coming out with Sandy Bridge. It is just an incremental upgrade. It is nothing more than a small bump in CPU speed and ram speed with a couple of other minor things tacked on. Anyone who has a i7 860 box has 0 reason to upgrade to new CPU when they come out.

However, as I stated before, when they start releasing the 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs, then there might be an actual reason to upgrade.

Exactly, a incremental upgrade, so did they really need to change sockets?

socket changes suck.

and everything on that list still kick's AMD's ass. it's sad.

So wait are these "TOCK" CPU's ? or "TICK" CPU's ? ?

B/c all I see if a bunch of new names at virtually all the same speeds (some slower).

Nothing new to get excited about ?

EOL for quite awhile now...

You don't think we'll eventually get a more mainstream 6 core part? I realize that depends on AMD showing up on the high end, but I'd hardly call the x58 "EOL" ... 1366 is still current high end. 1156 is current mainstream.

If you think about it, socket changes like this will be the new norm for some time.

The last couple of socket changes were driven by:

1. Memory controller integration/RAM tech
2. PCI-E integration (only partially done)
3. Integrated GPU (only partially done)

2/3 will likely stablize at some point; I expect that all CPUs will eventually have 3 as soon as it becomes reasonable to integrate GPUs into server chips. More integration = less MB cost or at least more room/space for sockets/dimms. At some point it won't be cost effective for Intel to build enthusiast chips without a GPU. Don't worry, they would have to be idiots to not decouple/disable it for OCing. I won't mind because old desktop chips make good home servers, just yank out the useless (at that point) discrete GPU to save power. Either way 3 should stablize and not cause future socket issues.

Once 2 stablizes, PCI-E 3.0 will be in full swing (my est.) and the question becomes: can PCI-E be enhanced in a backwards compatible way like 2.0/3.0 did? If not, get ready for a socket change.

1 is the big problem. Electrically, DDR standards are not backwards compatible. As long as moores law is holding, CPUs will need more BW and only so many channels are possible on a reasonable MB. I expect every big CPU architecture change to integrate the latest RAM tech and that will usually require a socket change. Get use to it.

What Intel/AMD need to look into is a common I/O tech. E.g. make everything PCI-E 3.0 (CPU to RAM/GPU/add on cards/I/O hub). I'm not recommending PCI-E as the solution, but simply as one that "almost" could work. Problem is that the BW/latencies required for the various technologies is so vastly different it isn't going to happen right away. A common I/O tech is the only way to decouple integrated controllers with the external components. Intel sort of tried this with FB-Dimms.

You don't think we'll eventually get a more mainstream 6 core part? I realize that depends on AMD showing up on the high end, but I'd hardly call the x58 "EOL" ... 1366 is still current high end. 1156 is current mainstream.

it had been known gulftown would be the last new 1366 chips, even before they were released.

I'm completely lost now with intels naming scheme's and performance specs

The table on Wikipedia does a reasonable job of sorting through the mess, but it is messy.

In short:

2600 = 8MB L3 highest clockspeeds
2500 = 6MB L3 mid clockspeeds
2400 = 6MB L3, lower clockspeeds
2300 = 3MB L3, lowest clockspeeds,
2100 = 3MB L3, mid clockspeeds, no turbo

Suffixes seem to be:
K = unlocked BCLK multi
S = lower clocks, reduced power consumption
T = reduced base clockspeeds with high-ish turbo clockspeeds, much reduced power consumption

Things get a little confusing when comparing the processors with the S suffix. For example:
2500 > 2400 > 2500S > 2400S
Things get even more confusing comparing S and T. For example 2500T is slightly slower than 2400S except for GPU's turbo clock speed, albeit with lower TDP.

it had been known gulftown would be the last new 1366 chips, even before they were released.

You're right. I looked it up. I guess I was just hoping for a more "reasonable" price on the 970. That would definitely be a killer upgrade. As long as Sandy still uses DDR 3 it's not a total loss, I guess .... Maybe there will be some deals to be had on the 970 as it is replaced, though! :D

The only plus to this whole socket crap, is that the newer stuff isn't really that much more impressive than the previous stuff. So the need to upgrade is small, other than e-penis factoring.

Back