New Law Prohibits Loud Commercials

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The welcomed sound you hear is a gigantic sigh of relief over a new law which took effect on Thursday giving the FCC power to regulate the volume of commercials. Yet another small victory for the commercial challenged consumer. :cool:

According to Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-Calif., who sponsored the bill in the House, until passage of the law, official FCC policy had recommended that consumers mute commercials if they found them to be too loud.

Finally. It took forever, but I'm sick of turning the volume down at every commercial, and up afterward.

I still don't understand why it took a law to eliminate this totally idiotic practice. People have been complaining about it for years, decades even.

I hope this is broad enough to do something about things other than television. Since TV broadcasts and stuff like cable services will go away as older generations of people who are used to them (seriously, go work in an office full of middle aged and up people...its like they can't even attempt to work without a TV as background noise...so sad) go away and generations more used to personalized entertainment start to take over.

since they can t get your attention with a hightened sound volume , they will have to do it by doubbling the number of commercials instead of the sound.

Bravo!! *slow hand clap*

since they can t get your attention with a hightened sound volume , they will have to do it by doubbling the number of commercials instead of the sound.

Bravo!! *slow hand clap*
And people stop watching altogether, companies stop paying for commercials and then there's not enough money to make more TV shows, yay!

I don't think I've watched commercials for about 6 years when I got a TV card that let me pause/record TV so I could pause at the start of a show for a few minutes and then use the buffer to skip ads.

Now they just need to stop loud ads that automatically play when you open a web page, though I think that'll be much harder to regulate.

My ears thank them for passing this law. If they can pass a country-wide law that would prohibit people from blaring their damn car stereos at all hours of the day or night I'd be a very happy person.

Bravo!! *slow hand clap*

I'm patient enough to wait for the torrent. All this means for me is smaller torrents.

yeah I would have to take a law to get them to tone it down. geez and about frikking time too.

I hope this is broad enough to do something about things other than television. Since TV broadcasts and stuff like cable services will go away as older generations of people who are used to them (seriously, go work in an office full of middle aged and up people...its like they can't even attempt to work without a TV as background noise...so sad) go away and generations more used to personalized entertainment start to take over.
It's funny how you mock that generation when the current one can't go 5 minutes without checking something on their cell phones. :rolleyes:

Loud commercials always annoying me but it's too late now I quit watching TV :rolleyes: Besides, there are still too many commercials and it's a hassle to have to record them and play a stupid fast forward rewind game to skip them.

who still watches tv?

Where else can you see commercials for drugs that will take away your allergies but might kill you in the process? Or maybe you need to buy a new car every week so you need a car commercial to come on at every commercial break.

A law needs someone to get off their butt to enforce it! Of course if the FCC can fine them and there is a profit in it then something might get done.

The advertisers have been hurting themselves for years. I do mute it and therefore their ads never get heard at all. Duh...Common sense should've told them this. I'd fire all the ad executives that approve ear blasting ads. They loose revenue from this practice I'm sure.

who still watches tv?

120921.jpg

You download shows with commercials? lol...
Smaller download = shorter time = more commercials = no commercials included

If they did include more commercials cause they're not allowed to pump up the volume.

As the country teeters on the edge of the "fiscal cliff," it's comforting to know our leaders in Washington have the steely courage to take action against the national scourge of overly loud commercials.

For once a law I can get behind.

Oh, don't bother going back there. I already checked...it's got metal underwear so you're probably better off hiring an adult service provider or looking at the personals on Craigslist.

Oh, don't bother going back there. I already checked...it's got metal underwear so you're probably better off hiring an adult service provider or looking at the personals on Craigslist.
Ah, the trusty old steel chastity belt. At least now I won't get social leakage.

Super - yet another government position manufactured to raise my taxes. People are f'ing stupid to not realize the cause and effect of these moronic laws.

meh... I DVR everything I watch on TV now-a-days...

Though I remember about 10 years ago a TV vendor used to have tech built into the TV that would normalize the commercials... I think it was magnavox (are they still in business???)

A few years ago when I got my plasma, thought every tv would have the tech... but no... I just assumed they got their asses sued off...(or paid off lol)

My ears thank them for passing this law. If they can pass a country-wide law that would prohibit people from blaring their damn car stereos at all hours of the day or night I'd be a very happy person.

Hard to catch moving objects for making noise. By the time you report the car, the person would be long gone and by the time a patrol car showed up, the car would be countless km away.

Sounds like the FCC is targeting TV stations, which is kind of dumb. They should target the companies that make the commercials instead. Regulators are making more work for TV stations which now have to screen and volume correct commercials, while ad agencies can continue submitting loud media in the hopes that once in awhile it gets through.

Still, even a flawed law is a welcome change.

Though I remember about 10 years ago a TV vendor used to have tech built into the TV that would normalize the commercials... I think it was magnavox (are they still in business???)

Yeah the last CRT we got for our living room was a magnavox and it still worked up to the day we replaced it with a plasma (it's probably been 15 years or longer be now; we got it in the 90s). I remember reading about that feature, but I was still a kid at the time so I didn't really understand its importance. No clue if they're still around.

It is good to know that our government is hard at work protecting the interests of the people...LOL, who the fuck am I kidding. The government has time for stupid ass shit like this but:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...lement-proves-the-drug-war-is-a-joke-20121213

Yeah, fuck these clowns.

:rolleyes:

I get seriously mad thinking about how many resources (and lives, many, many lives) are wasted on such "wars". They make something illegal in order to evade taxes and bump the price, AND make the general public pay for this whole operation.

I emailed DishNetwork about this two years ago. They said it was out of their control... My arse it was. Its the primary reason I stopped watching TV. Nothining like falling asleep to Family Guy only to wake up with some douchbag high pressure car salesman screaming about inventory and sale prices. OxyClean was also bad.

Back