New Last of us footage released..

This game and Beyond: Two Souls are the only console games I'm interested in this year.
Maybe I'll finally start getting some of the games I haven't bought yet (like Uncharted 2 & 3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2 & 3, and Resistance 2 & 3).

I'm looking forward to this game but I'm afraid it's a typical 4-6 hour, linear, single player game that you get now days. Just like Uncharted, I'm sure this game is going to be cool, but for $60, under 10 hours of game is not worth it.

I'm looking forward to this game but I'm afraid it's a typical 4-6 hour, linear, single player game that you get now days. Just like Uncharted, I'm sure this game is going to be cool, but for $60, under 10 hours of game is not worth it.

Well NG has said the singleplayer portion is going to be over 12 hours..
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/396606/the-last-of-us-campaign-is-12-16-hours-long/
we'll just have to see if that holds up when it comes out, and there's multiplayer but no details have been released on it but I really enjoyed U2&3's multiplayer so.

I still have my PS3 waiting for this to drop, I sold my 360 awhile ago trying to offload crap I didn't play anymore. Sold my main PC, 360, laptop, etc. Everything other than my Wii, no one would buy it. :(

was there actual game footage? All I saw was to hipsters blah blah blahing

I cant wait for this its looks amazing. I really need to start working on my backlog so I have time to play this once it comes out.

Uncharted 2 & 3 had some of the best multiplayer/co-op this gen. Sorry you missed it.

I'm still so tempted to get a ps3 and catch up on all the great sony exclusives I've missed out on :/ This game and Beyond: Two Soles have never made me want a ps3 so much

This is going to be one of the best games of the year. Naughty Dog games are the primary reason I own a PS3 since I can't get them in a handful of other strays on the PC.

This game and Beyond: Two Souls are the only console games I'm interested in this year.
Maybe I'll finally start getting some of the games I haven't bought yet (like Uncharted 2 & 3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2 & 3, and Resistance 2 & 3).

Same here. I never did pick up the Uncharted games...or Heavy Rain for that matter. Played the demo and it seemed alright.

Really looking forward to The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls looks good, too.

Perhaps watch more than 2 minutes of the video

Actually, to be fair, they were talking throughout the entire video and more than half of the actual time was spent looking at them talking to each other.

I'm really looking forward to this game but I do wish this video had more actual gameplay, it was mainly an interview and not really a gameplay showcase.

There are already long game play videos out there. Watch those instead if that is what you want.

Wow, do I get sick of people bitching about linear games. People pissed and moaned that the new Tomb Raider was too linear and I thought it was amazing. I like Final Fantasy XIII, too. I guess I must be a mouth breather.

If you want sandbox, go play fucking Skyrim. Enjoy your huge, mostly empty world populated by the occasional zombie-eyed NPC who repeats the same six lines of dialogue. This shit bores me out of my skull. Why not just watch a Nat Geo nature special on TV if you want pretty landscapes?

I just finished Tomb Raider. Getting ready to start the Uncharted series. Picking up The Last of Us on release.

Give me a compelling story. Give me characters I care about. Give me more linear please.

There has to be a balance. A game has to have REALLY good story/gameplay for it to be incredibly linear and pull it off, IMO. If you're just being forced along on rails, shooting stuff and you have no real connection or idea why, then it's a failure.

But I agree that this push for "SANDBOX ALL THE GAMES" is not warranted, and many genres/storylines don't benefit from that and can even be detrimental to the game.

There has to be a balance. A game has to have REALLY good story/gameplay for it to be incredibly linear and pull it off, IMO. If you're just being forced along on rails, shooting stuff and you have no real connection or idea why, then it's a failure.

But I agree that this push for "SANDBOX ALL THE GAMES" is not warranted, and many genres/storylines don't benefit from that and can even be detrimental to the game.

Understood. I've been burned out on the FPS genre for a long time, so rails or no rails, no thanks. Except for the rare, stellar FPS I don't have much interest.

If The Last of Us is half as much fun as Tomb Raider, I can't wait. And I don't care if it's relatively short. Fifteen hours is fine for me. I'm in WoW detox right now. After 7 years in a game that just never ends, I'm ready for something more finite. I haven't even cracked the shrinkwrap on Xenoblade Chronicles. I've heard it's REALLY long.

Last edited:
Linear games are the best games in my opinion.

The games that try to do too much suck.

Give me a good storyline, characters, gameplay, maps that are well thought out, and good gameplay mechanics a long with difficulty any day over the boring grind fest of a game like Skyrim which made me bored to tears and was so easy I could beat it blind.

FYI, starting a few hours ago if you have God of War: Ascension you can play the Last of Us demo RIGHT NOW! You must have the disc to play it.

I don't know why Skyrim gets such a bad rap. There is a lot of story in there if you want to look for it. Not to mention the hundreds of books that have actually writing in them that you can read. :p

Skyrim is fine and lots of people love it. In my circle of friends, several have racked up around 100 hours. I personally find it tedious, however, just like Oblivion before it. The game is beautiful but I find the setting boring and the races are not appealing. Just my opinion. Still very much prefer Final Fantasy XIII to Skyrim but I realize I am in a very small minority.

The embargo is up on Wednesday. Look like they're pretty confident if they're going to sit on this for more than a week after the reviews hit.

"The time between when we finished #TheLastofUs and when it comes out have been the longest couple weeks ever. Reviews hit Wednesday. #hype"

respectable to not embargo review scores until the day of release, naughty dog sounds pretty confident.

The only doubt I have is that they may well put out a PS4 version. I'd even consider it ODD if they hadn't developed one in parallell to have this autumn.

The only doubt I have is that they may well put out a PS4 version. I'd even consider it ODD if they hadn't developed one in parallell to have this autumn.

I would wait if I knew a PS4 version was coming. I just finished Tomb Raider on my PC with the graphics cranked and watching the demo of The Last of Us yesterday made me realize how dated the PS3 is. :(

Thoughts on demo

Loved it. Immediate impression, this was Uncharted reskinned. Not that it would have been a bad thing but I was pleased I realized I was wrong the more I played. I think survival horror fans will be pleased with this game.

The short demo (15 to 20 mins) was tense for the amount of time I played. Hearing the clickers do that clicking sound as the search for you kept me on the edge of my seat. Can’t say I got a huge taste from the demo but it appears you can pick your battles. Sneaking by or creating a distraction so you can slip by may be the better choice.

Battles are intense. No CoD regen health here. You can craft medkits if you have the right supplies. Which means you’ll be looking around in this game for supplies. I managed to upgrade my stick too. Pretty much stuck a blade at the end but seemed better than nothing.

Ammo appears pretty limited even though I had two handguns, only one had a full clip. A single headshot doesn’t even appear to stop a clicker though. Or maybe I’m just bad at aiming lol. You can sneak up for a stealth kill. Judging from the demo, melee weapons well be your main go to weapon.

Shivs seem important. If a clicker grabs you, seems like he’ll always overpower you and kill you. Unless you have a shiv. Then you can quickly hit Square button to stab them. I learned the hard way it won’t always kill them. One of them took 2 shivs. Shivs also seem to be the “lockpick” for the game. Found a door anyways that used a single shiv to open.

The demo ends with you just taking on 4 or 5 fungus people. Only one was a clicker, the others seemed freshly infected so appeared more human. I died about 4 times trying to pass it playing on Normal. Granted some of that was just trying to figure out what I could do and what I can’t.

I absolutely love all of the Uncharted games, so I welcome this shift away from games that are too "open."
Occasionally we need a game that is linear and focused.
I think this might end up being the last major console exclusive I buy this generation. Pretty much everything else is going to be out on the PC, too.

Definite buy for me, though I may wait for a used copy or just a sale. Thought about pre-ordering but none of the pre-order bonuses look good enough for me to pay $60 when I can wait and makes sure the game is good or not, and buy for the same price if I want it sooner rather than later.

A single headshot doesn’t even appear to stop a clicker though. Or maybe I’m just bad at aiming lol. You can sneak up for a stealth kill. Judging from the demo, melee weapons well be your main go to weapon.

I didn't think it was supposed to. ;)

I think Clickers are meant to be avoided.
(can only say from what I've seen in video form thus far though; I don't have access to the beta)

dude. right there with you.

i love showing people how good the faces are in beyond two souls

William daaaafoooe

So reviews tomorrow, but video will very restricted till after release so the guys and gals over at youtube probably won't have anything full-featured to show.

I just ordered a copy. I'm expecting this to be the last PS3 game I buy. "Game over".

So reviews tomorrow, but video will very restricted till after release so the guys and gals over at youtube probably won't have anything full-featured to show.

I just ordered a copy. I'm expecting this to be the last PS3 game I buy. "Game over".

This game is likely going to be my last purchase for this generation, period. I may look into Beyond Two Souls, but I'm likely to skip it since I wasn't that big on Heavy Rain.

I'm definitely picking this up, but because it's only 10-12 hours long I'm going to wait until it's closer to $30 or so.

I'm definitely picking this up, but because it's only 10-12 hours long I'm going to wait until it's closer to $30 or so.

Are you serious? For the past 2 years I find I'm lucky to get 8 hours out of a single player game.

Short of an RPG or massive sandbox game like GTA, I'm not sure I even *want* more than 10 hours for a single player game. A lot of games that try to extend the experience, but end up falling flat or becoming repetitious when they stretch things out too much.
Give me a solid 8-10 hours and enough variety and fun things to do so that I'll want to play through the game again. For instance I've beaten all of the Uncharted games at least twice or more.

Back