New Laptops - HDD / Ram No longer accessible?

Entilza

Limp Gawd
So all these new laptops seem to be all in one machines, no easy access to the RAM, HDD.

I've looked at the bottom seems like tons of screws now to get to anything.. Is it still possible to open it up and swap the HD from these?

Any word on Acer's or Asus's accessibility to these components? Thanks.

totally depends on the model. some still have bottom panels, some are under the keyboard and some are a pain in the ass and need full disassembly. most can still be upgraded unless they are ultra lights/thins or reeeeaaly cheap. you just have to do a bit of research on the models youre looking at.

Have an old credit card or spudger handy; you may need it for those with clips even after removing the screws to the base panel. If in doubt, there is likely a video online. I had an Asus X202E, removed all screws from base cover and push clips in to remove made cover; design is probably similar these days. This is why Best Buy or Micro Center is your friend, you can check it out in stores first.

Every Macbook is like this. So horrible. Anyone wanting a Macbook I WARN them about this and tell them you better max out your CPU and RAM because there is no upgrading on the RAM. You can at least get an external drive for more storage.

I understand Apple wanting to make sure all parts are 100% compatible, but the more I think about it and how their OS upgrades nerf the ability to upgrade a perfectly good Mac, the more I see it as Apple simply wanting to force everyone to buy new machines instead of being able to keep one 5-10 years.

I got an HP 2in1 a few years ago and had to completely remove the motherboard to access the ram slots. It wasn't really hard just time consuming because you have to remove a lot of other things first.

I got an HP 2in1 a few years ago and had to completely remove the motherboard to access the ram slots. It wasn't really hard just time consuming because you have to remove a lot of other things first.
Problem is there are units that dont even have slots. RAM is soldered directly to MB.

Dell Latitude E7xxx series.

Easy ram and hdd/sdd/m.2 upgrades.

You can can change the heatsink/fan and thermal paste without having to remove the motherboard and flip it over.

Loweer Latitude series like E5xxx is almost as good except the heatsink/fan.

Back