New laptop incoming, have a few questions.

w4ffles

2[H]4U
I just ordered a new Lenovo Y40-80 with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-5500U Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 4MB)
Windows 8.1 64
AMD Radeon R9 M275 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz
14.0" FHD LED AntiGlare (1920x1080)
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
4 Cell 48 Watt Hour Li-Polymer
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
$536.60 shipped

I've read the stories about Lenovo bloatware. Should I simply uninstall all of it or do a fresh install of Windows?

Would it be worth it to replace the screen to a nicer one? What price could I reasonably get for the stock screen?

What is required for a Lenovo warranty claim? To be more specific, is a retail receipt required? I bought it new from ebay and couldn't find a clear answer on Lenovo's website.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just ordered a new Lenovo Y40-80 with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-5500U Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 4MB)
Windows 8.1 64
AMD Radeon R9 M275 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz
14.0" FHD LED AntiGlare (1920x1080)
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
4 Cell 48 Watt Hour Li-Polymer
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
$536.60 shipped

I've read the stories about Lenovo bloatware. Should I simply uninstall all of it or do a fresh install of Windows?

Would it be worth it to replace the screen to a nicer one? What price could I reasonably get for the stock screen?

What is required for a Lenovo warranty claim? To be more specific, is a retail receipt required? I bought it new from ebay and couldn't find a clear answer on Lenovo's website.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It'd be fine to just uninstall Lenovo's bloat... the company has been scaling back as it is.

Don't replace the screen... just don't! Finding a good match would likely be difficult (if not impossible), and of course you'd violate the warranty you're asking about. Besides, it's a 1080p panel. Unless the colour accuracy is lousy, you wouldn't get much by replacing it. Windows is notoriously bad at scaling to very high resolutions.

It'd be fine to just uninstall Lenovo's bloat... the company has been scaling back as it is.

Don't replace the screen... just don't! Finding a good match would likely be difficult (if not impossible), and of course you'd violate the warranty you're asking about. Besides, it's a 1080p panel. Unless the colour accuracy is lousy, you wouldn't get much by replacing it. Windows is notoriously bad at scaling to very high resolutions.

I've read that the color accuracy is actually fairly bad, ~60% of sRGB. The contrast and viewing angles are also below average.

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/replacing-lenovo-y40-display-good-one/

According to that link, a high quality replacement panel is $80. It's held in place by only 4 screws and the bezel is easy to take off.

I would of course take a subjective look at the stock screen before I decide anything.

The display on the y40 and y50 are really bad, this is from my experience having seen display models in stores. The saying "no correct viewing angle" comes to mind :p

Of course it will depend on how sensitive you are and picky.

I once bought a monitor because it was cheap. "No correct viewing angle" would be putting it nicely. I got rid of that thing within a week. If the Y40 display is that bad, I'll probably get a replacement.

I'm not even going to power it on and look at the display. The laptop was listed as new but it was clearly used. Back it goes.

Back