New Laptop: HP 2133 8.9" UMPC

jfnirvana292

[H]ard|Gawd
So I took the plunge and bought the HP 2133 mini-note laptop. Let me tell you, this thing is the coolest little laptop i've ever had.

Almost immediately after holding it I could tell it is well built. Its constructed of metal, and has a nice heft to it--not chinsey plastic. The keyboard is great--just like typing on a regular laptop. The screen is super high resolution, especially for its size. 8.9 inch screen and a 1280 x 768 resolution. Just fantastic.

As for performance, this category is the one I was most worried about. I've heard some talk that the VIA processor was crappy. Well, after running vista on it, ive come to the conclusion that it's alright. Not exactly speedy, but not sluggish. I did turn off the "performance hog" settings such as all the graphical frills and it runs a bit zippier. I'd say for what im doing (web browsing, word processing, chatting etc) this is just perfect.

I picked up a Targus 10" portable DVD player case for it--its almost a perfect fit, just a little too tall for the laptop. Thats ok though, since it has a strap to keep it in their tight.

All in all, im impressed. This is one of the nicest machines i've had in terms of quality, and usability for a small laptop. I'd rate it a 9/10.

Specs:

1.2ghz VIA processor
120gb hdd
1gb ram
Wireless
Ethernet
2 USB ports
8.9" 1280 x 768
All metal casing
WIndows Vista

Pictures:

hp2133_one.jpg

hp2133_two.jpg

hp2133_three.jpg

hp2133_four.jpg

hp2133_five.jpg

What's the battery life like?? I've been contemplating one of those for something to bring on jobs where bag space and weight it an issue. Also, have you had any heat issues?

Can you say anything regarding temps? Most People say it really runs hot. I would love to see some temps of the 1.2Ghz version of the cpu.

That looks a lot nicer than the cheaper UMPC models. Next month Dell is supposed to release a similar spec (size, weight, screen size/resolution, but not the same CPU) UMPC. If the Dell has a decent Intel chip inside and is priced less, I'll probably be leaning towards one of those.

What's the battery life like?? I've been contemplating one of those for something to bring on jobs where bag space and weight it an issue. Also, have you had any heat issues?

It lasts a little under two hours doing basic web browsing with high performance settings...i havent tried battery saver yet, but id imagine itd get maybe 2 1/2 hours.

No heat issues so far, it gets a bit warm, but its not like its uncomforable on my lap.

I'm real interested in these but I'm waiting for them to bump up the processor to the VIA Isaiah/CN chip hardocp talked about a while ago. That or take it to a core2 ultra low voltage chip. If they do that I'll get one.

I'm real interested in these but I'm waiting for them to bump up the processor to the VIA Isaiah/CN chip hardocp talked about a while ago. That or take it to a core2 ultra low voltage chip. If they do that I'll get one.

Yeah, i would imagine theyll come out this fall. If its a significant difference i may through this guy up for sale and rebuy the newer model..i average 3 months for each laptop i get--im a consumer wh*re.

That got me thinking... if Dell puts an Atom in its model, will I want to upgrade when a dual core Atom CPU is available later in the year? Meh, I'll just stick with my useful and functional dual core cheap laptop for a while. It weighs twice as much, but has a dual core 1.47GHz Merom, DVD burner, 15.4" screen and faster everything else.

To the OP I`m gad to hear about the performance. I had some doubts about it performing, especially with vista. I just received my 2133 today with the same specs as yours. Enjoy yours, I know now I will enjoy mine .

To the OP I`m gad to hear about the performance. I had some doubts about it performing, especially with vista. I just received my 2133 today with the same specs as yours. Enjoy yours, I know now I will enjoy mine .

Let me know how you think it performs... make sure you adjust vista for best performance...

I'm posting from it right now. Not too bad, will have to figure out vista as this machine is my first encounter with vista. Give me some time with it.

I'm posting from it right now. Not too bad, will have to figure out vista as this machine is my first encounter with vista. Give me some time with it.

I just configured mine to be like XP.. so no need for adjusting for me :)

already figured how to do that . I must be getting old. I had to increase the font size, it was simply too small for me default. I'm done for today. I have to get some sleep.

already figured how to do that . I must be getting old. I had to increase the font size, it was simply too small for me default. I'm done for today. I have to get some sleep.

Yeah, i bumped mine up too. Its fine, the high res screen is well worth it and its the price you pay... if it had a lower res screen like the EEE, probably wouldnt have to do that..

Today I installed a nlited version of XP on my 2133 along with 2gb of ram. The 2133 really likes XP better than VISTA, it's actually speedy until you really need that processor :( .
I didn't buy this laptop for speed, just for portability and light video and pr0n:)D) watching.

sorry for the long time in getting back to you. I can say I can play DIVX short movies from the internet without lag at all.

As a second reply, I just got done watching a SPAWN dvd , it played fine but I did notice some artifacts while playing, nothing major but was noticeable. It does get hot when you play dvd's so watch out.

Back